Research Underway for Golf Cart Tunnel Project

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Personally I see no problem with lighting in the tunnels .. but I do see LOTS of drivers going into the tunnels much too fast.
What a waste to use lighting when most of the problem is from the drivers carelessness.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

I would suggest taking the a couple of the "worst offending tunnels" and installing speed bumps to slow down the drivers, and observe the results. After reading many of the above comments, I really think the first step is to slow down the golf cart drivers, and unfortunately, speed bumps appears to be the only way to do this.
I will also suggest that these be installed in a manner that they cannot be avoided, say by going in the opposing lane of traffic, etc., so these would probably have to extend across the entire cart path. Of course these should be suitable marked so it is obvious that the speed bumps have been installed.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:13 PM

Absolutely hate speed bumps,
Old 07-22-2019, 11:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
Absolutely hate speed bumps,
Yeah me too! They slow you down!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:50 AM
Sage

I believe all cars will do in excess of 100 mph except for Smart cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
And the people doing in excess of 20 mph in them probably have cars that will do in excess of 100 mph.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
And the people doing in excess of 20 mph in them probably have cars that will do in excess of 100 mph.

The obvious difference of course, is that there isn't a law restricting those vehicles...to 100mph or less.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:32 AM
Sage

How do you know it will do 28 mph if you never drive at that speed ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
We have a Club Car and it can get up to 28 miles per hour........we NEVER drive at that speed. We keep it between 18 to 20 mph, we also drive defensively i.e. “watch out for the other guy.” We may be overly cautious and don’t usually drive in the dark. A bonus we don’t drink and drive even a golf cart.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:59 AM

I support all efforts 100%, one life is worth any cost. However, the reply above from "Skip" comes closer to the problem than any of the conclusions of the study group concerning lighting IN the tunnels and painting them (again, I support this, not panning it). I believe it will be interesting to see exactly how each of these steps affects the desired outcome; NO deaths or injuries. However, I am most curious about the relationship between alcohol and consumption of other drugs, but especially alcohol, along with the totally reckless driving you see each and every day here (much increased in the winters when the population swells of course), and the number of serious "accidents". Attempting to "beat" another cart to the tunnel entrance is common at the tunnels near Miona Rec center and the tunnel past Arnold Palmer club as you go toward village of Bonnybrook entrance. I strongly suspect these variables (alcohol, effects of other drugs legal and illegal on mental state, and just plain reckless driving habits) are actually what results in the highest percentage of these "accidents". But no need to be hateful in your replies, I repeat, I support ANY and ALL efforts to make our community safe for everyone. We have far too many people who "must win" the golf cart path "race".

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 07-23-2019 at 10:30 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Default Show some support

So it is really great that all you people have these opinions, and they are all very good, but none of you and I mean all of you never show up to your CDD meeting, or the PWAC meetings!! Only when you want to keep your lawn ornaments. Voice your opinion in person, not behind a blog post!
Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM

As much as speed bumps are generally disliked, they are likely the most effective solution at this time. Last week, I was actually honked at for stopping at the designated line exiting a tunnel! Many of the ;tunnel entrance /exit turns are so tight you nearly have to pull into possible traffic to see what's there. Some people are even oblivious to the mirrors that are in place for a good reason. Just like ignoring stop signs on streets and swinging wide at street intersections, these same folks shouldn't be driving golf carts either. So, if you don't like to feel the speed bumps, too bad. That's better than being run over. Possibly better lighting at entrance / exit points would be a small help, but how many accidents involve carts hitting the walls of the tunnel? Lighting inside the tunnel does not need improvement, but better driving habits would certainly reduce accidents, and speed bumps should have a positive impact on our "entitled" citizens.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:31 PM

Simple fix, just slow down, stop at stop signs, put down your phone, do not drink so much you can not drive and if you can not see in the tunnel pay $50 to get additional lights on your cart at your cost, not mine. This is beginning to sound like many others in todays society that want to blame everything on someone or something else and not take responsibility for their actions. There are consequences for your actions and the consequence for these bad actions can be life changing in a bad way. The worst parts of these accidents are if there are other victims of these peoples irresponsibility and lack of caring.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage

I personally find it strange, that the stated goal is "research" and yet one of the Supervisors has seemed to already determine that one of the issues is lighting inside the tunnels and is wanting to spend money on it...before it's even established that this is an actual issue.

Common sense (and about 45 years of performing root cause analysis on incidents/accidents/injuries) says that you do the research first, eliminate any confirmation bias and/or personal opinions, then evaluate the actual facts...to establish the root cause(s) of these accidents/incidents.

I'm just guessing (since I haven't seen any underlying data), but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the lighting in the tunnel has had little more than an ancillary association...to the majority of accidents.

On an anecdotal level, the problems I've seen negotiating certain tunnels are primarily due to;

1. Excessive speed (particularly when making a 90 degree turn).
2. Not stopping at the stop line.
3. Cutting the corners and not staying in the proper lane when entering/exiting the tunnel (excessive speed a contributory factor).

But even these anecdotal observations need actual statistics/facts...for actual confirmation.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

What may help is adding ridges to improve traction on the down slopes into the tunnels. When they are wet tires can slide. I’m wondering if they were to go back and correlate the accidents to rain if they would find the wet slopes contribute.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
What may help is adding ridges to improve traction on the down slopes into the tunnels. When they are wet tires can slide. I’m wondering if they were to go back and correlate the accidents to rain if they would find the wet slopes contribute.
Good point and another reason for looking at and taking into account...ALL of the facts.

As a confession, I too have locked them up on wet conditions.

To be perfectly honest though, it was primarily because I was obviously...going too fast.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM
Default tunnel accidents

the main problem is speed. you don't have to do 20mph in the tunnel. if there is a person walking or biking, stay behind them till you are clear of the tunnel. my cart only does 20-22mph , and its the slowest one in the villages. I am passed by carts going 25-30 many times a day. don meisinger
Closed Thread

Tags
accidents, cart, golf, project, tunnels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.