Morse Boulevard Lake Sumter Island Slope Stability Analysis

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2016, 07:00 AM
Administrator
Default Morse Boulevard Lake Sumter Island Slope Stability Analysis

On Monday, August 1, 2016 the Project Wide Advisory Committee (PWAC) held a meeting that included a presentation and review of a Slope Stability Analysis performed by Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. (KHA) for the Lake Sumter island embankment on Morse Boulevard. The goal and objective of the analysis was to hault and prevent further erosion along the perimeter of the embankment during average conditions, and offer engineered options that were aesthetically pleasing that require minimal maintenance. The analysis did not include the Morse Boulevard bridge over Lake Sumter, and there is no evidence of issues with the structure.
The review included work performed by a sub-contracted geo-technical engineering firm who conducted extensive soil borings to thoroughly evaluate the slope of the island based on previous sloughing that occurred. Their findings concluded that the existing slope exceeded the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) minimum factor of safety for permanent slopes.
In conjunction with the information received from the geo-technical engineer, KHA further evaluated water depth, wind speed/direction, and wave height to conclude that erosion was occurring as a result of repetitive wave action during average weather conditions. KHA Engineers in attendance at the meeting presented three options to the PWAC to mitigate further erosion on the island embankment:
1. Rock Revetment structure fill and plantings
a. Highest construction cost ($1.47 Mil.); permanent solution with lowest anticipated maintenance.
2. Living shoreline with a toe protection breakwater structure
a. High construction cost ($1 Mil.); ongoing maintenance required.
3. Placement of additional coarse sediment fill with native plantings
a. Lowest construction cost ($520,000); highest recurring maintenance and least likely to address erosion as compared to option 1 and
The PWAC had extensive discussions regarding the options and the desire for a long-term solution that required minimal ongoing maintenance. Based on the review and information provided, and audience input, the PWAC directed staff to work with KHA to develop information to proceed with a rock revetment, option 1. Additional information will be presented at a future meeting.
The full Slope Stability Analysis is available on www.DistrictGov.org, or by clicking the following direct link: http://www.districtgov.org/PDFView/P...20160801pa0201

More...
Old 08-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default Who is liable for the cost of repairs?

After reading this, I am curious as to who is being told that they are liable for the cost of repairs?

TV residents, or The Developer?

Quote:

"Their findings concluded that the existing slope exceeded the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) minimum factor of safety for permanent slopes."
I suppose though that it would go back to whether the design had a flaw in it, or it was caused by 'natural erosion' that would have been unanticipated by a competent engineering firm.

I know one thing for sure though, it sure would have been nice had they added a couple of feet to the width of the golf cart path over those bridges.

Thanks for the info TOTV Team.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

older discussion of this topic -> Bridge at Lake Sumter Landing
Old 08-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

According to the Article the other day all districts S/O 466 would be paying for it. I for one don't see why ALL the districts aren't paying for it. Just my opinion and I know I'm going to get slammed for it.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
According to the Article the other day all districts S/O 466 would be paying for it. I for one don't see why ALL the districts aren't paying for it. Just my opinion and I know I'm going to get slammed for it.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I have never disagreed with any of your posts and I don't now.

It is my opinion that we won't "feel it" personally as this place appears to be run with contingency funds. I guess you could call that self insured. I think money is set aside for situations like this, just as many of us do at home.

And some don't.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I live north of 466 and I agree with you that it should be spread across all homeowners - we're all in this together and splitting things into "us & them" is divisive

I also think that taking this opportunity to widen the golf cart path would make a lot of sense - in a previous thread there was talk of hanging a sidewalk off the bridge sections?
Closed Thread

Tags
maintenance, slope, analysis, kha, pwac

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.