How friendly are The Villagers?

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Smile How friendly are The Villagers?

1)We toured a retirement place in Tennessee, with a resident. It had 1200 homes and will have 3000 when finished. 1 golf course, 1 restaurant and 1 swimming pool...on the other hand $4.95 for a great hamburger lunch, $18 to golf and $600 property tax. I swear every single person knew each other's names. The 'tour guide' resident made us come to their house for the best spaghetti I've ever had and wouldn't let us leave until 10:30 that night. Had we not had a motel room, guess where we would have stayed. Almost too friendly.

2)The perfect location for us would have been Dataw Island, Beaufort, SC. $3000 per month to golf wasn't exactly what we had in mind, on the other hand 'Morning' meant coffee and 'check the members' forum'. One post might be, 'my kids and grandkids are coming next week-does anyone know where I could rent a crib'? 30 min. later 3 members offer to bring one over and set it up. Another 30 min. 5 members are begging to have one of the families stay in their extra rooms. Now that's friendly.

3)My wife and I met in high school near Akron, Oh. We both graduated from Miami of Oh. 44 years later we are about to put our house up for sale in April and hopefully move to TV. Activities such as playing golf together on the executive courses, dancing and meeting new people are drawing us to TV.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, are there any Villagers with similar interests who would like to show us around and maybe share a round of golf later this spring?

'Anxious' retirees from Charlottesville, Virginia
Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Dear anxious couple.

Please stop worrying and get yourself here as soon as possible. There are so many things to do that sometimes we just have to scratch a NOTHING day on the calendar to regroup. AND FRIENDLY........

If I choose to read the paper on my front porch, every few minutes walkers are saying " good morning" and people are waving from golf carts. (These are people I haven't met). If I choose to go out my back door to Odell pool and read a book, I never get the book read, because someone with a big friendly smile will strike up a conversation and soon we are having a friendly quarrel about who has the smartest grandchildren. If I choose to go to Barnes and Nobel to buy a book, I find myself in another lively conversation, sometimes started by me, most times started by another.

I have found that there are so many people who play golf and who are also from Ohio, (We were born in Columbus) that I could never enjoy even a portion of them. We didn't graduate from Miami University but our children did.

Since I moved here I found time to learn Mahjong, attend Lifelong Learning College colored pencil portrait class and discover at least four couples from our neighborhood back home who live here. I have found that we Ohioans are the only people with unaccented speech, and that people from Virginia, New York, Boston and New Jersey talk a little funny, but people from Indiana sound just about right.

I have played bingo, bunko, bridge and bocce. I have made four tons of potato salad for pot lucks. I have laughed until my sides ached. I have hugged and touched peoples hands who have touched my heart.

I never, EVER, expected to be this happy.

Friendly? YOU ain't seen friendly yet. Come on down!

P.S. We would be glad to show you around and play golf with you. P.M. when you plan to arrive.

GracieGirl et al.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 AM

We too are looking, Thanks GracieGirl for more insight on the friends you have made and taking some of the worry out of this BIG move. We are from Michigan, with a mobile on Pine Island Florida. We have so many good friends we hate to leave both places and worry how long before we would have close friends to rely on for those trying times.

ajdeck
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Sage

Can't say it any better than Gracie... well done, girl.

And, although Gracie, by nature, is a very friendly and outgoing person, her experiences are pretty common.

So Virginians, come on down and let us know via the website when you'll be here and I'm sure there will be a group meet and greet arranged.

A Happy Marylander!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hi, We moved from South Fl.to TV and their is so much to do,and people they are so nice.So don't waste your time thinking about it, time goes by fast and you aren't promised tomorrow. Be glad to meet and play golf,I also agree with Gracie. Mary
email shwedwards@comcast.net
cell 352-603-5333
Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hi,

We are moving to TV next month - following some friends from home who moved about 18 months ago. Their neighbors - who we have only met a couple of times - stop by our house periodically to check on the construction progress. And yes, Gracie is always that friendly. She and I do disagree on accents. being originally from Western Mass (where we say r's where they should be and don't add them where they don't) I am of the opinion that we are the only folks in the country with no accent. I concede that my cuter half - being from near Cape Code and Maine - has a horrific one. He will put his "cah keys in his carkeys after driving to the peninsuler".... Translation: he puts his car keys in his khakis after driving to the peninsula..
Old 03-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

ajdeck, I have friends who live on Pine Island. From what they have told me, Pine Island seems much different from The Villages. Pine Island is more remote with not many social amenities. Most islanders enjoy sailboating.

I've been on Pine Island and fell in love with it, but The Villages is the place for us. I like the variety of activities, restaurant choices, and shopping close by.

