"You're doing what!? Moving where?!"

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Default "You're doing what!? Moving where?!"

Hi folks.

The title of my post was my question to my parents when they told me they were moving to a place called The Villages (TV) in a town called Lady Lake (This was over 10 years ago.) in the state of Florida. My mother and father were the models of stability. For them to say they were selling off everything and leaving all of us children and grandchildren behind was shocking to say the least.

My wife, children, and I finally came down to visit after about 6 months. Our first impression was, "What kind of fantasy land is this? Everybody is too friendly. Mom and Dad are too happy. Something can't be right here."

But it is all right. That's what we realized after a couple of more trips. Sure, every place has it quirks and problems, but as far as I'm concerned I could not have been happier for my mom and dad once I figured out what this place is all about.

Unfortunately, dad died within a year of them moving to TV. Our family all thought mom would move back home. "Why would I do that? This is my home now. My friends live here. I'm not going anywhere.", is what mom told us when asked (because we assumed she would) when she was coming "home".

The main thing I'm attempting to convey is that as a child of a full-timer in TV, it is comforting to know that my mother is happy. After all, it is about her, not us. I know she stays busy as it seems I'm usually tracking her down on her cell phone if I want to talk to her. The home phone? Ha! Don't bother. She's probably not there unless it's close to bedtime.

So if you're a person who ends up asking the same questions I asked my parents, don't despair. The odds are they will love it at The Villages. And... you'll have a great reason to go to Florida! Hug them and wish them the best as they set out on their new phase in life.

MaybeKid

(And here I was, searching for something totally unrelated to TV and ended up here anyway. Providence?)
Old 08-13-2011, 02:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeKid View Post
Hi folks.

The title of my post was my question to my parents when they told me they were moving to a place called The Villages (TV) in a town called Lady Lake (This was over 10 years ago.) in the state of Florida. My mother and father were the models of stability. For them to say they were selling off everything and leaving all of us children and grandchildren behind was shocking to say the least.

My wife, children, and I finally came down to visit after about 6 months. Our first impression was, "What kind of fantasy land is this? Everybody is too friendly. Mom and Dad are too happy. Something can't be right here."

But it is all right. That's what we realized after a couple of more trips. Sure, every place has it quirks and problems, but as far as I'm concerned I could not have been happier for my mom and dad once I figured out what this place is all about.

Unfortunately, dad died within a year of them moving to TV. Our family all thought mom would move back home. "Why would I do that? This is my home now. My friends live here. I'm not going anywhere.", is what mom told us when asked (because we assumed she would) when she was coming "home".

The main thing I'm attempting to convey is that as a child of a full-timer in TV, it is comforting to know that my mother is happy. After all, it is about her, not us. I know she stays busy as it seems I'm usually tracking her down on her cell phone if I want to talk to her. The home phone? Ha! Don't bother. She's probably not there unless it's close to bedtime.

So if you're a person who ends up asking the same questions I asked my parents, don't despair. The odds are they will love it at The Villages. And... you'll have a great reason to go to Florida! Hug them and wish them the best as they set out on their new phase in life.

MaybeKid

(And here I was, searching for something totally unrelated to TV and ended up here anyway. Providence?)
MaybeKid -- What a nice story -- thank you for posting this. Your mom is a TV veteran!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Hi folks.

MaybeKid

Thank you MaybeKid. This post is being copied and sent to our precious daughter Gretchen who is missing us right now, as we have just begun to be full time villagers.

YES. Providence!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Platinum member
Default A lovely gesture!

What a great 'kid' you are to post this.... I'm sure your Mom is proud as a peacock to know you did! I'm sending you a virtual hug this morning.... you brightened MY day too!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Smile

This is great and I have sent it on to our two girls
Old 08-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Default Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for sharing your story! It brought back memories of my MOM who I lost this year. Remember this, don't assume your parents will be there forever. I never appreciated what my father did for me until he was gone. I still miss him and its been 10 years. Keep in touch with your MOM because eventually she going to need your help!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Gold member

We have been telling our adult "kids" for a year now that we would be moving to TV in the next year or so (ever since our first visit in June 2010). We rented a house last month to look for our "last resort" in TV. You could see the nervousness with the "kids" as the time approached for us to leave. Hubby and I had a brilliant idea...we invited them down for a couple of days to check TV out. My youngest son and daughter came down towards the end of July. While my hubby and I were signing papers at Citizens, the "kids" strolled around LSL eating and shopping (my daughter had never been to IZOD...she bought the place out!) After about an hour+ signing papers, we met up with the "kids". They were smiling. For the next three days, we shopped, golfed, ate, and the most fun they had was at karaoke Friday night at Red Sauce. The only dissapointment they had was not having more time to shop, golf and eat and Karaoke. They loved TV...and now know why we have become Villagers! They are genuinely happy for us and can't wait to visit again!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Gold member
Default Shocking!

