Who else should I meet with when I come down to look for a home.

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2022, 09:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation An MLS Realtor vs. a Villages Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
OP has a MLS and a Village agent, so guessing they understand who can sell what. If you want new construction MLS will always be out of the picture.
Question if you found a house with TV, would you not buy it because they are not members of nar?
With so little inventory, who ever has a house to sell in OPs range WINS. No matter what initials are after their name.
No, a buyer may not know who can sell what. Many potential buyers have simply read that they should have a Villages agent and an MLS Realtor and may not know or understand why they need one of each.

I grant you that if someone wants a brand new Villages house only a Villages agent can help them. Please don't misquote me. I never said that if I found a Villages property that I would not purchase it because the agent was not a Realtor and member of the NAR.

What initials are you speaking about? A Realtor does not have the initials NAR after their name. A sample of a few initials that a Realtor could have after their name could be GRI, CRS, CCIM, CRB, ABR, and many others. All of these types of initials have clout because of a Realtor furthering their real estate education, and these are real estate classes and designations that a Villages agent can never have.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:05 AM
Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
I'm coming down from Minnesota the second week of January to look for a winter home. I have a meeting set up with Ira Miller, the real estate guy and with a representative from the villages for new homes, anyone else you would suggest I meet with while I am down here? Tks in advance.
We used a VLS and a MLS, but we were purchasing a pre-owned home. New homes can only be sold with VLS. Some VLS are sales agents, not realtors. Be prepared to move fast. We were in Florida and purchased by video because the whole thing is super fast. Literally no time to think. We also viewed our home before it was on the market. Your VLS persons experience is key and how motivated that person is to get you in a home. Do not be afraid to ask for a new person. We went through 3 and the difference between them was very wide. One would get mad and scream at me bc she was having personal problems, she would apologize, I was sympathetic, but it was annoying! Third time was a really good fit. We put in 11 offers before we finally closed on Dec 20. 2 agents discouraged us from using my husbands va loan guarantee benefit bc they said could not close in 30 days. In this crazy market sellers are looking and expect a 30 day close with all offers we put in. I made sure my lender could get va close done on time and she did get it done! Good luck!

Last edited by YvonneandScott; 01-03-2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:52 AM
Default Use all available resources

Quote:
I'm coming down from Minnesota the second week of January to look for a winter home. I have a meeting set up with Ira Miller, the real estate guy and with a representative from the villages for new homes, anyone else you would suggest I meet with while I am down here? Tks in advance.
Hey there, I relocated from Minnesota in October. Nell 57 gave really good advice. I started out with a Villages sales rep. I believe only they can show you homes that are listed on Villages Listing Service (including all new homes), and they did push the new homes over previously owned. I wanted a home without a Bond payment and I ended up buying through a local realtor and was very happy with the process. You can purchase previously owned homes through the Villages reps, but you'll only see the ones whose owners listed on VLS. I found the VLS selection a bit limited at the time I was looking, so I moved on to searching MLS on my own. I found my home using Movoto. I liked that site's interface including really helpful selection filters. That said, there are many good real estate sites. I also talked to a lot of really helpful people during my search, both Villages employees and non. I found it really helpful to hear different perspectives. Good luck with your search and SKOL Vikings.

Last edited by OronocoCharlie; 01-03-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:56 AM
Default Home purchase considerations

Quote:
Buying a new home has a couple of advantages - the interiors are more "open", in design, and the neighborhoods are new. It is easier to meet new people in a new neighborhood than it is to "break into" an older, existing neighborhood where the groups (golf foursomes, for instance) have been around for years.

Going new eliminates the need for a Realtor (a trademarked NAR name). The Villages requires their sales agents to have real estate licenses but are not members of the NAR. Experienced sales agents know how to work within the system to get you "first in line" for new home releases - there are no "bidding wars" for new homes.

You can simplify the search process if you prioritize features into "drop dead gotta haves" and "would be nice ifs". There will be some unique purchase opportunities but there will always be more homes - roughly 30,000 more, based on the current land holdings of the Morse family.

