Your virtual neighbors from VA

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Yorio, where can I get info on the different VA clubs. My husband is from SW VA. He went to JMU and so it would be fun to go to different clubs activities when we are at TV.
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Yorio, not Piedmont, we live on Evergreen golf course, a private CC about 3 miles North of Piedmont.

ncvarcallo, yes good wine, good food, love to cook, love most all ethnic foods, and would love to meet you sometime. My biggest problem with the move is how to set up a wine cellar in our Villages home.

shalomuall, been to Sterling many times so we are close to you as well. Good luck with your move and would also enjoy meeting you as well.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Default Hello to Haymarket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Another Virginian and soon to be Villager. We bought in 2008 and have been snowflakes. Finally retired March 31 and just put the house up for sale this week. We are in Haymarket VA.
We are from Haymarket. Sold our house on Gypsum Hill Road the end of January..came down and rented until our house was built in Sanibel. Love it here. Good Luck selling your house! We were blessed with a quick sale and hope you are too! Love to meet you guys at one of the Crisper luncheons when you get down here. Judy
Old 07-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalomuall View Post
Yorio, where can I get info on the different VA clubs. My husband is from SW VA. He went to JMU and so it would be fun to go to different clubs activities when we are at TV.
Thanks.
I am from Chesapeake! My two sons graduated from JMU. Go Dukes!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Shalomuall. We are still in VA so don't remember when these two clubs meet. You may want to check Club forum or Virginia Terrace web sight under clubs. If I were in The Villages, the Thursday activities bulletin will give that information. Perhaps other knowledgable people might give you more information. It will be fun if your visit coincides with the meeting. If I recall the Old Dominion group had smaller group.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran member
Default 12ridehd

12ridehd I believe there was a team match amongst Piedmont, Evergreen and Old Dominion Clubs but don't know whether it is still been contested. Having read your posting, obviously you love wine. I love wines also but not drinking as much as I used to though I still like to try all kinds of wines. Am trying to set up a small wine tasting group. Will you help? Or, if you are moving there permanently, will you want to set up one? Also, let me know how well you moved your wine cellar. Come to think of it, this could be the start of a small Northern Virginian group.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:36 PM

We also are virtual residents but from MD. My husband and I purchased a spec home in the Village of Sanibel in June, 2012. Incredibly we have a 2 year renter beginning Aug, 2012 until Aug 2014 at which time we will take up permanent residence. We also love it and can't wait.

Jo Beth and Frank
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
We moved down from Montclair, Va (near Quantico) in 2008..never looked back!! We were in N Va (various parts) for 36 years and all we can say its great to be away from all the traffic and hectic life of N Va.
You said it right. it takes a big toll on us. We love the peaceful times at the Villages, can't really wait.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
12ridehd. You say you currently reside in Haymarket. By any chance you live in the gated community of Piedmont? Although we didn't live there we were members of the Piedmont Club off of Route 15 for many years. When Route 66 became too congested we finally quit. If you do, then we had many friends there.

To other Northern Virginians, we are still snow birds. Just in case you don't know there are two State clubs in the Villages. One I believe is called Old Virginians and many are from southern areas. The more active is called Mid-Atlantic Club and includes Maryland, Delaware, DC and Northern Virginia. We belong to both but it would be nice if we had a group for Northern Virginians. Just a thought.
These sound great. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
T h a n k s ..... a lot
Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartz0818 View Post
We also are virtual residents but from MD. My husband and I purchased a spec home in the Village of Sanibel in June, 2012. Incredibly we have a 2 year renter beginning Aug, 2012 until Aug 2014 at which time we will take up permanent residence. We also love it and can't wait.