Thank you MaybeKid. By sharing your story, you have soothed the wounded souls of many of us who made the decision to move here. My husband and I were met with similar incredulous reactions by friends and family. While some have realized as you did, that this place is THE place for us, others are still hurt. Needless to say, I've copied and forwarded your "thread" to those. Appreciate your kindness in taking the time to post. Its truly "A wonderful day in The Villages" Sandra
Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Hi folks.

MaybeKid

I'm sorry for the loss of your father MaybeKid. I'm happy to hear your mother seems to be getting along fine here in paradise though. Since we've been fulltime here, I've met so many wonderful people and heard similar stories. The support system from neighbors and friends is tremendous in TV. I think it is because we all have that initial move here in common.

We met a young man in his early-30s who moved down when his stepfather died and left his mother all alone. He said she insisted she was fine, but he knew how devastated she was at his death. He said he came down because he couldn't imagine her grieving and sitting alone in her home in Florida.

He laughed as he told us how he was sitting in her home by himself after work, exhausted, while his mom was out and about with her friends dancing, playing cards, BINGO, movies, swimming, taking her "college" classes and on and on.

He has since moved back to New York in pursuit of a woman he'd left behind. Before he left paradise he said he wasn't worried about her and knew she was happy and going to be okay.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Gold member
Default Great post

I have met several women who were (sadly) widowed soon after moving to TV, and they all said they were glad they decided to stay - so much more to do here, and so much more an inclusive society. Didn't lose their "couple friends" as it is so easy to do. Of course, I'm not meeting the ones who chose to move back.

Part of it, I think, is not having to drive places alone at night. Or if you do, it's to a nearby rec center or square. Either they are so busy during the day they are happy to be home at night, or it is just easy to get out and about by golf cart, or do neighborhood things and walk! Plus, winter weather keeps us more glued to the couch as we age.

My oldest daughter has 4 sets of parents/in-laws (2 divorced parents). She has commented on more than 1 occasion that we are the only ones who seem to have "a life" with social activities, interest group activities, etc. We are the only ones who live in a retirement community.

As a snowbird, I have to say it takes more of an effort to do things away from TV, although at this point in our lives, we are enjoying both. If I had to choose 1 place, it would be TV.

It is great to see adult children supporting their parents' decision to move south and have a life!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Some good posts here.... One of the most important things to remember is that everything changes...always. Nothing ever stays the same...

Our Son was probably more prepared than most, at our decision to live in TV. We had previously moved to Japan (He was in college & stayed in school) and then to Germany (after he was married). Now, he feels like if we're [at least] on the same continent, that's a good thing...

Of course, they came to visit us in the spring. NOW, they understand. They have already reserved their rooms for next year... ha ha

No doubt...leaving the first time is the hardest.

Tschuss...
Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

How long were you in Japan and did you like it there?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Thanks for the post

Our son came to TV with his wife in July for the first time when we are away and got lost in TV. He was totally surprised when I told him the area is bigger than Manhattan. They both loved the place. Next time they brought their six year old twins, visited the house and ate at R. J. Gators. Also, they strolled around LSL. Comments from our grandkids about their first experience "awesome". Now they all know why we chose TV. Our in-laws are now contemplating a move here once he retires. We are glad to be Frogs and doubt I'll move away even if my partner leaves me. Don't know about her.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Last summer, while we were making plans to spend January and February 2011 in The Villages, our 30 year old son tried to talk us out of it - said we did not want go go "there" - we were "too young" and there would be "nothing to do" (Our main motivation was to get out of the PA snow!). We arrived "there" on January 2nd, our son arrived on January 4th - and LOVED being "there". He could not believe how beautiful it was in The Villages and how much there was to do, how nice the people were and OH - the GOlf Carts! He was hooked after a few hours! We had such a good time in January and February that we also booked March. And in May, our now 31 year old son came back to The Villages with us to close on our new home, and is looking forward to a short vacation with us in September and tells all of his friends how great The Villages is! Another "kid" comes around!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
How long were you in Japan and did you like it there?
We lived in Kobe, Japan (close to Osaka) for 4 years. Although the Kansai area is approximately 24 million people, we loved the whole time we were there and made lots of Japanese friends.

Ja matte...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.