Would you recommend The Villages for me?

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Let's not forget the executive courses

"wouldn't be caught dead on executive courses"? What a crock of crap.

And you don't have to pay the yearly trail fee as stated above. You can pay it at the course every time you play.
Steve
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Smile

The house across the street from us is going up for sale very shortly. We are a friendly bunch. With your background, I wouldn't mind having you for a neighbor.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quills View Post
We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the street so someone had to look over a fence line. Stickers on mailboxes, gnomes on yards, 2 many dogs, etc.
I have a military and police background so I respect rules and laws. However, it seems to me, you must conform to The Villages or you will be hounded by anonymous neighbors, it sounds scary.
Are things exaggerated on the forums and news commentaries? I would love to hear opinions/remarks about your experiences.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia
Fred,
The things you have mentioned, although I have never heard of them, may have happened. You mentioned the one about too many dogs. I am not sure how many "several" dogs are but I remember correctly when we moved in there was something about grandfathering in dog that you currently own. Check with the main office. The thing that I know people do not like is people who do not clean up after their dogs. Most people carry a bag with them. Allowing the dog/s to poop on someone's yard and not cleaning it up is rude.
Your other things you like are quite okay, as is a well cared for dog. Keep in mind that you are hearing from a few folks out of 100,000 plus people.
If you decide to retire here
Old 03-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Let's not forget the executive courses

"wouldn't be caught dead on executive courses"? What a crock of crap.

And you don't have to pay the yearly trail fee as stated above. You can pay it at the course every time you play.
Steve
Playing the executive courses is totally free if you walk. Great exercise!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the street so someone had to look over a fence line. Stickers on mailboxes, gnomes on yards, 2 many dogs, etc.
I have a military and police background so I respect rules and laws. However, it seems to me, you must conform to The Villages or you will be hounded by anonymous neighbors, it sounds scary.
Are things exaggerated on the forums and news commentaries? I would love to hear opinions/remarks about your experiences.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia
Not for you - nobody drinks bud here
Old 03-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
I REALLY don't like the idea of a deed restricted community. "Land of the free" my butt. But my wife has wanted to live in a planned community for a long time. And she likes deed restrictions because they "keep the property values up" (whatever).
I once had a conversation with a friend when I was considering moving to TV:

Iconoclast: Why would anyone live in a gulag that prohibits you from painting your damned front door the color you want?

Me: People who don't care what color their damned door is?

It's certainly a choice with repercussions. Aside from the weather, family, and health considerations, anecdotal evidence indicates that a number of the folks who leave do so because they chafed at being too closed in with other neighbors, not because of any deed hindrances.

Luckily the people who enjoy restoring old cars in their driveways or keeping hens tend to know that about themselves and do not move here.

"Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above
Don't fence me in."
Old 03-09-2019, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Not if you rattle easy, are thin skinned or impatient.....
Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

You will not have several dogs for too long. The rule is two pets. You bring the ones you have, and as they pass on, you work your way down to two. I can't see neighbors liking a lot of cigar smoking in these close quarters. Or music outside if it's a bit loud while you're polishing your cars. I'm thinking you would be happier with more space.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You will not have several dogs for too long. The rule is two pets. You bring the ones you have, and as they pass on, you work your way down to two. I can't see neighbors liking a lot of cigar smoking in these close quarters. Or music outside if it's a bit loud while you're polishing your cars. I'm thinking you would be happier with more space.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-09-2019, 11:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia
Hey Quills, its the luck of the draw just as it would be anywhere. We have been here for three years and have yet to meet any neighbor who is a real PinHead. You worked your entire life for this place, your reward, my reward also, it is a great thing to live here.

Are things exaggerated on the forums and news commentaries? I would love to hear opinions/remarks about your experiences. The answer is yes because people are paper tigers and have Bud Muscles when they are posting but when you meet the same people when you're picking up your mail, at the pool, at the square those same people want what we all want, to live the home stretch in peace. We are all on the 20-yard line in the 4th quarter going in for the score and don't want to penalize one another.

Smoke your See Gar, Wax That Car and Love Your Music and play it but just be considerate like you probably are. I think you would fit in our neighborhood just fine. I hope you like it here it really is great! Welcome.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I’m not sure if anyone can tell you if you will love it here. The newest areas seem to be at a slower pace.

In Harmswood the lots are larger, and you have much more space. There are several home offered there by TV and MLS agents.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Simple Solution

The simple solution to the question is to read the Deed Restrictions and if you can't live by them don't move here. If you can you will not find a better place for your retirement and being in a "God's waiting room". Have lived here going on 12 year and would not want to live anywhere else at this stage of our life.
Lived for 13 years on the beach and it was fine for a year or two but how long seeing fish and walking the beach can you stand? There are residents who like to try to beat the rules and they are the ones who are a pain in the neck.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:24 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

We like it here just fine. There are some of the grumpiest old Folks here, but many more of the nicest.
There is an obvious overtone of political bias here, but if you don’t start the conversation it never comes up.
You will hear about the rising chrime here, but after living in the Wash D.C. suburbs for years I find that comical.
You will hear folks complain about having to follow the rules they signed before moving in, but that is why we came here.
You will hear about the bars serving too many alcohol beverages, but well, it’s a bar silly.

Bottom line: If you don’t find your niche, activity, etc. etc., here, good lock finding it anywhere.

Note: When our teanage granddaughter visitd last hear she said “THIS PLACE IS THE BOMB”. I thinks that is good.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Just to be clear... in almost all parts of the Villages the limit is two dogs period... there is no provision to move in with more and work down to two. You have to read the covenants you will sign to find out for sure.

Many people will say you can move in with extra dogs but that is only because you will probably get away with it if you want to play the odds. But if anyone complains to community standards, even someone from outside of your neighborhood 10 miles away, you will almost certainly be told to remove the extra dogs. Yes, unfortunately, there are people who drive around the Villages just so they can complain to community standards.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Well Fred it seems you don't like some rules we have here and making those who help enforce them sound bad doesn't sound like law enforcement left much of a mark on you. The live and let live is nice in some areas, but you would be moving into a city that has it's ordinances and some are distasteful to you(barking dogs, letting your dogs do their business anywhere, etc.). I would be one of those who complains to the authorities if you got loud outside or inside...your dogs were a problem(to me). You see I don't really mind the live and let live if it doesn't effect my quality of life(a reason I moved here), but if it does...well then I'll politely turn you in.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, news, forums, things, dogs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.