Yikes!

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Default Yikes!

Okay, here we go. We're the Orwick's from Findlay, Ohio. We have talked about moving to The Villages for awhile. So......after about a year of discussion, we put our house on the market last Friday evening (03/28). A showing was scheduled before the For Sale sign went up. We expected to have a few weeks to make some arrangements and get things ready for a move. Little did we know that it would sell on Tuesday (04/01). The closing will be in 2 weeks and we have to out by the middle of May. HELP!!!

Now comes all of the fun of.......well, you all know what we are about to take on. Over the last year we have been eliminating lots of "treasures". We're on a first name basis with all of the charity drop-off locations. A few more pieces of furniture to go (the buyer is interested in a few things) and we think we'll be done with that part of the move.

I won't go on and on. You all know the drill. We have a couple of commitments that will keep us here after mid May, but should arrive at TV on June first.

I know we will be doing many TOTV searches and asking many questions. Be patient with us.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Location: Indianapolis, Ft Worth, Naperville, Zionsville, Avon

Welcome to TV. I feel like an old-timer since we bought in January will be full time on May 4. We are in Collier and love the area. Can't go wrong anywhere...
Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Congratulations on the quick sale of your house! Ask away, as there are many kind and well informed people on this forum. Welcome to TOTV and the greatest hometown in the USA!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Welcome to the O's! We just moved here 5 weeks ago and your story sounds similar to ours. We had our house on the market a little longer than you, but we thought we could take our time. However, the sale was quick and the move in/out part was very fast. Getting it all out in the short timeframe gave us little time to consider whether to move/keep/donate/throw away. I guess that made it a little easier now that we look back.

You did not mention if you have a place to move TO in TV. I am thinking you might, but if any of us can be of help, just ask away or let us know. This is truly a community of giving and helpful people. Welcome home!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 PM

Wow that was a fast sale. I am hoping when we list our house it sells that fast. We will be getting rid of lots of stuff though and that is always a pain We will be doing out preview in May and I can't wait to see TV in person. I can't believe how friendly everyone is on TOTV
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM

My 60 cents for what they are worth... Pack up the best of your linens and kitchen items and say goodbye to the rest. Don't bother moving a stick of furniture. It won't fit or look right no matter how much you think it will... People spend tens of thousands in moving costs and then it ends up at Bargains and Treasures...
We brought nothing but kitchen, bath and bedding - and our art work.. Haven't missed one stick of furniture... Have had a great time spending what would have been moving and household sale money on creating a totally new life here in TV...
Welcome to your new home...
Old 04-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Congratulations from Mansfield, Ohio.
We purchased a 2br, 2bath Ranch this past November and look forward to when we can get to TV full time.
Our place is available June 1st if you need a temporary place to stay until you can get settled.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

Great news! Exciting times ahead.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The three of us, me, my husband and our daughter all from Ohio stand ready to help you in any way. Hope you love it here like we do.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Dancing Thyme

Congratulations and best of luck. That was very exciting but its only just begun.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Platinum member

We had the same experience six years ago. Sold our home in Upper Arlington, Ohio in less than 2 weeks and were homeless. Fortunately we found our dream home in 3 days of looking - a resale that we love. You'll have to join the Buckeye Club when you get down here. Enjoy the moment!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 PM

Welcome to TV! Would love some of your luck to rub off on us. We've had our home in Colorado Springs for sale for nearly 9 months now and bought our home here believing we'd sell it quickly. As they say, if you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.....

That said, this was the best decision we've ever made and since we moved in late September we haven't looked back. We didn't move furniture and as a previous poster mentioned brought kitchen things, bedding, towels and art work and started over.

Enjoy your new life!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Sage

Congratulations on the quick sale and welcome home! We've been here almost 8 years and also agree with the suggestion of starting with many new things. We shipped our stuff from southern CA....an expensive move and at this point, MANY of the furniture pieces we brought have been sold and replaced.

No matter what you decide, moving to TV will be exciting....setting up your new home will be FUN!!!!! Enjoy each and every minute of it...
Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyisle View Post
My 60 cents for what they are worth... Pack up the best of your linens and kitchen items and say goodbye to the rest. Don't bother moving a stick of furniture. It won't fit or look right no matter how much you think it will... People spend tens of thousands in moving costs and then it ends up at Bargains and Treasures...
We brought nothing but kitchen, bath and bedding - and our art work.. Haven't missed one stick of furniture... Have had a great time spending what would have been moving and household sale money on creating a totally new life here in TV...
Welcome to your new home...
I disagree, respectfully but vigorously!

Bring the things you love, furniture included. Your things will fit and look good.
If you buy everything here, your house will look just like many others.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

no worries bring all of the things that you think you'll love down here. We have a great garage sales. If you have not bought a home yet I might suggest that you look for a rental for a month or so why you take your time finding the correct house. Sometimes it can be overwhelming how big this place is and where you want to live for the rest of your life.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.