Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Gold member

That the closest White Castle is in Tennessee
Old 06-04-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Rubicon:

So true as to the point that we all have different points of view on "quality" of life.

There are those that would call it heaven to live on a fresh water lake filled with walleye, bass, bluegill and crappie, and have a pontoon and fish every day. Others would be in paradise in the mountains getting all excited a about the next snowfall to improve the skiing conditions. We are all created differently...and that is all good.

I've never stayed at the villages, only took the quick tour and read about it on the internet. But my wife and I are avid cruisers. We love the warm weather, dancing to oldies music, line dancing, talking with people. I would love to get back into softball, play golf, and she loves crafts and sitting by the pool. For us, that sounds like what the Villages offer.

Gosh I hope it happens, sooner rather than later.
TV's is a cruise ship on land,sooooooooooooooo much to do . Purchased after 2 visits,and months of research, could not be happier with our decision.I was definitely not a cheerleader on this board, i wanted answers to ALL my questions, and "ruffled some feathers" along the way.It's Disney World for adults, visit for awhile and see for yourself, you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

My wife describes it as being in college but not having to go to classes.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Email Reported As Spam

"Cruise ship on land", Disney World for Adults" "college without the classes"
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
That the closest White Castle is in Tennessee
Here in Maryland we don't even have White Castle. However I got hooked on Krystal Burgers when stationed in Savannah in 1972. They're square and small with diced onions & pickels. When we visited TV in April I checked Krystal's website and found the nearest was in Starke and we had lunch there on the way. I know Krystals are down in Orlando from visiting there before, check them out if you haven't already. Steak N Shake also makes a good regular burger.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
For someone considering a move to The Villages, it might be helpful to start a thread called 'Villages - not for me'. The reasons for loving The Villages are pretty obvious, the reasons for not loving it maybe not so much. No place is perfect - one person's annoyance may be another person's deal breaker. It would be good to share those opinions to help potential residents make a more informed choice.
I know at least ten couples that have decided to sell and leave The Villages. Most have been neighbours or people I've met at the dog park. None of them post here. Reasons for leaving? Varied. Some want a large acreage and more privacy. A few want to be close to the ocean. A lot of people want to be close to their kids and grandchildren again, once the "thrill" of TV wears off. Some find it too expensive or too busy.

I find TV perfect as a winter home. I know that many people love it year round. I don't think I could move away from friends and family permanently.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
We have "beach days" with another couple from The Villages about twice a month where we drive to Clearwater Beach, Honeymoon Island Beach, New Smyrna Beach or somewhere else for the day.
All democrats no doubt.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Here in Maryland we don't even have White Castle. However I got hooked on Krystal Burgers when stationed in Savannah in 1972. They're square and small with diced onions & pickels. When we visited TV in April I checked Krystal's website and found the nearest was in Starke and we had lunch there on the way. I know Krystals are down in Orlando from visiting there before, check them out if you haven't already. Steak N Shake also makes a good regular burger.
Sorry for the bit of a hijack - but be very careful driving through Starke. The speed limit drops very quickly - and it is easy to get caught if you don't reduce your speed quickly enough...
Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

Bluedog,

Actually, they are Republican thinking on most items - but we do not talk politics except in very broad terms. The beach days are perfect for soaking up some friendship along with the sun, water and sand.

Try it sometime.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Thank you i will try the one in Ocala
Old 06-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default After moving from NC

to Paradise (TV), I promised myself to branch out and do many things and not lock myself into any one activity or group!....We belonged to a private club in Morganton, NC, and consequently, played golf with the same group of people because the choice was minimal....I don't care HOW much you enjoy friends company when you do it 5 or 6 times a week, the relationship changes....That is one problem you will never have in TV....Many wonderful people and activities....soooooo branch out and enjoy life!...This is one recommendation I would make!
Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

[QUOTE=jojo;359587]Larry, your assertion that the Board is mainly people who cheer lead for the Villages gave me pause for consideration. It does appear that most folks on the Board love The Villages but in my experience out and about in TV they would be representative of most residents here. Total strangers in the square, shops, restaurants will strike up a conversation and inevitably exclaim about how they love it here. Is it everyone? No. But certainly most.[/QUOT

It should be no surprise that the majority of people who spend time (some a LOT of time) on an opinion forum would be enthusiastic supporters of the forum's subject. I have spent time and become members of several sports forums and my beloved University of Missouri, and virtually everyone on those forums is an unabashed fan of the sport or the school. One would not expect a lot of people who were disgusted with or turned off by a subject to log on and read or respond to posts that were mostly very positive about that subject. JMHO Ed
Old 06-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I wish someone would have told us to move here sooner!
Have I told you yet today that you are the smartest girl?????

I wish I had said that, because it is to the point and absolutely correct.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Thank you i will try the one in Ocala
Yep, the one in Ocala is the closest to TV.

If you like White Castles, give Krystals a shot. Sandy and I, refined culinary connoisseurs that we are, prefer Krystals over Whiteys...........

But then on the other hand - as some friends of ours say: "I wouldn't let my dog eat those things!!!"

Bill
Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
missypie, we are all different and we all have different points of view as to this thing called "quality of life". The Villages sells its "Lifestyle" You pay a premium for that lifestyle. The long and short of it is that I was never really drawn in by the so called "Lifestyle" My first choice was the Charelston area and had I rented here first would likely relocaed to Charleston. However I won't move in this market because I can never recapture what I expended to move here and living on a fixed income will create tapping into saivings I wish not to disturb at this time. I also am not enarmored with the government model

You may love it here.
Rubicon, it's so true that what is a great lifestyle to some won't necessarily appeal to others.

This is probably a semi-hijack, but if living in Charleston is your dream, and if living in TV is neither joyful nor comfortably affordable to you, are you sure that staying is your best option?

Have you considered that what you lose by selling in a down market, you might gain by (a) buying in a down market, (b) reduced monthly expenses that don't tap into your savings and (c) greater enjoyment of your life and less stress over finances? Is it possible that if you buy in Charleston now, you will pay less than you would have had you purchased in Charleston when you purchased in TV?

I mention this in the context of this thread because yes, a percentage of people living in TV (or anywhere else), will discover over time that having known this or foreseen that might have led them down a different path. Other paths might still be open.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.