If I understand my friends, Pine Island is more for people who like more privacy, enjoy relaxing, and appreciate more quiet and solitude.

My friends say they would not like living in The Villages. The active community is not for them. I disagree but to each our own.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Hi,

We are moving to TV next month - following some friends from home who moved about 18 months ago. Their neighbors - who we have only met a couple of times - stop by our house periodically to check on the construction progress. And yes, Gracie is always that friendly. She and I do disagree on accents. being originally from Western Mass (where we say r's where they should be and don't add them where they don't) I am of the opinion that we are the only folks in the country with no accent. I concede that my cuter half - being from near Cape Code and Maine - has a horrific one. He will put his "cah keys in his carkeys after driving to the peninsuler".... Translation: he puts his car keys in his khakis after driving to the peninsula..
As my Topsfield, MA grandson would say -- wicked sick!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
He will put his "cah keys in his carkeys after driving to the peninsuler".... Translation: he puts his car keys in his khakis after driving to the peninsula..
I resemble that remark!

Gracie - well stated. It's people like you that make me confident that we'll have more friends in TV than we ever had back 'home'.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Default Brightspot01

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01 View Post
ajdeck, I have friends who live on Pine Island. From what they have told me, Pine Island seems much different from The Villages. Pine Island is more remote with not many social amenities. Most islanders enjoy sailboating.

I've been on Pine Island and fell in love with it, but The Villages is the place for us. I like the variety of activities, restaurant choices, and shopping close by.

If I understand my friends, Pine Island is more for people who like more privacy, enjoy relaxing, and appreciate more quiet and solitude.

My friends say they would not like living in The Villages. The active community is not for them. I disagree but to each our own.

Brightspot01

We live in Mobile home park (Pine Island Cove) and it is very friendly. The first nigth when we arrived to our Old New mobile every person on our street came to welcome us.

Once again, I know the Villages is very friendly but for us we already have that and the worry is not to have as good of neighbors as here.

Now with that said, and with having one set of friends that live in Briar Meadow that say neighbors on both sides are a pain but rest of neighbors are great. Any idea of good neighborhoods/streets for courtyard villa's??

aj
Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Default GracieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Dear anxious couple.

Please stop worrying and get yourself here as soon as possible. There are so many things to do that sometimes we just have to scratch a NOTHING day on the calendar to regroup. AND FRIENDLY........

If I choose to read the paper on my front porch, every few minutes walkers are saying " good morning" and people are waving from golf carts. (These are people I haven't met). If I choose to go out my back door to Odell pool and read a book, I never get the book read, because someone with a big friendly smile will strike up a conversation and soon we are having a friendly quarrel about who has the smartest grandchildren. If I choose to go to Barnes and Nobel to buy a book, I find myself in another lively conversation, sometimes started by me, most times started by another.

I have found that there are so many people who play golf and who are also from Ohio, (We were born in Columbus) that I could never enjoy even a portion of them. We didn't graduate from Miami University but our children did.

Since I moved here I found time to learn Mahjong, attend Lifelong Learning College colored pencil portrait class and discover at least four couples from our neighborhood back home who live here. I have found that we Ohioans are the only people with unaccented speech, and that people from Virginia, New York, Boston and New Jersey talk a little funny, but people from Indiana sound just about right.

I have played bingo, bunko, bridge and bocce. I have made four tons of potato salad for pot lucks. I have laughed until my sides ached. I have hugged and touched peoples hands who have touched my heart.

I never, EVER, expected to be this happy.

Friendly? YOU ain't seen friendly yet. Come on down!

P.S. We would be glad to show you around and play golf with you. P.M. when you plan to arrive.

GracieGirl et al.

GracieGirl

Wife and I are coming in couple weeks. Suppose to get a round of golf in the package. Can you suggest which course we should book (anyone else has a suggestion please reply)

ajdeck
Old 03-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Send a message via AIM to rajaha674@aol.com
Default Rajaha674@aol.com

what is there to do at the villages if you do not play golf, tennis or fish. We like to be comfortable at home and not be bothered by going to dances, plays or anything that looks like a old folks place.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

You're probably better off staying where you are then. The lifestyle here is probably too active for you. Be happy wherever you are.............I am
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Dear AJDECK

Arnold Palmer is good but I like Cane Gardens better for a championship course. Pelican will give you a good couple of hours for an executive course.

I am sure you will enjoy each and all of them.

I hope you have a terrific time and find it to be as wonderful as we did.

Stop by and see us when you are here!

GG

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Platinum member

Perhaps Raj would be happier in his comfortable chair, living beneath a nice bridge somewhere.
Suffering from TV envy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.