Jo Beth and Frank
How luck can that be. This is wonderful, congrats!
We do got a nice renter for the past four years. 7/12 months and we are able to enjoy a bit of the summer there, which we absolutely love and "cry all way back" when we need to return.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Naly, another welcome to TOTV! What village is your home in? Hope you have a chance to read and post on TOTV on a regular basis.
Well, thank you! I am sure you are enjoying the contrast from the bitter cold Chicago area? My mother-in-law has a place in the historical district, close to the Paradise Center. That is when I was dating my second husband and met her in 2003. It was love at first sight, and the two best gifts I got from my dear Marilyn (which unfortunately has just moved to an assisted living facility): one is her son and the other is the Villages! Glad I can keep both and only have to share one of them :-). We did purchase a home at Calumet Grove, where Nancy Lopes restaurant is located. The restaurant is one of our dear ones... I love to eat out, but mainly absolutely love to cook from scratch! My frustration is that in the Washington area you cannot do all at the same time: swim, work, deal with traffic and have enough time to cook for dinner. When we go to the Villages, I enjoy cooking and my next door neighbor is my "guinea pig"... I think he enjoys what we share with him as he is always with a big smile when I share some ethnic meals. Hope to have a chance to continue to do so when we are there permanently and perhaps meet some of so many nice families and create a wine and dine group to celebrate cultures via meal/drink and a collection of pictures to remember. Then it will be really fun, all together: time, enjoyment and all that these things can bring! Thanks for the warm welcome! Time for me to stop. As a good Brazilian, we tend to keep on talking :-)

Last edited by ncarvalho; 08-04-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: just refining editing
Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Welcome! We also are from VA. Lived in Chesapeake (right above the NC line) and also in Kitty Hawk, NC for a while. Hope when you are here full time you can attend the VA Club meeting.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarvalho View Post
Well, thank you! I am sure you are enjoying the contrast from the bitter cold Chicago area? My mother-in-law has a place in the historical district, close to the Paradise Center. That is when I was dating my second husband and met her in 2003. It was love at first sight, and the two best gifts I got from my dear Marilyn (which unfortunately has just moved to an assisted living facility): one is her son and the other is the Villages! Glad I can keep both and only have to share one of them :-). We did purchase a home at Calumet Grove, where Nancy Lopes restaurant is located. The restaurant is one of our dear ones... I love to eat out, but mainly absolutely love to cook from scratch! My frustration is that in the Washington area you cannot do all at the same time: swim, work, deal with traffic and have enough time to cook for dinner. When we go to the Villages, I enjoy cooking and my next door neighbor is my "guinea pig"... I think he enjoys what we share with him as he is always with a big smile when I share some ethnic meals. Hope to have a chance to continue to do so when we are there permanently and perhaps meet some of so many nice families and create a wine and dine group to celebrate cultures via meal/drink and a collection of pictures to remember. Then it will be really fun, all together: time, enjoyment and all that these things can bring! Thanks for the warm welcome! Time for me to stop. As a good Brazilian, we tend to keep on talking :-)
Naly, I'm just a wannabee who hopes to move to TV sometime in the future, but I have been to TV 4 times in the past two years, with my next trip to TV coming up in October when I'm renting in the Village of Summerhill. I did surely enjoy renting in the Village of Chatham last year and eating at Nancy Lopez. I still work full time, and my former manager is traveling on business to Rio de Janeiro on August 20. It was quite an experience getting a Brazilian visa for him. Next Summer Olympics in Rio!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Sorry I only got to this today..
I also work full time and we went there in July this year. We try to go about 3 times a year. I still go to Brazil once a year to see my family and I also go to London (one of my sis lives there). I do travel sometimes (work) to Sub-Saharan Africa. Last year was more eventful. I was in Africa twice, went to see my Mom and sis in Brazil in August, later on my Mom fell quite ill and died in December (which brought me back to Brazil of course), then I spent Xmas in London with my other sis and we went a couple of time to the Villages as my Mother-in-Law fell ill also.
Now, I hope you get to go to Rio (my daughter is there now, on Study Abroad for the summer). I too had problems with my own Brazilian passport and for quite a few times was detained in Brazil --- there is a lot of bureaucracy and it is an interesting experience to deal with this, to say the least.
I am going back to TV in a couple of weeks before school starts. Cannot get enough of it! I am not familiar with the Village of Summerhill, but all villages seem very nice. Hope you enjoy your stay. I will be working full time till retirement, then off we go to TV...
Hope your colleage enjoys Rio. I was at TV in October and it is very nice, as I was swimming at around 8:00 pm and the season is very nice. Enjoy!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.