New Owner

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Default New Owner

We just put a deposit on a lot in Sanibel. Expect to build next spring. Any words of wisdom or advice on the process we will be getting into. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdel View Post
We just put a deposit on a lot in Sanibel. Expect to build next spring. Any words of wisdom or advice on the process we will be getting into. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hey bobdel, Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the neighborhood! We're on Baker Ln. Only advice i would have is to stay in touch with your Village Agent and don't sweat the small stuff. They make the process an easy one. Hope to see you around Sanibel in the future, neighbor. And, Y'all come visit, ya heah!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Thumbs up Another new neighbor

Quote:

Thanks
Hi there, We also are in Sanibel on Alee Lane! Welcome! I think we
are going to have to start a Sanibel Pioneer Club! Just remember that TV does NO negotiation on price If you can live with that, you'll be fine. There is no pressure from agents - a positive. Have fun and enjoy the process. We are coming in Oct to actually pick the house, interior, etc so we can write more definitively after that, but GaDawg should know all that already! Sounds like a very affable guy who be happy to answer specific questions!
I just love that more and more people are writing that will be in Sanibel!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage

Hi Bobdel,
Welcome to TOTV and congratulations on your new lot! How exciting.

Click on this link for fabulous advice for newbies from longtime Villager, Zcaveman.

Please keep us posted on your progress. You will love it here!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Sage

Congrats, bobdel. GaDawg is right... stay in touch with your sales rep. Occasionally, TV will offer a discount to "build now." Your rep will be your source for this information. Then you can decide if taking the discount and building earlier than you originally planned makes financial sense for you.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Veteran member

It is so fun to see all the new Sanibel folks! We will be down next week to check it all out. As soon as our house sells here, we can think about joining you all there. It will be fun getting to know all the neighbors!
Good luck to all of us!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 AM

One thing. Tell your contractor you do not want popcorn ceilings. They're put in every new home and it's terrible getting the popcorn off the ceilings.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Sage

Quote:

Thanks
bobdel:

Congrats to you. to TOTV.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran member
Default Pop corn ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfal View Post
One thing. Tell your contractor you do not want popcorn ceilings. They're put in every new home and it's terrible getting the popcorn off the ceilings.
Do you actually have a choice?

When we moved to the Memphis burbs, we were always told when we were house hunting whether a house had smooth ceilings (a big selling point) or not.
We do have nice 9ft smooth ceilings down stairs but popcorn up.
I rather be eatng popcorn than staring at it on a ceiling but after over 10 years it really hasn't bothered us....
Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Default Popcorn is for the movies!

Quote:
Hey texasfal, Now I can't speak for every new home in TV, but I live in Georgia in a home built in the early 90's, and I definately know popcorn ceilings when I see them. That stuff is a pain to get off. However, what I mostly see in new building in TV is either a style known as knockdown, or as our new house will have, orange peel. Much nicer and gives the ceilings and walls some subtle texture. New builds may want to check with their agent and make sure, but most contractors even where I live now quit using popcorn a long time ago. Absolutely true enough, that stuff is a pain!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
That's not true at all. They have not built with popcorn ceilings in many years. At least in the desinger and premier homes. All homes now come with what they call 'knock down' texture and the walls are 'orange peel' as mentioned. Mine was built last year and it was standard then.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Yes, we just closed on a CYV in Tamarind Grove and the ceiling is a knowdown...think it's attractive. No popcorn anymore....
Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
That's not true at all. They have not built with popcorn ceilings in many years. At least in the desinger and premier homes. All homes now come with what they call 'knock down' texture and the walls are 'orange peel' as mentioned. Mine was built last year and it was standard then.
Agreed. Our ceilings (2 yrs old) look a bit like a softer version of the exterior stucco.

Also - in TV you can't tell "the contractor" to change things. A TV home is built from a bill of materials (BOM) generated based on the model with available options chosen. They can build out a quality new home in +/- two months because of this.

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.