Would you recommend The Villages for me?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Yes by all means move to TV. Your personal experience to date is more accurate than the minority negative play here on TOTV.

Keep in mind there are 90,000 members on TOTV (I saw that number some place).

How many active participants on TOTV? Somewhere between 100-200 (maybe). For that percentage you need to go to the third decimal point to get a number!!!!!!!!

Then let's be generous and allow that 2-4% are negative....across 90,000!?!?!?!?!

As can quickly be determined the negative representation here is barely measurable when weighed against the totality of either TOTV or TV total population.

C'mon down and join the rest of us in the 98% who enjoy every single waking moment here.....of course mine are limited only to the last 16 year here......
Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Are you serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Again - what they are TOLD and what is in WRITING are two different things. If you don't get an exception, and one of your three dogs starts acting out, barking at all hours, jumping the wall (for instance if you put a table up against the wall and they climb the table and hop over into the neighbor's yard) - etc. etc. And the neighbor complains, and the Community folks see that you have three dogs - they would be within their rights to tell you to get rid of that dog and not replace it because you're already over the limit.

All's fair til someone complains.
Dogs jumping walls? No owner with any sense would live with a dog that barked constantly. Community watch waved to me when I walked the 3 dogs. They do not do any deed non-compliance reporting and they absolutely could not tell me to dispose of a pet. That is not their job.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Headline from the other newspaper just hit "Villages District Office issues notice to pet owners in The Villages". If you want to do the anonymous complaint this would appear to be a good time to test the system. Wonder how many have their grandfather clauses in writing !
Old 02-10-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Some of the deed restrictions say you can only have one dog. Some say you can have up to two dogs. You would not be allowed to have "several" dogs.
You may have the dogs you own when you move in. When they cross the rainbow bridge and you are left with two, you can have two.

In response to another misconception. The Villages Watch...…..they watch. They don't report anything unless it is a danger or a crime or an accident. If they see your garage door up in the middle of the night they will call you. If they see an accident or a break in they will call law enforcement. They drive up and down the streets checking to see that all is good and will call the right person if a street light is out or a dog is loose. They do not report deed restrictions.. They are helpful ladies and gentlemen. I see them on some sleepless nights as they drive up my street.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Moving

[QUOTE=Quills;1623629]We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the

RESPONSE:

Have been here 3 years, want to move soon. You cannot judge a book by its cover?

Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Brawnwy123;1623842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quills View Post
We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the

RESPONSE:

Have been here 3 years, want to move soon. You cannot judge a book by its cover?

It is good that you will have no trouble selling your house at a profit. Please come back on after you move and tell us about your new area.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,350 Times in 2,506 Posts

My wife and I have stayed at about six over 55 communties in Florida, from the expensive to the reasonable, and The Villages had more to offer than any of the others.
It isn't perfect, nowhere is, but has a whole lot more plusses than the others we tried.
Also when you talk about restrictions and moaners, try one of the really up market places. They even tell you how many breaths you can have a day!
Go for for it.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
If you truly enjoyed living on 6.5 wooded acres with very few neighbors then I'd bet The Villages is not for you. If you want a property here that offers some semblance of privacy from your neighbors, be prepared to spend above $650,000, or more preferably, above $1,000,000 for your new home. Perhaps this is not a problem for you.

Otherwise the rest of the homes here are packed together like sardines with very little privacy. TOTV Realtors say Villagers move 2-1/2 to 3 times within the Villages while they live here. After almost 5 years here, I'm guessing 50% of those moves are for a larger or smaller homes and 50% are because of privacy issues or neighbor problems. No matter where you live here, my guess is your stated preference on driveway activities will be acceptable to some of your neighbors but will be detested by most of them.

You don't mention whether you and you wife like to golf. If you do, and you don't mind playing mostly 9 hole executive courses, then I can recommend this place as Heaven on Earth. If you don't like to golf, then I see no reason to live in The Villages. There are several 55+ communities nearby where you can get better lots and more house for the same money. Also, I'd suggest you get a good local Realtor because I've seen a lot of reasonably priced and really nice homes on 1-1/2 to 2 acres in semi-wooded settings in nearby locations.

Good luck to you with your move to Florida.
So with your logic only golfers move to The Villages? Hhhmmmm

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
So with your logic only golfers move to The Villages? Hhhmmmm

When I was looking at all the retirement communities in this area of central Florida, it became clear to me that the only reason for me to spend more money for less house in order to live in The Villages was the abundance easily accessible and very nice executive golf courses that you can play as often as you want for very little money on an annual basis.
If I wasn't a golfer who is willing to play mostly 9 hole executive courses, I'd be living in Stonecrest right now in a larger, nicer home, on a bigger lot, with an original purchase price that was a lot less than I paid in The Villages.
I could still come to the Village Squares, I could still go to concerts at Savannah and Sharon Morse Centers. I could still park at a Rec Center and then ride my bike or go jogging. As a Stonecrest resident I could enjoy all The Villages had to offer except the Rec Center activities, the swimming pools, and the golf courses. Also I couldn't drive my golf cart in to, around, and out of The Villages. (But why anyone our age actually enjoys riding around in a golf cart mystifies me).
Based on the lifestyle the OP described, if he and she don't golf, I think they'd do well to check out the other retirement communities in the area.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
When I was looking at all the retirement communities in this area of central Florida, it became clear to me that the only reason for me to spend more money for less house in order to live in The Villages was the abundance easily accessible and very nice executive golf courses that you can play as often as you want for very little money on an annual basis.

