Who to help find existing homes?

Who to help find existing homes?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Just be sure your Villages rep is willing to show you existing homes. Mine, who was highly referred, essentially refused to do so after I repeatedly asked. He only showed me a few new spec homes and told me to drive myself around and call him if I found an existing one. In other words he wanted me to do the work and himself collect the sales commission.
Essentially our experience also. Villages agent said "You don't want to look at preowned homes. They are asking more for those than new homes."

Old 08-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Essentially our experience also. Villages agent said "You don't want to look at preowned homes. They are asking more for those than new homes."
As I understand it Villages agents are “encouraged” by the developer to move the new product. They are paid higher commissions as an incentive and/or otherwise compensated. For example trips on a company jet, meals at the developers private club and no doubt otherwise. Selling existing units is a lucrative adjunct business that satisfies a need and brings in more dough but building and selling new homes is the primary objective.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Just be sure your Villages rep is willing to show you existing homes. Mine, who was highly referred, essentially refused to do so after I repeatedly asked. He only showed me a few new spec homes and told me to drive myself around and call him if I found an existing one. In other words he wanted me to do the work and himself collect the sales commission.

Someone like that discredits all other real estate professionals and shouldn't be working as an agent.

I would have reported him to his broker. That kind of behavior is unacceptable.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post

That's interesting -- actually very funny because it's precisely a Villages agent who has priced the homes that are resales!
Old 08-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

If you find a home that is listed on the Multiple Listing Service, you will need to use a Realtor who has access to the MLS. I highly recommend Katy Kelly, from ReMAx Premier Realty. She can be reached at 352-355-7982 or katypkelly@gmail.com
Old 08-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Someone like that discredits all other real estate professionals and shouldn't be working as an agent.

I would have reported him to his broker. That kind of behavior is unacceptable.
He is no doubt looked on with great favor by his broker as he sells so many new homes which benefits the business far more than resales do. From what he disclosed to me about his “awards” he is the Villages equivalent of a “top producer” in Realtor-speak.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Sage

OP, you state your window is 3 years off, so IMHO, you may be jumping the gun, unless you plan on buying and renting the house out. With all of the recently announced building plans (over 60,000 homes south of 44), The Villages will be somewhat different in 3 years. Your plan to come down for a lifestyle visit is excellent, as you will get a sense of the area, etc. You can keep an eye on houses for sale as mentioned above, and make up your mind on a location and house when you are getting ready to actually move. I have seen tremendous changes in just the 6 years that we have lived here. When we bought, we were at the southern end of TV, we are now in the center!!
Old 08-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage

Location: Smithville (Kansas City) Mo./ Megan Villas, Sanibel TV

If you don't know what style of home or what village/area you wish to eventually live in, I would suggest you go to open houses while on your LSP. You will get a copy of the Daily Sun each day and there are two pages of Villages pre-owned open houses and numerous MLS open houses daily. There are also three pages of Villages new open houses daily so you can see all manner of home styles in all the areas, giving you a good idea of the market - now! The market is likely to be dramatically different in three years. We had our LSP in 2010 and did what I suggest, then rented for eight years, always looking at open houses, and bought in 2018. By then we knew exactly what we wanted and how much to pay.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
As I understand it Villages agents are “encouraged” by the developer to move the new product. They are paid higher commissions as an incentive and/or otherwise compensated. For example trips on a company jet, meals at the developers private club and no doubt otherwise. Selling existing units is a lucrative adjunct business that satisfies a need and brings in more dough but building and selling new homes is the primary objective.
In the realtor business I imagine there are sales contests and incentives.

The Villages doesn't have to "drum up business" to sell homes or reward people to get sales. People are standing in line to buy homes here, new and used. If a home is used and not selling it is because it is priced too high, dirty, smelly, or needs staged I would think.

People are easily selling used homes by themselves and using a closing service to close if those who are selling them aren't trying to hit a home run.

I see that Manabouttown's former occupation was intellectual property attorney. I apologize for confusing his prior job with real estate.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-19-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:10 PM
TOTV Moderator

OP asked for help in being able to find pre-owned homes for sale.

This is not an argument about Villages realtors.

Please stay on topic.

Tags
homes, existing, year, estate, timeline