Emergency Management

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Default Emergency Management

Emergency management and services related to preparation for severe weather, floods, hurricanes and other disaster response activities fall under the purview of the county in which you live. If you have questions on severe weather or other emergency management issues in your area, please contact the appropriate county below. Lake, Marion and Sumter Counties also have programs designed to notify their residents of weather incidents, hazardous conditions and other important information. To sign up for the notifications in your county, please visit the links below or contact the county in which you live for additional information.
Lake County - Emergency Management: (352) 343-9420 or visit Emergency Management Home - Public Safety

Marion County - Emergency Management: (352) 732-8181 or visit EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT — Marion County Sheriff's Office

Sumter County—Emergency Management: (352) 689-4400 or visit Emergency Management | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

More...
Old 09-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you get satellite TV remember it may go off the air for a while so be sure you have a radio.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

So far so good. DirecTv is amazing. It may be a little early to pass judgement but I am happier than a clam at high tide with CenturyLink so far....When we had Concast where we used to live we would have been without Internet Service already. Took a chance and it looks like it's paying off. Bravo TOTV for the good recommendations.

Why can't we stream The Villages radio station?

Emergency Management Personnel people are the greatest....Thank You All!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So far so good. DirecTv is amazing. It may be a little early to pass judgement but I am happier than a clam at high tide with CenturyLink so far....When we had Concast where we used to live we would have been without Internet Service already. Took a chance and it looks like it's paying off. Bravo TOTV for the good recommendations.

Why can't we stream The Villages radio station?
No problems with Comcast in 1 1/2 years Ive lived here. I wish I could've said the same about Centurylink.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
No problems with Comcast in 1 1/2 years Ive lived here. I wish I could've said the same about Centurylink.
No problems with Comcast for 12 years!
Oh-oh I hope I didn't just jinx it for us!!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 PM

This is about the Villages TV Station. During very bad weather such as Hurricane Hermine, the TV station should stop showing useless shows about bees and talk about the potential danger that this weather is bringing to the Villages. The Weather Channel and WESH talks about areas other than our community. Since we have a dedicated TV station, why not do something useful with it like possibly saving people's lives??? At least have someone live talking about possible tornadoes??? I'm sure folks would be willing to call in and supply weather information. You wouldn't have to put a reporter in harms way, but at least give us something more to feel good about as far as our amenities fee. It doesn't happen often that the tv station would need to do this, but I bet residents would really appreciate it!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:31 PM

I went to the Villages radio station to hear the urgent weather updates that the tv station says to go to because the tv station says " Don't get stuck on tv stations giving you Orlando and coastal weather - Local weather on AM 640 WVLG" but instead heard 'Eye of the Tiger' rather than my urgent local weather update. While that was an amusing and quite ironic music choice, when The Villages tv station tells residents to go to AM 640 to hear urgent weather updates and what we hear is programmed music? Why bother with either the Villages tv station OR AM 640? Might as well go back to WESH. At least we'll get CLOSE to seeing urgent weather updates! Why don't we use the tv and radio station when we really do need to when it's urgent? If we only save 1 life or 1 home, it would certainly be worth it! Especially if that 1 life or 1 home was your own.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Sage

Turn on your tv to WESH....they show all three of our counties and have up to date radar and National Weather Service warnings, watches, advisories. Local radio stations might not be able to do this. Things are fluid and change in seconds....wouldn't you rather see where things are happening and better see what's coming?

Last edited by pooh; 09-01-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:05 AM
Default Wvlg

While reading the Daily Sun this morning, I got a chuckle when I saw that I should tune in to WVLG for updated on the storm warnings.

My husband and I lived here during the Hurricane Charlie scare of 2004 and the tornado of 2007. So we prepared accordingly (buying new batteries for our radio among other things).

Last night at 8:30 our weather radio went off telling us that there was a tornado warning and The Villages was in the path. All three major networks pre-empted regular programming to cover the event. I decided to turn on the radio to get "real-time" updates from WVLG. At 8:45, I heard a couple of minutes of commercials, followed by music. So much for tuning in for updates.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

For those who may be interested, there is an app for smart phones called "Code Red".

Provides alert information, customized to the individual wants as well as how to be notified.

A similar program is avaialable through the Sumter County Sheriff's web site (I do not know the availability at other sheriff's offices or not).
Go to
Welcome to the Sumter County Sheriff's Office Website
go to left side and scroll down to Code Red and proceded.

I have registered with both.

My weather radio did not function at all last night. Working with nothing but static.....must be time to replace.
Closed Thread

Tags
county, management, emergency, visit, weather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.