what do you wish someone would have told you

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Default missypie

I agree with rubicon. This board is mainly people who cheer lead for the Villages. (Often doing their postings from another home outside, and don't even live in the Villages full time.) This is a great place to visit or snowbird in but...if you want me to elaborate more just send me a pm.

The link Xavier and Diskman refer to is a great thread.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
It's amazing how some people are sooooooo consumed by politics. Every question has a political answer. It would be a sad day for me to make a decision on where to live based on how many Democrats and how many Republicans live there.

I have a dear friend that I've know for 45 years. He is my daughters Godfather, we've vacationed together, we've traveled abroad together, we visit each others homes regularly. I have absolutely no idea whether he's a Republican or a Democrat and I don't care.
I couldn't agree more. I had thought of responding to Tbug's post, but decided against it. I personally would NEVER give politics a consideration in the process of finding a place to retire. Now that we've lived here for a few years, it is still NOT an issue. My good friend and next door neighbor is about as far right as I am left of center and - who cares!

We began looking at The Villages 15 years before we were ready to make the move, so I guess you can say that we gave it a great deal of thought. It is, by far, one of THE BEST decisions we've ever made.

Before selecting a location within The Villages, I would spend a few weeks/months in a rental or just exploring before I made that decision. We live in the far north end of The Villages and couldn't possibly be more pleased.

Talk Host, what train?

Xavier
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
It's amazing how some people are sooooooo consumed by politics. Every question has a political answer. It would be a sad day for me to make a decision on where to live based on how many Democrats and how many Republicans live there.

I have a dear friend that I've know for 45 years. He is my daughters Godfather, we've vacationed together, we've traveled abroad together, we visit each others homes regularly. I have absolutely no idea whether he's a Republican or a Democrat and I don't care.

TBugs and Avista answered the question. They were replying for themselves, not for you.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Xavier,

If you had absorbed my post, I stated that some people might find the political atmosphere too conservative. I am not one to even consider politics in a move - within reason.

Personally, I do not have one single complaint about The Villages. I love being able to drive my golf cart anywhere to the squares, restaurants, bank, etc. I love the activities. Almost all the people are friendly (only met one or two grouches).

Yes, I am an avid "cheerleader" for The Villages. Best move I ever made and happy to be here with my great wife.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
missypie, we are all different and we all have different points of view as to this thing called "quality of life". The Villages sells its "Lifestyle" You pay a premium for that lifestyle. The long and short of it is that I was never really drawn in by the so called "Lifestyle" My first choice was the Charelston area and had I rented here first would likely relocaed to Charleston. However I won't move in this market because I can never recapture what I expended to move here and living on a fixed income will create tapping into saivings I wish not to disturb at this time. I also am not enarmored with the government model

You may love it here.
Thank you for your honest response.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
TBugs and Avista answered the question. They were replying for themselves, not for you.
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to have an opinion. I won't let it happen again. Bazinga!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to have an opinion. I won't let it happen again. Bazinga!
You are allowed an opinion - but why do you put down their opinion in order to make yours? You don't like it when others do this....

k

PS Love the Bazinga!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

missypie, your welcome....
Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wilson View Post
I agree with rubicon. This board is mainly people who cheer lead for the Villages. (Often doing their postings from another home outside, and don't even live in the Villages full time.) This is a great place to visit or snowbird in but...if you want me to elaborate more just send me a pm.
I can see Larry's point about cheerleaders. I wish he'd elaborate more and share his thoughts with us.

We purchased in 2007 and I love TV. I'm still enthusiastic. However I don't live in TV during the summer months. It would be waaaay too hot for me. Would I buy in TV knowing what I've learned over the last four years? Maybe, but I'd give more consideration to being closer to the ocean.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

Barefoot,

When we decided to move to Florida about 2 years ago, my wife really wanted to be close to the ocean. We looked at St. Augustine and at Jupiter. The same things at both places made us look further inland. We found out that the humidity is much higher in the summer by the ocean than at The Villages. We are from Washington DC area so we know humidity quite well - and The Villages is a lot lower humidity than Washington DC and closer to the ocean, too. The summer here is not as hot and humid as Washington DC and I lived there for about 37 years.

Taxes were higher in both St. Augustine and Jupiter than in The Villages. Windstorm insurance was terribly high in both places and had a huge deductible of 2% of your home value.

We have "beach days" with another couple from The Villages about twice a month where we drive to Clearwater Beach, Honeymoon Island Beach, New Smyrna Beach or somewhere else for the day.

I am a full time resident and love every minute of The Villages.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

The link Xavier and Diskman refer to is a great thread.
Larry, your assertion that the Board is mainly people who cheer lead for the Villages gave me pause for consideration. It does appear that most folks on the Board love The Villages but in my experience out and about in TV they would be representative of most residents here. Total strangers in the square, shops, restaurants will strike up a conversation and inevitably exclaim about how they love it here. Is it everyone? No. But certainly most.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
This is a great place to visit or snowbird in but...if you want me to elaborate more just send me a pm.
That's one option, but I'd ask you to share your thoughts here in the public forum. You already partially opened the door with your "great place...but". I'd like to hear your thoughts, and then any rebuttal that others may have.

Last edited by Cobalt; 06-03-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: To correct who I quoted.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 AM

We are from the north and moved to St. Augustine, full time, 10 years ago. Prior to that, we vacationed here for many years. There is a difference between vacationing and living in an area. The beach is magnificant! HOWEVER, we are making the move to The Villages because of "the lifestyle". There are only so many hours you can sit by the water's edge. We like the many activities offered at TV and look forward to "choices" of what to do. As far as weather? Hot is hot. Yes, St. Augustine is humid during the summer but the breezes make up for that. Inland is hot. Florida is hot. Change the lifestyle during those months, as people up north do. At least you can still get out at night and play tennis/pickleball/walk/bike, etc. It still beats the cold.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Larry, your assertion that the Board is mainly people who cheer lead for the Villages gave me pause for consideration. It does appear that most folks on the Board love The Villages but in my experience out and about in TV they would be representative of most residents here. Total strangers in the square, shops, restaurants will strike up a conversation and inevitably exclaim about how they love it here. Is it everyone? No. But certainly most.
Hi JoJo: I'd have to agree with you. I think most of the TOTV posters are enthusiastic about what The Villages has to offer and TOTV played a major role in helping me make the decision to move here by patiently answering my myriad of questions. But, for someone considering a move to The Villages, it might be helpful to start a thread called 'Villages - not for me'. The reasons for loving The Villages are pretty obvious, the reasons for not loving it maybe not so much. No place is perfect - one person's annoyance may be another person's deal breaker. It would be good to share those opinions to help potential residents make a more informed choice.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran member
Smile

My sister purchased new in 2008. She wished she understood "The Bond" more. It is a 20 year mortage on your home unless you pay it up front. 20-25k on a new designer. Also the IRS issue. May or may not be a future probelm. No one from TV even mentioned it. She purchased in Aug. and TV had the small town atmosphere, winter time crowds are like the beach crowds in the summer. We have freinds who lived in TV for 13 years and just moved back home. They grew "tired" of TV. Also, as they aged they felt the need to be closer to their children. They are in their mid 70's. Rent a home in TV for 6 months if you can. The TAlK HOST sells an online book for about $10 that gives alot of information.
My sister would still buy in TV and she stil love it. We have our north home for sale now and will buy in TV when it sells, but with both eyes open. We hope we can make rational decisions rather than emotional decision on the type of home, location and new vs resale.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.