Who else should I meet with when I come down to look for a home.

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2022, 11:01 PM
Default Who else should I meet with when I come down to look for a home.

I'm coming down from Minnesota the second week of January to look for a winter home. I have a meeting set up with Ira Miller, the real estate guy and with a representative from the villages for new homes, anyone else you would suggest I meet with while I am down here? Tks in advance.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
I'm coming down from Minnesota the second week of January to look for a winter home. I have a meeting set up with Ira Miller, the real estate guy and with a representative from the villages for new homes, anyone else you would suggest I meet with while I am down here? Tks in advance.
The Village rep can show you new and used through the Villages and the realtor can show you everything else. If you want you can meet with a bank or an insurance agent.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:19 AM
Default Who to meet with in the villages

Quote:
We had friends in the Villages who refereed us to an agent.He worked hard for us an got us a home we love, Travis Robinson 352-425-3994
Old 01-02-2022, 12:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Arrow Villages Sales People are Agents, and Not Realtors

Just be aware . . . the Villages' agent will push to show and sell you new construction.

Villages agents are NOT Realtors and cannot show you anything other than what the Villages have for sale.
They cannot cooperate (show properties) listed with MLS brokers (which is what Ira Miller is) because they are not members of the local Assn. of Realtors or the National Assn. of Realtors.
They do not have to abide by the NAR's Code of Ethics.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Just be aware . . . the Villages' agent will push to show and sell you new construction.

Villages agents are NOT Realtors and cannot show you anything other than what the Villages have for sale.
They cannot cooperate (show properties) listed with MLS brokers (which is what Ira Miller is) because they are not members of the local Assn. of Realtors or the National Assn. of Realtors.
They do not have to abide by the NAR's Code of Ethics.
OP has a MLS and a Village agent, so guessing they understand who can sell what. If you want new construction MLS will always be out of the picture.
Question if you found a house with TV, would you not buy it because they are not members of nar?
With so little inventory, who ever has a house to sell in OPs range WINS. No matter what initials are after their name.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:14 AM

Location Location Location. You are looking at 5 different small towns.
The original Historic area, Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter Landing, Brownwood, and the new Villages south of 44.
Take all three trolley tours. You’ll learn a lot.
There are some great buying bargains(that may need updated) and shopping in the first two areas.
If it Is important to you to have lots of golf courses, country clubs, and easy to get to town square, shopping and doctors in your golf car…..then Look at the middle location between 466 and 44.
Are you interested in new construction, care less about golf, and don’t mind driving your car to shopping and appointments? Look south of 44 in the new areas.
As you travel north to south, you’ll notice that the architecture in the town squares goes from elaborate to rural. In the newer areas the driveways may be shorter and the roads narrower.
The Villages was developed by the Schwartz/Morse family. We are on the 3rd generation of developers. There has been a change of philosophy over time…you have to figure out which is the best fit for you.
Be sure and ask about the bond and how that figures into your overall price.
Don’t get pressured into a snap decision. There are lots of home going up for sale in all areas every day. Once you decide your location the perfect place will open up.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Rent for at least 30 days before you buy. Otherwise how do you find location that is best for you.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
Location Location Location. You are looking at 5 different small towns.
The original Historic area, Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter Landing, Brownwood, and the new Villages south of 44.
Take all three trolley tours. You’ll learn a lot.
There are some great buying bargains(that may need updated) and shopping in the first two areas.
If it Is important to you to have lots of golf courses, country clubs, and easy to get to town square, shopping and doctors in your golf car…..then Look at the middle location between 466 and 44.
Are you interested in new construction, care less about golf, and don’t mind driving your car to shopping and appointments? Look south of 44 in the new areas.
As you travel north to south, you’ll notice that the architecture in the town squares goes from elaborate to rural. In the newer areas the driveways may be shorter and the roads narrower.
The Villages was developed by the Schwartz/Morse family. We are on the 3rd generation of developers. There has been a change of philosophy over time…you have to figure out which is the best fit for you.
Be sure and ask about the bond and how that figures into your overall price.
Don’t get pressured into a snap decision. There are lots of home going up for sale in all areas every day. Once you decide your location the perfect place will open up.
Thank you
Old 01-02-2022, 01:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would say do not buy on your first trip. Yes do try and rent for a few weeks to test the community and area. I would try to rent in the summer when it is hottest. I would also take time to visit other communities. I would take the community tour and talk to the employee sales people for each place you visit. You are looking for the life style of the community. Once you know the community you like then worry about the type of home. Location will be very important for the purchase. Go to the swimming pools so you can talk to residences and get their opinion. Look for forums like this one for surrounding communities. City-Data may help a little. Use Google earths street view to look around the areas you can visit or to scout out possible locations.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
In addition the the two sources you mentioned for purchasing a home (Ira Miller and The Villages), you might also look at the wanted ads section of the Daily Sun newspaper and on this TOTV forum. There are usually a few "For Sale by Owner" homes that are listed and these might be of interest as well. They typically would not include the fees the real estate company will charge and you can hire any real estate company to just handle the paperwork if you desire.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:02 PM
Platinum member

If you have any interest in buying a re sale, ask agent if they can sell properties that they are not the listing agent. If they can not look into using an MLS agent.

A lot of differences between newer and older areas of the villages. Old line: Location, Location, Location.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

One other item, if you decide (or are thinking about new) Citizens First Bank has a very good track record of meeting the 30 day closing requirement, if you (or your lender) goes over this there are fines involved.
Old 01-02-2022, 02:43 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Some GREAT advice folks here have given about how VERY different real estate selling and agents are here compared to what you are probably used to. But I would add to that, expand your base of knowledge beyond agents and mortgage brokers, banks, even attorney's... anyone who has some skin in the game. But before talking (and definitely taking notes of WHO tells you what and on what date and time), explore the tax rates of the three counties that comprise The Villages. Do not listen to this or that agent who tells you, "oh, there's no difference in the utility rates among of the counties".. of course there is ! Each is served by different utility companies, some are for profit, others are cooperatives. Check the school tax rates of each, take a look at the HISTORY of county tax increases and how often they happen. Of course, many are not at all concerned about these things, and probably many on here will tell you to forget all that, just buy the place of your dreams. It all depends on what is important to you, if there is no question that increased expenses through out retirement are of no concern, than, that would be true, find your dream house and location and enjoy ! BUT.... regardless, buy a small notebook, KEEP it WITH YOU no matter who you talk to, and make notes ! You will be very happy you did that ......
Old 01-02-2022, 05:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
One other item, if you decide (or are thinking about new) Citizens First Bank has a very good track record of meeting the 30 day closing requirement, if you (or your lender) goes over this there are fines involved.
I think the 30 day close is only for The Villages homes and only for home not previously owned - all other owners can negotiate the close date.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:22 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

I highly recommend Katy Kelly with RE/MAX Premier Realty.
352-355-7982
katypkelly@gmail.com
https://katykellyhomes.com

Tags
home, meet, villages, representative, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.