What questions to ask Salesperson during Lifestyle Visit

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2023, 07:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Park on the shoulder of the Turnpike and surmise the housing situation….
Old 02-15-2023, 07:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
Gas, electric, and water is very expensive here. I am in Richmond. TECO the gas company charges $1 per day for service plus you pay for the gas usage. The same for SECO, they charge $1 per day, plus you pay for the electric usage. My last house had FPL Florida Power and Light, our monthly bill was lower. FPL does not have a daily charge.
“Expensive” is relative. My recollection is that SECO is charging about 11 cents per kilowatt hour. There aren’t many places in the nation charging less than that, and there are some states charging as much as three times that much. Last month my water bill was $13 and my sewage bill was $26. There are places charging that much per day for water! Most of us don’t have natural gas. My electricity runs around $110 to $230 per month depending on the temp, with either the AC or the heat turned on 24/7. That’s about, what, $4 to $7 a day?
Old 02-15-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Make very sure you understand the lot access and the use of the gate, your neighbor gets to use the gate (your gate) to get access to the side of their house, so you cannot lock it unless you give them a key. I point this out since you have a dog. Once we understood the dual access situation, villas were out of consideration. The other item, if you dog happens to bark a lot, this may be a problem for your very close neighbors. The garages tend to be small, make sure your vehicle will fit, and a golf cart if you intend to get one. Very limited parking in villas. All of this was from 9 years ago, so there may be some differences in the newer sections.

You may need to get a MLS realtor (for resale homes) and a Villages agent (for new homes).
MLS Realtor for Pre-owned and a Villages Sales Agent for new and Pre-owned, that covers all available homes for sale.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:45 AM
Default Questions to ask

Ask about the bond, the full amount and the monthly payments, which are in addition to any mortgage. All new houses have a bond which buyers have to amortize in addition to amenity fees etc. Or you can pay it in full up front or at a convenient time. Most houses north of 466 have the bond already paid. Also, there's more greenery in this area. South of 466A the area lacks established landscaping. Fences are not allowed, so consider courtyard villas, which have their own walled-in area.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
“Expensive” is relative. My recollection is that SECO is charging about 11 cents per kilowatt hour. There aren’t many places in the nation charging less than that, and there are some states charging as much as three times that much. Last month my water bill was $13 and my sewage bill was $26. There are places charging that much per day for water! Most of us don’t have natural gas. My electricity runs around $110 to $230 per month depending on the temp, with either the AC or the heat turned on 24/7. That’s about, what, $4 to $7 a day?
SECO is a co-op and we find their electric rates much better than Duke energy, which is not. Unless the house is gas, which we do not care for, find out which electric company supplies your prospective home.

If you decide to buy a CYV, I suggest you buy a 2 car garage one, or a 2 plus golf cart, with both having a straight driveway.

Don’t know how large your dog is, but there is quite a bit of wildlife here. A CYV is not a safety zone from bobcats or birds of prey
Old 02-15-2023, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
Long time lurker to the forum but first post. I just booked a lifestyle visit for June. My wife & I want to look at some houses of course - we're leaning towards CYV because we have a dog and would like a fenced in yard. I'm leaning towards a new house while my wife is leaning towards a more established house / village. We have been to TV twice but only for a day at a time - this will be our first extended visit.

I'm aware of the North v South debates and also understand there really is no bad place to live in TV. I'm curious as to if there are better locations in terms of bonds / taxes.

I have read comments on other threads that the salespeople don't necessarily volunteer information. I'm wondering what questions / information do you wish you had asked for while you looking for your house.
We were told during our visit eight years ago that The Villages was nearing completion. You could always get an update on that.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Ask why on the South and new side the sales people don't point out the following: Loud turn pike noise, no shops and no stores and no land reserved to build any. You'd best buy on the North side.
You must have missed Magnolia Plaza, Sawgrass and the two new "Squares"/commercial areas currently under construction at Eastport and Middleton.

Last time I checked here, only 4 people admitted moving from the Southen Villages to the northern sections.

Plus within 15-30 mins of shopping in Leesburg and Claremont. Or 45 min to Tampa/Orlando.

Last edited by Altavia; 02-15-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Long time lurker to the forum but first post. I just booked a lifestyle visit for June. My wife & I want to look at some houses of course - we're leaning towards CYV because we have a dog and would like a fenced in yard. I'm leaning towards a new house while my wife is leaning towards a more established house / village. We have been to TV twice but only for a day at a time - this will be our first extended visit.

I'm aware of the North v South debates and also understand there really is no bad place to live in TV. I'm curious as to if there are better locations in terms of bonds / taxes.

