The Villages in the Winter

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I am not a homeowner or resident yet, but I will still give you my $.02 worth. The reason to choose the villages has little to do with optimal weather IMO. the weather is very good in the winter compared with most other places in the U.S., but it is not Honolulu. The reason to choose the villages is that there is NOWHERE else, south, north, east, or west, that offers the lifestyle of TV. You may find a place with better winter weather, but will it have the pools, rec centers, lifetime learning center, library, 28 exec. GCs, 9 Country Clubs, live entertainment every nite at 2 (soon to be 3) town squares, and the most active group of like minded people in existance? If so BUY NOW!
Please pass the Kool-Aide.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Gold member
Default What he said

Quote:
I am not a homeowner or resident yet, but I will still give you my $.02 worth. The reason to choose the villages has little to do with optimal weather IMO. the weather is very good in the winter compared with most other places in the U.S., but it is not Honolulu. The reason to choose the villages is that there is NOWHERE else, south, north, east, or west, that offers the lifestyle of TV. You may find a place with better winter weather, but will it have the pools, rec centers, lifetime learning center, library, 28 exec. GCs, 9 Country Clubs, live entertainment every nite at 2 (soon to be 3) town squares, and the most active group of like minded people in existance? If so BUY NOW!
I AGREE-- get here woon-- we'll leave the light on for ya.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
Do ya'll think it is warm enough in TV during the Winter or should I look more to the South? I did a search on "Winter" with no answers. Do the pools close? I see pictures of folks in coats.
This was the question -- not weather it is cold up north and snowing -Thank You
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
How true. And I'm from Ohio so 45 degree days call for only a light jacket.

Bob
Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
When I think of this past February's Groundhog Day blizzard in Chicago with 22 inches of snow on the ground , 60 degrees in February sounds like heaven. TV sign me up.
You got it!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Got to get this house sold. I'm hoping the TV Relocation Program is something that will help us.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Back in the late 60's I was recently married and residing in the D.C. area. In early January my wife and I wanted to escape winter by visiting Florida - for the first time. An aunt and uncle lived in Winterhaven which is not far from TV and we went there. It was rainy and cold, no snow, but not the warm and sunny Florida I had envisioned. My aunt suggested we rent a car, drive to Miami and get on a cruise ship, which we did, ending up in the Bahamas. It was indeed lovely down there and we had a great time.

The reason I am considering relocating to TV is for the lifestyle and amenities rather than "ideal" weather. Like most villagers, I never want to shovel snow again. I have done a lifetime's worth of that! I am renting a place in TV for the month of October. I plan on using a golf cart to get around. I want to experience what it feels like to live in TV. I figure during any serious or prolonged cold spell I can head south, maybe take a Carribean cruise. Frankly, my biggest concern is how well I will be able to handle the humidity rather than the heat or cold. I now reside in a rather dry climate; but one's body adjusts.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Gold member

weatherbase.com has the average daily high for Leesburg in January and February at 70 and 73 respectively.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Sage

Posh - what part of Virginia are you in?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Posh - what part of Virginia are you in?
The Shenandoah Valley
Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Dont let anyone kid you it gets cold in KW I used to live there have to put on long pants. Thats cold for the keys.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
Dont let anyone kid you it gets cold in KW I used to live there have to put on long pants. Thats cold for the keys.
I like to look at the Schooner web cam. Noticed those folks wearing hooded sweatshirts and long pants lots last winter.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
Two years ago when we had record lows during the winter...so did that weather system dip all the way down to Miami as I recall. I also remember friends who vacationed in the Caribbean (even Cancun) and said it was chilly...not what they'd expected! The whole country has been having wacky weather!!

I would agree with the other Villager posts here that when it get's "cold" (and it's all relative) the only thing we shovel here is sunshine!!!
Hey!!; this give me an excuse to dig out my old thread with the link to "The Villages Song"; "Shovelin' Sunshine".

So, without further ado...............

http://shovelinsunshine.bandcamp.com...-sunshine-song

"Shovelin' Sunshine" - The Villages Song
Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Sage

The pools are heated year round to 83 degrees. However only the motivated swimmers are using the pools when it is 60 degrees out! If I were looking for balmy winter "t-shirt" weather, I'd look in southern Florida. There are definitely some chilly days in TV in the winter months. On a few occasions during the winter, the evening entertainment is cancelled due to the cold weather (not often). Some people have fireplaces or turn on the heat! On a few occasions I've warn a winter jacket with hood to the dog park and I've been the only one there .. often when it is balmy there are 20 or 30 dogs at a time.

We are seasonal and I don't like hot weather, so TV is perfect for me. But I know others who have purchased in TV and then moved further south because they were disappointed in the weather.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
Do ya'll think it is warm enough in TV during the Winter or should I look more to the South? I did a search on "Winter" with no answers. Do the pools close? I see pictures of folks in coats.
As a wannbee, I cannot totally answer your question but I have visited Ft Lauderdale to visit my son several times since he moved back to Florda.

JMO -Not that the following is true and I may be wrong but I have heard that people who live in warm weather climates over a period of time, thins their blood and when the temperature drops, it will feel colder than the same temperture of other area's of the country. A temp of 50 degrees is a piece of cake in the northeast but would be cold to a resident of a warm climate.
Central Florida, (TV), will be slightly colder than Miami but I am trying to move to TV for the lifestyle and friendly people. It is a Disneyland for adults.

It's all relative. I' sure there are cold snaps for a while but winters last a lot longer in the northeast.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.