Good luck! We love it here, been here two years and cherish every new day in paradise...
Old 01-03-2022, 07:03 AM

So I was a realtor in Pa and a Villages real estate agent for 10 years. Villages reps are licensed by the state. You need a Properties of The Villages rep to see new and pre owned listed by The Villages. You’ll need an outside realtor to see all other pre owned homes. Properties of The Villages has 60-70% of the pre owned market and 100% of new. Don’t listen to people who say Villages reps only want to sell new or have no code of ethics like realtors. IT IS NOT TRUE. The commission scale for new or pre owned is exactly the same so there is no monetary advantage either way. Just be sure you have one of each to see all the inventory.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

There is always the option of not committing to either a Village agent or realtor. If you put a bid in on a house, the agent will not have to split the commission which may work heavily in your favor. It did in my case. You can learn quite alot from the agents showing the houses. TOTV is also a great resource.

There are some very low price rentals during the off season if you did want to follow the advice of others to reside here before purchasing.

And FWIW, after the rule changes a few years ago, the VA loans are usually processed just as fast as conventional loans. However, they are not accepted on new construction.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:20 AM

We're from Detroit Lakes and moved here in 2018. We like it up north across from Mulberry..very quiet..
Old 01-03-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Bryan Arango should be seen.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:43 AM
Default The villages sales reps are not going to represent YOU.

Quote:
Any financial or personal info you provide to the sales representative can be and will shared with the seller.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Some GREAT advice folks here have given about how VERY different real estate selling and agents are here compared to what you are probably used to. But I would add to that, expand your base of knowledge beyond agents and mortgage brokers, banks, even attorney's... anyone who has some skin in the game. But before talking (and definitely taking notes of WHO tells you what and on what date and time), explore the tax rates of the three counties that comprise The Villages. Do not listen to this or that agent who tells you, "oh, there's no difference in the utility rates among of the counties".. of course there is ! Each is served by different utility companies, some are for profit, others are cooperatives. Check the school tax rates of each, take a look at the HISTORY of county tax increases and how often they happen. Of course, many are not at all concerned about these things, and probably many on here will tell you to forget all that, just buy the place of your dreams. It all depends on what is important to you, if there is no question that increased expenses through out retirement are of no concern, than, that would be true, find your dream house and location and enjoy ! BUT.... regardless, buy a small notebook, KEEP it WITH YOU no matter who you talk to, and make notes ! You will be very happy you did that ......
Yes, welcome!

And additionally ask about flood insurance, as some neighborhoods are on filled in swamp land, waste water facilities & landscaping dumps nearby that smell when the wind blows your way, and proximity to the federal prison if that is a concern for you. In other words, do your due diligence.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:06 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default Villages real estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Just be aware . . . the Villages' agent will push to show and sell you new construction.

Villages agents are NOT Realtors and cannot show you anything other than what the Villages have for sale.
They cannot cooperate (show properties) listed with MLS brokers (which is what Ira Miller is) because they are not members of the local Assn. of Realtors or the National Assn. of Realtors.
They do not have to abide by the NAR's Code of Ethics.
NOR can MLS realtors show or sell properties that are offered by The Villages Homes. If you want to see both MLS AND Villages listings, you need both. I don't understand why some seem angry that The Villages properties is separate and different. Oh, well.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
One other item, if you decide (or are thinking about new) Citizens First Bank has a very good track record of meeting the 30 day closing requirement, if you (or your lender) goes over this there are fines involved.
I second that thought. First house we bought with an independent agent, outside mortgage company, and title company in Leesburg. Total disaster. Second house was through a Villages agent, and Citizens First Bank. Super smooth and easy.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:00 AM

Erica.Chambers@TheVillages.com
Very pleasant to work with and she was always available to show at our request. Erica was very personable.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:05 AM
Default House hunting

Be sure and ask about the bond. Is it paid or is there a balance. And what is the bond cost. Could make or break the sale.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:07 AM

I think you’ve covered your bases well. Ira is a real professional but can only show preowned. The Villages representative can show you new and preowned.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, meet, villages, representative, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.