I have read comments on other threads that the salespeople don't necessarily volunteer information. I'm wondering what questions / information do you wish you had asked for while you looking for your house.
I’ve just moved into a nicely landscaped 11 year old courtyard villa just north of 466A in a very quiet neighborhood from a fancier house here with a pool. The “lawn” in the courtyard is about 3x8’, which is just dandy for a little dog and easy to mow with a string trimmer. The dog has about a 60’ run on concrete with no need for a leash and can come and go as it likes. There are three sliding doors, and it’s easy to put in a dog door to the courtyard in one of them (if you put one on a door to the lanai, of course, you will also need one in the screen to the courtyard). Tinker says the gate has to remain unlocked. He’s seldom wrong, so I don’t dispute that, but that’s news to me. But the latch is high and hard to open, and I’m sure my neighbor would ask before entering. I appreciate the privacy and quiet of a courtyard villa. There is a lot of concrete at mine, so there is a lot less yard work and fewer animals and bugs.

A few questions to which you might not get answers.
Q. Are there more mosquitos and other flying bugs south of 44?
A. Definitely. The neighborhoods down there are surrounded by unsprayed swamps. You will get lots of them. I haven’t yet seen a mosquito north of 466A.

Q. What percentage of Villagers drive around in political parades on golf carts with placards, shouting at people, as shown on television?
A. The Villages is said to be 70% Red and 30% Blue, but probably fewer than 1% ride in golf cart rallies, and few have political flags. We vote, but most of us keep our mouths shut because we have good manners. Some don’t have good manners. A date once threw a martini in my face at the Arnold Palmer bar for questioning comments by her favorite president. I still paid the bar tab.

Q. How many people in The Villages contract STDs.
A. Virtually none. Most of us watch television at night. The STD rate per 100,000 is FAR lower in The Villages than in the surrounding areas, much less in cities like Ocala or Orlando. You have zero need to worry.

Q. How many people in The Villages are swingers?
A. Probably fewer than a hundred, and many of those mostly in their fond memories, not active. They don’t have colored scrunchies on their golf carts, and you are unlikely to ever meet one.

Q. What percentage of Villagers have been vaccinated?
A. We were told that at one time it was 90%, but who knows what percentage has kept up with their boosters? I have. We do tend to get vaccinations for flu, shingles, pneumonia, etc., more than younger people do because we know these things can make us very sick, cause us a lot of pain, or even kill us.

Q. What is it like to live in a city where nearly everyone you see is old and wrinkled and maybe sick, and one rarely sees young people?
A. It’s weird. I’m not used to it yet. Discussing our medical concerns is one of the most common topics of conversation. We may be playing golf or pickle ball every day, but death is still omnipresent, always there behind the pleasure. Every round could be our last. Two of my friends have died this year—one out of the blue at 67, and one around 85–and another barely survived. Another died last year at 78. And I don’t have all that many friends. On the plus side, it can be very hard to get your kids to discuss your upcoming death with you, but here, many of us are willing to discuss that.

Last edited by MandoMan; 02-15-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

As is typical on this forum, there are many good suggestions, and some misinformation. While you are here, take a look at the open houses and spend some time driving to them. That will give you an opportunity to see all the areas of TV, as well as the types of houses available.

Since you are interested in a CYV, drive through a few of the CYV communities north, center and south. We have lived in two CYV's. A redesign occurred at some point during construction of the southern area. CYV's now have two car garages and straight driveways. It is one of the reasons that we relocated to the south.

Good luck. It is a large place with lots to see and lots to learn. You may be overwhelmed at first, but remember, it is hard to go wrong. All areas have their particular advantages, and none of them are bad. We made four trips before deciding where to buy.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:22 AM

Ask about any additional taxes in Villages like Pine Ridge and Pine Hills in Lake County. I’ve heard there is some type of tax there that is not in Sumter and Marion but never confirmed.

The Coleman prison is the largest maximum security prison in the country.

Be aware of buying near the turnpike. Traffic on it is constant and many that bought close to it now complain of the noise.

Living close to a pickle ball court is a definite no-no for some. They start playing at dawn and go to dusk.

There is a train track that runs by a big part of The Villages and blows their horn at crossings and can be heard in lots of Villages.

Totally agree with another statement on here about buying a house with open land behind it. You are never guaranteed what will be built behind you. Actually you are never guaranteed things that do exist won’t go away either. Just as anyone near the old Hacienda pool, pool bar, restaurant, golf pro shop, and tennis courts about that.

Visit the house or villa you are considering at different times of the day to check it out.

Most of these things would not bother me but might bother you or your wife. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2023, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Askaway

just remember you can ask who you want, but if it's not in writing it's not 100% true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
We asked about hidden costs. We wanted to know EXACTLY whatr TV charges, water, electricity, gas. etc. etc.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:29 AM

If you see a previously owned home you like, find out if any changes, including landscaping have been made. If so, ask to see the Architectural Review Approval and permits. And as about the bond. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:55 AM
Default Question to ask salesperson,

One thing people overlook is, how many cable providers can I get in this area. Some areas north of 466A only get Xfinity.
Nothing wrong with competition.

Quote:

Old 02-15-2023, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I recommend Gerry Andrews. He was our assigned agent on our lifestyle visit. We told him what we were looking for and the area and budget. Never tried to push anything else and was very forthcoming with information when questioned.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:03 AM
Gold member

Who is responsible for replacing fences? The Villages have fences installed everywhere, but didn't know homeowner responsible?
Closed Thread

Tags
house, visit, leaning, questions, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.