Wood burning stoves

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Wood burning stoves

Just a question. Does anyone know if wood burning stoves or wood burning fireplaces are allowed in TV??
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Sage

The ony part I can see as a problem is the wood part.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Gold member

I can't think of any reason why they would not be allowed.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Gold member

I think the only issue from the homeowner association would be where the wood would be stacked. The installation would have to be inspected by a fire mashall and your insurance would probably rise a little because of it. TV might have a rule against them because of the close proximity of the homes.

I heated a house with a woodburning stove back in the 80"s and early 90's when I lived up north. I did not enjoy that at all. Lot of work and dirty. I much prefer a fireplace with gas logs. I just can't imagine that there is a return on investment in Florida for a woodburning stove.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran member
Default Termites

Yeah, termites are real common in Florida and chances are that termites would infest your woodpile. Also, there are lots of other little critters that would burrow into the woodpile such as SNAKES!!! and spiders - and let's not forget SNAKES!!!

Really, there is no need for a wood burning stove in The Villages. There are some cold mornings but turn your heat on for a couple of hours or even get an electric space heater (watching out for fire, of course) to put on for a couple of hours.

With an electric space heater, there is no chance of SNAKES!!! or termites.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Thanks

Actually I was asking because a neighbor has one and it stinks like----. I to have used them up North but wasn't sure if they were allowed here especially as close as the houses are.. The answers I got today from TV we're of course why wouldn't they be. So I guess I'll buy some clothes pins. Thanks for your answers though!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Actually I was asking because a neighbor has one and it stinks like----. I to have used them up North but wasn't sure if they were allowed here especially as close as the houses are.. The answers I got today from TV we're of course why wouldn't they be. So I guess I'll buy some clothes pins. Thanks for your answers though!
Why not call deed compliance?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Already done

They're the one's who gave me that answer.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Yeah, termites are real common in Florida and chances are that termites would infest your woodpile. Also, there are lots of other little critters that would burrow into the woodpile such as SNAKES!!! and spiders - and let's not forget SNAKES!!!

Really, there is no need for a wood burning stove in The Villages. There are some cold mornings but turn your heat on for a couple of hours or even get an electric space heater (watching out for fire, of course) to put on for a couple of hours.

With an electric space heater, there is no chance of SNAKES!!! or termites.
I hate snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Default wood smoke

I can't stand wood smoke or inconsiderate neighbors , so thanks for the warning,I will definitley not be looking for my dream home in Bonita.If there is not an ordinance against wood stoves there ought to be, I can't imagine what it would be like if everybody had a wood stove smoking up the bubble (teramites, fires and insurance to name a few)

Last edited by handyman; 12-07-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

So now if you have a fireplace, you are an inconsiderate neighbor! I officially resign my senior status.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
So now if you have a fireplace, you are an inconsiderate neighbor! I officially resign my senior status.
I love the smell of wood burning and it honestly never occurred to me that others would find it offensive. In southern Cal I lived on the beach and it was always cool as soon as the sun set, so I was the idiot with smoke coming out of my chimney in August. Now I opt for gas, but only because hauling in firewood is a huge pain and keeping a wood fire burning properly is work and I avoid that whenever possible
Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
I love the smell of wood burning and it honestly never occurred to me that others would find it offensive. In southern Cal I lived on the beach and it was always cool as soon as the sun set, so I was the idiot with smoke coming out of my chimney in August. Now I opt for gas, but only because hauling in firewood is a huge pain and keeping a wood fire burning properly is work and I avoid that whenever possible
I agree CaliGirl... I lived near the ocean in LA and there would be some people using their fireplaces in the summer and I always enjoyed the smell of wood burning, never occurred to me that someone would find it offensive. Yesterday while horseback riding in Lake Weir, I smelled a lot of burning wood and thought it was absolutely delightful especially on a cold and windy day.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Yes, those of us with lung issues, really have an issue with them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.