Who else should I meet with when I come down to look for a home.

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2022, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
I'm coming down from Minnesota the second week of January to look for a winter home. I have a meeting set up with Ira Miller, the real estate guy and with a representative from the villages for new homes, anyone else you would suggest I meet with while I am down here? Tks in advance.
If this is the first time you are coming to TV I also recommend you just spend the time to look around. You need at least a month to get yourself remotely familiar. I'm from northern Minnesota and discovered many things the second time I did not know the first time. Also...don't be afraid to not buy this go around. You have a home in Minnesota, and unlike those who sold their homes and either buy or are homeless, time is on your side.
Also...their are a lot of Packer bars down here...so life is good!!!!
Old 01-03-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
I'm coming down from Minnesota the second week of January to look for a winter home. I have a meeting set up with Ira Miller, the real estate guy and with a representative from the villages for new homes, anyone else you would suggest I meet with while I am down here? Tks in advance.

I’d meet with a MLS real estate agent. We used Robyn Cavallaro, she did a great job for us. You can reach her at 352-901-0838. She will work hard for you.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:24 AM

We didn't rent and are on our 7th year as snowbirds. Renting isn't necessary for everyone!
Old 01-03-2022, 10:57 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Don't enter the forest (The villages) if you fear leaves (A lot of smoke and mirrors) look on this tread for opinions of living there negative and positive
Old 01-03-2022, 11:08 AM

Our list when we came down to see the villages was as follows:
All 3 town squares (and Ednas/Sawgrass) both during the day and in the evening.
A few village recreation centers
A few regional recreation centers (open the doors and peek into the classes going on if the signage on the doors allows)
A few golf courses of differing types
A few country clubs (lunch or dinner)
Where the prison, cement plant and quarry were in relation to where we were looking
Listening for the turnpike in the areas we were looking at various times during the day and night
Checking out amenities that were important to us (running/biking trails, gym, dog parks, theaters, etc.)
Sitting at the neighborhood pool and chatting it up with the locals in the neighborhoods we were were considering
How far squares/stores were by golf cart in the areas we were looking and what impact future bridge will have on that distance

In addition to seeing homes, we went to the following places:
A few golf cart stores to get pricing/check out models
A few local insurance brokers (our insurance won’t write new Florida policies so ask yours now)
A representative from our bank at their local branch
Stopped into the villages health to check it out/inquire about doctors accepting new patients
The local grocery store, proximity of our preferred pharmacy, etc.

Most Villages reps will show you the latest neighborhood property releases (new construction) first. Stop them from doing so, and ask to see the model homes first - Review the floor plans online now so you have a better idea of what series/models you might be interested in. There are two or three different areas where you can see model homes, and each has a few different series/models available to see. The only way to get into these model homes is on appointment with a Villages Sales agent. This will help you to narrow down exactly what it is you think you want (home series and model), then you can go see what is actually available. Then, most importantly, don’t get discouraged when you don’t find what you want in what is actually available for sale!!! Just open your eyes and see all of the potential future inventory being built. Houses are released almost every day. Patience is the name of the game when buying new in the villages today. On the flip side, if you decide that you would rather be in an established area and want to buy a resale, you must be ready to act immediately. Houses go within hours of being listed and having a good MLS agent is key. In this case, you need all of your documents immediately ready to go (Mortgage pre-approval letter and/or proof of funds, and your local attorney’s contact information if you will be using one)

The most important aspect of your visit is just driving around and looking at everything going on around you. Get lost in the golf cart, hop in the car and head all the way north on Morse to the historic section, and then south by another route. Try to see as much as your energy will allow each day, and talk to everyone you come in contact with. Carry a small notebook (or use the notes feature on your phone) to jot things down or questions to ask because a ton of information is going to come at you. Get the newspaper every morning and look at the real estate listings and open houses for the day. There is much more available then any agent can possibly show you, so you need to direct the visit the way you want it to go as much as you can. Have fun and good luck!
Old 01-03-2022, 11:38 AM
Default Outside realtors, Ira Miller (see below)

Outside Realtors Cannot show ANY Village listings - New OR Previously Owned.
Best to see both realtors and check FSBO to find all the available homes for sale in the Villages.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:16 PM

a good undertaker...?
Old 01-03-2022, 01:27 PM

If you are buying a new house, please be aware that you will need to put 10% of the buying cost to hold that house. Also be ready to close on that house within 30 days. If you delay the closing beyond 30 days you will be penalized. Ours would have been $750 a day.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,273 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymac1127 View Post
If you are buying a new house, please be aware that you will need to put 10% of the buying cost to hold that house. Also be ready to close on that house within 30 days. If you delay the closing beyond 30 days you will be penalized. Ours would have been $750 a day.
This is incorrect. The hold fee is nowhere NEAR 10%. IIRC, it's $10K.

And our (re-sale) closed in 6 weeks, just last February. New homes will probably close in 5-6 months, or more if it takes longer to set up a design appointment...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-03-2022, 04:08 PM

Great post. Excellent information and advice.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:35 PM

a priest
Old 01-03-2022, 06:40 PM

Ira Miller plus one Villages agent (for the Villages new homes and Villages (only) resales, are the only agents you need. Don't go with everyone else's agent recommendations as that is a total waste of your time.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
This is incorrect. The hold fee is nowhere NEAR 10%. IIRC, it's $10K.

And our (re-sale) closed in 6 weeks, just last February. New homes will probably close in 5-6 months, or more if it takes longer to set up a design appointment...
Sorry to tell you but i just went through buying a new house from a Village Realtor. We had to put 10% down and close within 30 days or would be penalized. I have the paperwork to prove it.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:34 AM

Thank you, great advice.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
If this is the first time you are coming to TV I also recommend you just spend the time to look around. You need at least a month to get yourself remotely familiar. I'm from northern Minnesota and discovered many things the second time I did not know the first time. Also...don't be afraid to not buy this go around. You have a home in Minnesota, and unlike those who sold their homes and either buy or are homeless, time is on your side.
Also...their are a lot of Packer bars down here...so life is good!!!!
I worked in Green Bay for several years and kind of became a Packer fan. Love them or hate them at least they usually get into the playoffs and give you a lot more opportunities to cheer than the Vikings ever do.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, meet, villages, representative, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.