The Villages Under 55?

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
One catch... You have to be 55 to buy.

Talk to the VCDD ( ww.districtgov.org ) in Lake Sumter, they will advise better.

Maybe setting up the house in a trust will work better, give them life estate.
Unless I am missing something, this isn't the case.
We are already working with the Villages to purchase for in-laws and they will not be on the deed and there are many that we have met that purchased in the area that are far younger than us as either an investment property or retirement home for when they decide to move down there.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:44 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
One catch... You have to be 55 to buy..
Fake News
Old 08-05-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
First off thank you for this wonderful forum full of great information.

My wife and I started looking for homes in the Villages this year for my in laws. Our plan to purchase for them and let them retire and enjoy the life that this area offers. In our two lifestyle visits to the area, we have really enjoyed it.

What we have come to realize is that we might be the people that like it a bit more than them. We play golf, like golf carts, enjoy dining out and work from home as we are both self employed. I am just south of 50 years old and my wife is a bit younger than that.

The question I have is, while I know the laws allow a small percentage of under of the age of 55 people to buy and live, what about the lifestyle? Would we feel out of place or looked at differently for being younger? Could we be involved in clubs or activities?

Not sure it is something we would consider with the inflated costs currently, but something we have been discussing and wanted to get residents thoughts on the matter.
My wife and I sound a lot like you. At 54 and 51, on a whim, we did a Lifestyle visit. We bought our first home a year later. The plan was for our in-laws to move in and we would visit. After a number of trips, we bought a separate place for them. Our neighbors are all older, and wonderful. Haven't had time to seek out friends closer to our age, but they are here.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
One catch... You have to be 55 to buy.

Talk to the VCDD ( ww.districtgov.org ) in Lake Sumter, they will advise better.

Maybe setting up the house in a trust will work better, give them life estate.
You have to be old enough to sign legal documents. That would be age 18, unless you're an emancipated adult under 18.

ANYONE who can legally sign legal documents, is allowed to BUY in the Villages. You *cannot* live in the Villages if you are under 19. You are not SUPPOSED to be allowed to live in the Villages until you hit 55, UNLESS there are still vacancies among the 20% of the properties that fall into the exemption OR unless someone who IS 55 or older is living with you.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:55 AM

There are a million things to do during the day, depending on your interests, and age probably won't factor in. However, it is mighty quiet at night. 9pm is pretty much lights out. Can you rent for a while before buying to be sure it suits you? Best of luck.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:04 AM

I also had the same concerns about being "out of place" and my two cents would be to carefully select the right area to live. My lifestyle stay was in Brownwood so of course it was younger and perfect. However, I chose to move to Lake Sumter and definitely felt out of place as I noticed my area was a bit older, over 65, not that there is anything wrong with that but it was just not a fit for me. I am now in the newest area South, which the opposite vibe and a younger crowd, I know this is a better fit for me. Just something to consider.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
First off thank you for this wonderful forum full of great information.

My wife and I started looking for homes in the Villages this year for my in laws. Our plan to purchase for them and let them retire and enjoy the life that this area offers. In our two lifestyle visits to the area, we have really enjoyed it.

What we have come to realize is that we might be the people that like it a bit more than them. We play golf, like golf carts, enjoy dining out and work from home as we are both self employed. I am just south of 50 years old and my wife is a bit younger than that.

The question I have is, while I know the laws allow a small percentage of under of the age of 55 people to buy and live, what about the lifestyle? Would we feel out of place or looked at differently for being younger? Could we be involved in clubs or activities?

Not sure it is something we would consider with the inflated costs currently, but something we have been discussing and wanted to get residents thoughts on the matter.
Don’t be put off by the age thing. Been down here for three years, I’m 58 and my wife just turned 55. We have much more in common with friends that are older. Plenty to do. PS. I got schooled in pickle ball by a 84 year old lady. Just have fun.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs631 View Post
Don’t be put off by the age thing. Been down here for three years, I’m 58 and my wife just turned 55. We have much more in common with friends that are older. Plenty to do. PS. I got schooled in pickle ball by a 84 year old lady. Just have fun.
We do as well, which is why this made a bit of sense to ask.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
We are in our 50s, still working.
We love it

The only thing that sucks is when you see your retired neighbors leaving to golf at 10AM on a tuesday and you have a zoom meeting.
THIS. It can be almost depressing to be working and seeing everyone out and about doing things while you're chained to your desk. Having said that, we're mid 50's and we both love it. Not here full-time, but heading towards 8 months a year. There is a south of 60 club which we joined but haven't had a chance to take part in anything yet.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
THIS. It can be almost depressing to be working and seeing everyone out and about doing things while you're chained to your desk. Having said that, we're mid 50's and we both love it. Not here full-time, but heading towards 8 months a year. There is a south of 60 club which we joined but haven't had a chance to take part in anything yet.
Please do let me know how that goes. Very curious.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:46 AM

I'm curious as to the origin / meaning behind your forum name TourVan.

In your OP you mentioned you & better half like eating out...I'm sure others will disagree, but there is a real lack of diverse or interesting restaurant choices here. Lots of fast food choices and national chains, but little in the way of fine dining, independent, or ethnic restaurants.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
I'm curious as to the origin / meaning behind your forum name TourVan.

In your OP you mentioned you & better half like eating out...I'm sure others will disagree, but there is a real lack of diverse or interesting restaurant choices here. Lots of fast food choices and national chains, but little in the way of fine dining, independent, or ethnic restaurants.
The origin of the name is golf related. 😀
Old 08-05-2021, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
The origin of the name is golf related. 😀
Golf you say. Golf is our name, and golf is our game here...but it is probably NOT the same atmosphere of Golf you had before. We really don't have "Country Club Golf" and leagues and stuff like we used to. The Ambassadors are not the "boom lowering" sort and so slow play is spoken to but not harshly. There are some mighty fine golfers here, no mistake and they are just as passionate (almost) as those on the tour, Van..

And don't EVER, ever, ever, ever in any instance, let that white hair fool ya.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:48 AM

Come. I was 45 and hubby 48 when we moved here 20 years ago. You'll fit right in. People don't really care about your age, just your fun attitude. Any Village you like is fine, all have mixed ages, especially the older ones. As people reach their late 70s, early 80s, they move back home or to assisted living and younger people are moving in. Happening in my neighborhood right now north of 466. Come early and enjoy longer, we're glad we did.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:25 PM

I moved here 20 years ago and my wife was 47 and when people questioned her living here she would tell them that I was over 55.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, area, enjoy, people, bit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.