Why do so many people coat their garages?

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2022, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

[QUOTE=kitnhead;2139673]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
I've never seen a coated garage flour in Mass. I assume there is a reason to do this in Fla rather than just appearance? Thanks[/QUOTE

There was a coated floor at our rental home when we first moved to TV. It rained and the water from the car pooled in the garage. We both slipped and nearly fell on our behinds. We are younger (in Villages terms) so thankfully this was not serious, but I believe it would have been very injurious to an older individual. Once we experienced that, we decided it was a truly unnecessary expense.
First home I lived in, here had a floor that was sealed. When a puddle of water got on it, I fell and nearly broke something. The second home I purchased had a large grease and oil spot on it that I couldn't clean up so I had someone come in and clean and paint it. They painted it with epoxy and then laid down some paint chips and then urethane coated it. Looks great, cleans up easily and the paint chips are prominent enough to give me traction even when wet. Never fall or slip on it. I get compliments all the time.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,032 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
I've never seen a coated garage flour in Mass. I assume there is a reason to do this in Fla rather than just appearance? Thanks
Simple answer to a reasonable question.

The wear and tear on a garage floor in MA, is significantly different than in Florida. The mud, oils, salt, etc from MA roads, will eat away at most any type of "coated garage floor".

If you go back to MA and want to do something with your garage floor, use a process called "Retroplate", which is essentially a "polishing" process. Unfortunately, it can get a little slippery when wet. The other choice, is "dyed concrete", but that obviously only works when building a new garage.

I build automobile dealerships in MA and I can tell you, I'd never put an expoxy or any other applied finish to a Service Department floor. If you notice, some of the M-B, BMW, Lexus dealerships are now using a "tile" floor in service departments .... maintenance nightmare.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:19 AM
Gold member
Default Spoiled Garages

Up North, where it gets very very cold, you almost never see a garage with a coat. Down here where it rarely gets below 30 they are more common. Go figure. People just do not want to see their garage shiver.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I’ve owned and sold many homes in Florida and never once has someone said ,oh you have a beautiful home but you haven’t painted the garage floor or driveway , so we won’t be interested. A garage is a place to park my car and leave the trash and where I spend about 5 minute a day in , there’s no wall of tools , ladders or even a golf cart in the golf cart garage part , sometimes a garage is just a garage
Old 11-28-2022, 10:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I never had a garage in Massachusetts so in Florida it was out first garage and we had it painted along with the lanai, our entire outside patio going the length of one side and across the back and our front entry way. Mostly we did it for looks and cleanup. We have not done the driveway and front walkways yet but we plan to to keep them clean.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Why does it matter to anyone what someone else does, as long as it has no effect on them? I like my finished floor. Did I have the garage floor painted up North? Nope, but I may have painted it eventually. I like my garage floor here. It looks great and that's all that matters to me. Whether or not someone else likes it, means nothing to me. I painted my patio in back of my home, too.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Because it looks GREAT! I like my things to look nice.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

a driveway is just a driveway, and a garage is just a garage. Why spend good money to make them look nicer?

And a car is just a means of transportation, used to get from point A to point B. Why do people spend good money for Mercedes, a Cadillac, a BMW, a Lexus, or even a new Toyota, when a 10 year old KIA would do the same job?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
a driveway is just a driveway, and a garage is just a garage. Why spend good money to make them look nicer?

And a car is just a means of transportation, used to get from point A to point B. Why do people spend good money for Mercedes, a Cadillac, a BMW, a Lexus, or even a new Toyota, when a 10 year old KIA would do the same job?
The Villages Florida

Because they want to?

-Tom Petty
Old 12-09-2022, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post

Because I like nice things. Some people don't. And a car is not just a car.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
The Villages Florida

Just in case your meter is broken...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-09-2022, 01:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Pretty soon, people will be planting pretty plants, just because they look nice.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The Villages Florida

Just in case your meter is broken...
There are days I wonder the same. Could be I just have a loose screw?
Old 12-10-2022, 08:20 AM
Default Why epoxy garage

We did ours and we love it. Your garage here is on the same level (no steps) to your house. You just walk right in. The epoxy is easy to clean or mop, so I can walk out there barefoot and get what I need any time (we store lots of things in garage). Also clean keeps the bugs out. So it isn’t because we have lots of money laying around, we want to keep up with our neighbors, or any of those ridiculous reasons lol. For us it is functional. Ours is not slippery at all.
Closed Thread

Tags
appearance, fla, reason, assume, mass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.