Visiting in September

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Default Visiting in September

Hello, I am an African American single/widowed female planning a visit to TV in a rental for the month of September. I have looked at the demographics and find that there are very few African American residents, little anxiety about that. I just want to determine if this is a good fit for me and will I feel comfortable and accepted as a single African American female. For this stage in my life, I just want to have fun and make new friends no matter what the demographics are, I usually get along with most people. I will be looking around in different villages to see what is offered and where I would benefit for a happy and desirable retirement place in a active adult community. I am still young at heart and want to stay that way by dancing, fitness and enjoying other activities offered. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Platinum member

Hello and welcome. You are right in that there are not a lot of people of color here in The Villages. But my experience has been that most are open and friendly. Of course this experience is that of a white woman with blonde hair so I'm not sure how meaningful it is. There are two African-American clubs listed that you may want to check out. There are phone numbers listed so, if I were you, I would call and get a feeling for what others' experiences have been. There is also a singles club run by a member of this forum named ChaCha. (I'm not single either but it seems like a fun group of like minded people)

http://districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pdf

Hope you like it here. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by BK001; 08-12-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran member

Well from this couple....welcome...most of us don't care if you are purple or green, groups don't matter, individuals do.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Eternal Member

It's a wonderful place. Just reading your post makes me believe you would have no problem making friends and enjoying life here.
There are several single groups, many interesting clubs and so many activities where you could meet people.
Come visit and you'll be moving here before you know it.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Veteran member

I grew up in a lily-white small town in Michigan and moved as an adult to the Detroit area, then to the Raleigh, NC area. In both of those locations, I got to meet and enjoy knowing people from a variety of races, ethnicities, religions and cultures. When deciding where to live in our retirement, my wife and I looked at a number of active adult communities in the Carolinas and in Florida. We found that basically all of them where overwhelmingly white and The Villages is no exception. That actually concerned us as we have no interest in living in a community that excludes people for their race, creed, color, sexual orientation or whatever. It got us wondering if active retirement communities are actively racist or not. We've come to think that the economics of living in an active retirement community favor those who've been more successful financially and due perhaps to the existing (and hopefully fading) racism of the system in American, that has in the past been more likely to be whites than non-whites. Perhaps we're just now seeing that change as more financially successful non-whites are coming to retirement age. But that's just an idle theory and backed by nothing but speculation.

We finally decided to move here early this year and have been loving in. While admittedly we are living in "the bubble" where real-world problems sort of disappear into days filled with having fun, I am pleased to report that I've never heard anybody here in The Villages speaking despairingly of anybody on the basis of those kinds of things. I have heard some strong political opinions expressed, mostly from the right (when the population here is actually about evenly split between Republicans, Democrats and independents according to voting records), but nothing from a racist or homophobic or whatever point of view. Some from possibly a sexist background but normally in the sense of old-fashioned "gents" being overly polite to "ladies".

I think the majority of folks here (or at least the ones I've met and talked with) would welcome you as you sound like you want the same kinds of things out of your retirement that the rest of us do!
Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Come on down. If you are as you say "young at heart" this is the place to be. You'll do just fine here, you will dance all you want, exercise as much as you want, and keep just as busy as you want. Hope you end up making it your home and to meet you someday soon.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:48 PM

I think you will be just fine. You are looking for the same things we all are. The folks we have met have been friendly, helpful and fun. To us, this seems to be a place that people don't care much about differences, but about making friends and enjoying life and this wonderful community. Welcome!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Platinum member

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg2peb View Post
Hello, I am an African American single/widowed female planning a visit to TV in a rental for the month of September. I have looked at the demographics and find that there are very few African American residents, little anxiety about that. I just want to determine if this is a good fit for me and will I feel comfortable and accepted as a single African American female. For this stage in my life, I just want to have fun and make new friends no matter what the demographics are, I usually get along with most people. I will be looking around in different villages to see what is offered and where I would benefit for a happy and desirable retirement place in a active adult community. I am still young at heart and want to stay that way by dancing, fitness and enjoying other activities offered. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know why you should care what anyone on here thinks. Live life the way you want, where you want and if anyone doesn't like it. Well, you know where they can go.
Welcome aboard if you so desire !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 01:59 AM
Sage

Hello peg! Welcome to TOTV! I am a long time wannabee, hopefully will buy in The Villages someday. During your visit, I would recommend you take the trolley tour, which lasts for about an hour. It doesn't cover all of The Villages, but you will get a flavor of what The Villages is like. If you call the Sales Office, you can get details of the Trolley Tour, as to where it leaves from and the times of the tours.

Visit the 3 squares (Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood). Every night from 5 to 9 there is free entertainment in each square. Ask Villagers questions during your visit. Most are happy to tell you about their life in TV. And connect with one of the singles groups while you are visiting; the singles groups seem to be pretty active.

If you like to check out open houses, they are held daily in The Villages. If you buy a copy of local newspaper, The Daily Sun, the open houses are prominently advertised. The developer also lists open houses on The Villages official web site.

I am also visiting in September, and I believe this is my first visit to TV during September. I have been told it's still the rainy season during September, so you may get a late afternoon shower. When I have rented in TV during July and August, I learned to carry a small umbrella with me just in case.

I have found most Villagers to be helpful, friendly and welcoming. I hope you have a fantastic visit!
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Have a friend who moved here and was a single, youngish (closer to 55 than 65) black woman. She made friends -- like you, she was friendly and loved to dance. Well, she still lives here, is now closer to 65, if not already there, and in a committed relationship. Skin color really doesn't matter to the majority of people here. Attitude does.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-13-2017, 08:16 AM

Thank you all for your valuable comments and suggestions. I am soooo looking forward to my visit and am making a list from these comments on things that I can do once I arrive. I love this site, people are so honest and helpful, especially for newcomers. I am excited for my new adventures and about making new friends.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Thank you all for your valuable comments and suggestions. I am soooo looking forward to my visit and am making a list from these comments on things that I can do once I arrive. I love this site, people are so honest and helpful, especially for newcomers. I am excited for my new adventures and about making new friends.
We have friends that belong to both clubs. They are very active in TV and love it here. We have invited them to our home multiple times, play golf go out for drinks, over the last 5 years. I asked once if they ever felt it was the wrong move or felt uncomfortable here. They just smiled, and said they have such great friends here and color of anyone has never been a factor. Staying a month will give you time to enjoy this wonderful place.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
have a friend who moved here and was a single, youngish (closer to 55 than 65) black woman. She made friends -- like you, she was friendly and loved to dance. Well, she still lives here, is now closer to 65, if not already there, and in a committed relationship. Skin color really doesn't matter to the majority of people here. Attitude does.
Amen.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
My wife and I bought our house nearly 2 years before moving here this last February. I was on this site all the time while counting down the days, asking all kinds of questions and nearly always got honest, helpful answers. There may be some jerks here in The Villages and her on Talk of The Villages, but they are vastly outnumbered by happy, helpful people. During visits here, about all you have to do to get people to help you is stand somewhere where there are people and look puzzled. You won't believe how often complete strangers will offer to help here. The key, I think, is that we're all thrilled to be retired, thrilled to have the options that The Villages offers and thrilled to be surrounded by like-minded folks.

Have fun in September! It'll be hot for sure, but if you can take it in Florida in September, you can easily take it the rest of the year. The secret is indoor activities in the afternoon (and there are lots of those!).
Closed Thread

Tags
american, african, offered, demographics, september

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.