If I wasn't a golfer who is willing to play mostly 9 hole executive courses, I'd be living in Stonecrest right now in a larger, nicer home, on a bigger lot, with an original purchase price that was a lot less than I paid in The Villages.

I could still come to the Village Squares, I could still go to concerts at Savannah and Sharon Morse Centers. I could still park at a Rec Center and then ride my bike or go jogging. As a Stonecrest resident I could enjoy all The Villages had to offer except the Rec Center activities, the swimming pools, and the golf courses. Also I couldn't drive my golf cart in to, around, and out of The Villages. (But why anyone our age actually enjoys riding around in a golf cart mystifies me).

Based on the lifestyle the OP described, if he and she don't golf, I think they'd do well to check out the other retirement communities in the area.
Well you couldn't join The Villages band or theatre, play cribbage or samba or bridge or mah jong or Zumba, play water volleyball or beach volleyball, or do over the 2000 other things in The Villages besides golf without your Villages ID. I think TV has MUCH MUCH more to offer than golf and sometimes this gets overlooked ( not really). There is even a Big Green Egg club here!
When people say "you are buying the lifestyle" they ain't jokin!

P.S. I am probably not your age..

Old 02-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

You don't even have to live the "lifestyle" here to be happy. Just take life the way you want. There is loads more to Florida than just here.
Steve
Old 02-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

For me, I have zero interest in golf. I can't stand Florida. It is the "lifestyle" that gives me hope of being happy in the Villages. And they have that lifestyle in abundance. Sure I could live in a bigger house on bigger property in Stonecrest. But I'd be stuck maintaining that property, and keeping that house clean, and if I wanted to go anywhere I'd have to leave the community to do so. Plus hubby would get to play at exactly one golf course for the rest of his life, because we wouldn't be able to afford to pay for him to go to any others.

For $158 per month (the new amenity fee) we get ALL the golf courses, and ALL the pools, and ALL the rec centers, in addition to all the public stuff that anyone can enjoy.

I'd say that's a steal.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
For me, I have zero interest in golf. I can't stand Florida. It is the "lifestyle" that gives me hope of being happy in the Villages. And they have that lifestyle in abundance. Sure I could live in a bigger house on bigger property in Stonecrest. But I'd be stuck maintaining that property, and keeping that house clean, and if I wanted to go anywhere I'd have to leave the community to do so. Plus hubby would get to play at exactly one golf course for the rest of his life, because we wouldn't be able to afford to pay for him to go to any others.
For $158 per month (the new amenity fee) we get ALL the golf courses, and ALL the pools, and ALL the rec centers, in addition to all the public stuff that anyone can enjoy.
I'd say that's a steal.
If the cost of golf is important and potentially a problem for your husband, make sure he understands that playing the Championship Courses in The Villages can be costly, a Resident has to pay about $60 per 18 hole round and half that to play a 9 hole round during the limited times for 9 hole play.
It's the shorter 9 hole Executive Courses that are basically available for free access (you must pay an annual Trail Fee of $145).
Most male avid golfers here feel "real" golf is played on the Championship Courses and wouldn't be caught dead on an Executive Course. If your husband feels this way, then The Villages might not be for him.
I'm a good golfer and have always played on good caliber 18 hole golf courses. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the Executive Courses here but I do. I find them to be very challenging and fun to play. However, in my experience here, I've found most male golfers don't feel the same way.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I'd say that's a steal.
I'm in a similar situation. I REALLY don't like the idea of a deed restricted community. "Land of the free" my butt. But my wife has wanted to live in a planned community for a long time. And she likes deed restrictions because they "keep the property values up" (whatever). The big draw for me of TV is all the clubs. I have several hobbies I plan to pursue much more seriously when retired. I like that TV has 2000+ clubs with an extremely diverse set of interests. I don't play golf, but I like being outside, so we'll most likely play golf now and then. I like swimming, so all the pools will be a nice amenity.

So there are trade-offs. There are things about TV I don't like. There are things I do. I'm willing to endure the things I don't like for the things I do - and to make my wife happy.

Who knows, we may move down there and hate it - for various unforeseen reasons. We may be ecstatic.

I'm doing as much research up front (my participation in these forums is part of that) to minimize the surprises and know what we're getting into.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage

Fees for golf with Priority membership.

https://golfthevillages.com/images/T...Golf-Rates.pdf

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, news, forums, things, dogs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.