Would you recommend The Villages for me?

Would you recommend The Villages for me?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-10-2019, 10:37 PM

You don't even have to live the "lifestyle" here to be happy. Just take life the way you want. There is loads more to Florida than just here.
Steve

Old 02-10-2019, 11:02 PM

For me, I have zero interest in golf. I can't stand Florida. It is the "lifestyle" that gives me hope of being happy in the Villages. And they have that lifestyle in abundance. Sure I could live in a bigger house on bigger property in Stonecrest. But I'd be stuck maintaining that property, and keeping that house clean, and if I wanted to go anywhere I'd have to leave the community to do so. Plus hubby would get to play at exactly one golf course for the rest of his life, because we wouldn't be able to afford to pay for him to go to any others.

For $158 per month (the new amenity fee) we get ALL the golf courses, and ALL the pools, and ALL the rec centers, in addition to all the public stuff that anyone can enjoy.

I'd say that's a steal.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
For me, I have zero interest in golf. I can't stand Florida. It is the "lifestyle" that gives me hope of being happy in the Villages. And they have that lifestyle in abundance. Sure I could live in a bigger house on bigger property in Stonecrest. But I'd be stuck maintaining that property, and keeping that house clean, and if I wanted to go anywhere I'd have to leave the community to do so. Plus hubby would get to play at exactly one golf course for the rest of his life, because we wouldn't be able to afford to pay for him to go to any others.
For $158 per month (the new amenity fee) we get ALL the golf courses, and ALL the pools, and ALL the rec centers, in addition to all the public stuff that anyone can enjoy.
I'd say that's a steal.
If the cost of golf is important and potentially a problem for your husband, make sure he understands that playing the Championship Courses in The Villages can be costly, a Resident has to pay about $60 per 18 hole round and half that to play a 9 hole round during the limited times for 9 hole play.
It's the shorter 9 hole Executive Courses that are basically available for free access (you must pay an annual Trail Fee of $145).
Most male avid golfers here feel "real" golf is played on the Championship Courses and wouldn't be caught dead on an Executive Course. If your husband feels this way, then The Villages might not be for him.
I'm a good golfer and have always played on good caliber 18 hole golf courses. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the Executive Courses here but I do. I find them to be very challenging and fun to play. However, in my experience here, I've found most male golfers don't feel the same way.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

I'd say that's a steal.
I'm in a similar situation. I REALLY don't like the idea of a deed restricted community. "Land of the free" my butt. But my wife has wanted to live in a planned community for a long time. And she likes deed restrictions because they "keep the property values up" (whatever). The big draw for me of TV is all the clubs. I have several hobbies I plan to pursue much more seriously when retired. I like that TV has 2000+ clubs with an extremely diverse set of interests. I don't play golf, but I like being outside, so we'll most likely play golf now and then. I like swimming, so all the pools will be a nice amenity.

So there are trade-offs. There are things about TV I don't like. There are things I do. I'm willing to endure the things I don't like for the things I do - and to make my wife happy.

Who knows, we may move down there and hate it - for various unforeseen reasons. We may be ecstatic.

I'm doing as much research up front (my participation in these forums is part of that) to minimize the surprises and know what we're getting into.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage

Fees for golf with Priority membership.

https://golfthevillages.com/images/T...Golf-Rates.pdf

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Let's not forget the executive courses

"wouldn't be caught dead on executive courses"? What a crock of crap.

And you don't have to pay the yearly trail fee as stated above. You can pay it at the course every time you play.
Steve
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Smile

The house across the street from us is going up for sale very shortly. We are a friendly bunch. With your background, I wouldn't mind having you for a neighbor.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quills View Post
We are considering moving to Florida very soon. We have visited there for many years. The Village's was at the top of our list for our retirement location. We have stayed there 3 times over the last 2 years.
Among many things, I enjoy washing/polishing my cars while listening to music, smoking cigars in the yard with a few buds and I have several dogs. I believe in live and let live.
I've been following forums, news and comments sections about The Villages. I notice quite often people complaining about their neighbors. Unapproved pavers behind fences, not visible to the street so someone had to look over a fence line. Stickers on mailboxes, gnomes on yards, 2 many dogs, etc.
I have a military and police background so I respect rules and laws. However, it seems to me, you must conform to The Villages or you will be hounded by anonymous neighbors, it sounds scary.
Are things exaggerated on the forums and news commentaries? I would love to hear opinions/remarks about your experiences.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Fred & Sonia
Fred,
The things you have mentioned, although I have never heard of them, may have happened. You mentioned the one about too many dogs. I am not sure how many "several" dogs are but I remember correctly when we moved in there was something about grandfathering in dog that you currently own. Check with the main office. The thing that I know people do not like is people who do not clean up after their dogs. Most people carry a bag with them. Allowing the dog/s to poop on someone's yard and not cleaning it up is rude.
Your other things you like are quite okay, as is a well cared for dog. Keep in mind that you are hearing from a few folks out of 100,000 plus people.
If you decide to retire here

Tags
villages, news, forums, things, dogs