Walking paths

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Default Walking paths

Are there any paths only for walkers in the villages?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Veteran member

As far as I know...walkers share the golf-cart paths or they can walk where there are sidewalks.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubhead View Post
Are there any paths only for walkers in the villages?
Good question! I think there is a real shortage of good, safe walking trails in the Villages. A lot of streets don't have sidewalks. Of course you can use the multi-modal trails; if you don't mind dodging speeding golf carts.

The Springdale Fitness Trail is popular for walkers, but I think bikes can also use it.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran member
Default Safe walking in The Villages

Dodging speeding golf carts? Oh, come on now! The walkers on the multi-modal trails are completely safe just as they are safe while walking in the cart lanes on the streets.

The golf cart drivers are courteous and give walkers plenty of room.

There are also folks on bikes, skates, and even powered wheelchairs on the multi-modal paths. Yes, Segways are allowed on the paths, too. (Just hope George W. is not trying to use a Segway again).
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Sage

Hi Hubhead,

I see it's your first post.

I love to walk and find the neighborhood streets and multi-modal paths to be safe and walker friendly. Yes, bikers can use the Springdale Fitness Trail but it's great for walkers. You might find me there. Oops, hope that doesn't run you off.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM

There is a nice walking trail around the perimeter of the Lake Miona Recreation Center. The trail is 8/10 of a mile long and on the side behind the tennis courts there is an exercise area. Check it out.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

There is a fantastic walking trail in the Lake Sumter Landing area with spectacular landscaping, waterfalls, seating along the way, birds, fish, and beautiful sunsets. It is shaped like a figure 8 with a toddler playground in the middle of the 8. It begins behind Barnes & Nobles and Coldwater Creek (look for the covered bridge), and it goes all the way across Old Mill Run behind the Creekside Cabanas.

Only for walkers. If you take your pooch, don't forget plastic bags. (Had to get that reminder in, didn't I? )
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Sage

On the south side, for the most part, you are not usually too far away from either a street with sidewalks (think Canal, Bailey, St. Charles etc.) or a multi modal on BV or Morse.

I think those make for great walking areas.

And your own neighborhood street with sidewalks are just fine as well. I walk all the time while in TV. Never had an issue.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

If you want a little longer trail, a nice trip I take is: start at Sumter landing by Cody's, and walk on the boardwalk as far as it goes, which is along Lake Sumter right behind Lake Shore Cottages, ending up short of the Morse Blvd. bridge. Walk out to Lake Shore Drive then up to Sweetbay on the sidewalk, then take a right over to the off road recreational trail, head towards Barnes and Noble and you'll see the nice trail K-9Lovers talked about. That trail winds around, and you'll come out near Barnes and Noble. I stay on the right side of Barnes and Noble on the right side of the little canal/lock thing, and cut through by ColdWaterCreek, then cross the street and am back by Cody's at the boardwalk. Most of this loop is off road, only pedestrians, and it is a very pretty walk. I walk at a quick pace, and I'm guessing this is about 2 miles.

Depending on what recreational trails you walk on, yes you may be dodging golf carts. Many of them tend to think they own the road. When I ride my bike I've found some to be quite discourteous. Buena Vista is very busy, and there are a ton of golf carts on the Morse trail over Lake Sumter. If you can get out very early in the morning you will find golf carts to be less of a problem. The Springdale Fitness trail out by Lopez is long and seems to be pretty much just walkers, but its not handy if you live south of 466, and its out in the open under power lines. If I lived out there I'd probably use it, but I don't think its very scenic. I do see a lot of people walking through the neighborhoods. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Default Good post

Good post Taj44! ( and Barefoot) The busy areas ( near the market square ,town square, or 466) have way too many golf carts to walk or bike on those paths safely. Again I have lived here full time 7 years, and I both walk and bike. I like to just bike off the main roads in quiet neighborhoods.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

Almost any day when I'm out in the mid- to late-morning driving my golf cart along Buena Vista from Bailey Trail north, I pass by a dedicated walker who I think never stops walking! It seems as though I've seem him forever, and that he's been walking forever!

Point is, he and I exchange greetings with glee, not animosity, and then proceed merrily on our respective ways!

It's what helps define The Villages!

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.