Would you recommend The Villages for me?

Would you recommend The Villages for me?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Suggest a villa or designer with a fenced in back yard. Dogs can be outside without a leash. That will solve half hour problems.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quills View Post
We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the street so someone had to look over a fence line. Stickers on mailboxes, gnomes on yards, 2 many dogs, etc.
I have a military and police background so I respect rules and laws. However, it seems to me, you must conform to The Villages or you will be hounded by anonymous neighbors, it sounds scary.
Are things exaggerated on the forums and news commentaries? I would love to hear opinions/remarks about your experiences.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia
You own "several" dogs?
You should do a search of previous threads on this forum about the acceptable number of pets in each household in The Villages.
You might be limited to having 2 pets per household.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 PM

If you are in a Patio Villa or Courtyard Villa, the cigar smell may gravitate towards your neighbors yards. I personally hate the smell of cigars and it would bother me to smell it if I were sitting on a lanai but I understand that is what you like to do. Polishing cars and listening to music would be difficult in Patio or Courtyard Villa. The driveways are very small and the homes are joined together with a common fence. Unless you can find a corner lot, that may work. You can work with a realtor and let them know what you like to do and hopefully they can steer you towards some homes that may fit your lifestyle. Good Luck and thank you for your service!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage

I think you are experiencing the...".What is being hidden from me" syndrome which is akin to buyer remorse, but happens before the purchase. I remember thinking, WHAT AM I MISSING? This place cannot be as it appears. What's the hitch? Where's the scam?

Eleven years later, I am still thinking how lucky we were to find this place.

Hope your healthy skepticism is allayed.

(There is a house on our street for sale. I think it is far enough down, we wouldn't get any of your cigar smoke.)
Old 02-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quills View Post
We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the street so someone had to look over a fence line. Stickers on mailboxes, gnomes on yards, 2 many dogs, etc.
I have a military and police background so I respect rules and laws. However, it seems to me, you must conform to The Villages or you will be hounded by anonymous neighbors, it sounds scary.
Are things exaggerated on the forums and news commentaries? I would love to hear opinions/remarks about your experiences.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia
Come on down. You will love the donut shops.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Veteran member

Some of the deed restrictions say you can only have one dog. Some say you can have up to two dogs. You would not be allowed to have "several" dogs.
Not true
Old 02-10-2019, 05:49 PM
Gold member

Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Some of the deed restrictions say you can only have one dog. Some say you can have up to two dogs. You would not be allowed to have "several" dogs.
We moved here with 3 dogs. We were told extra animals were allowed, but when you lost them they could not be replaced if you still had animals. We lost one the year after we moved here and had the max of 2.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We moved here with 3 dogs. We were told extra animals were allowed, but when you lost them they could not be replaced if you still had animals. We lost one the year after we moved here and had the max of 2.
What you were told, and what's in writing, are different things. You might have been given permission - an exception. But the rule is - no more than 1 dog (in certain areas of the Villages) and no more than 2 dogs (in certain other parts of the Villages). There's even one deed restriction I saw that specified dogs, and didn't include the option for a bird, cat, or fish. And there was another one that did include those other animals, but only restricted the number of dogs you could have - not how many of the other pets you could have.

As I've said before. These rules are old, and should probably be re-negotiated by the homeowners associations or by specific villages covered by the different restrictions.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Gold member

I know many people who moved here with multiple pets and were told the same thing. I have lived here for 6 1/2 years and people are still told to bring their pets but as they lose them they need to have a max of 2.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Again - what they are TOLD and what is in WRITING are two different things. If you don't get an exception, and one of your three dogs starts acting out, barking at all hours, jumping the wall (for instance if you put a table up against the wall and they climb the table and hop over into the neighbor's yard) - etc. etc. And the neighbor complains, and the Community folks see that you have three dogs - they would be within their rights to tell you to get rid of that dog and not replace it because you're already over the limit.

All's fair til someone complains.

Tags
villages, news, forums, things, dogs