2 cars vs. 1 car

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Default 2 cars vs. 1 car

We're planning on moving to TV this year. We think that we need both of our cars and one golf cart, but I believe that the majority of couples at TV get by with one car and one golf cart. Finding a home with a golf cart garage makes it more difficult and more expensive. Most of the homes that have these are either on the golf course or on corners, which isn't really what we want. What is your experience? Do you get by with one car and a golf cart? Do you have any regrets that you didn't get a golf cart garage? If you do have one, are you glad you spent the extra money for one? My husband will probably golf about 3 times a week. I might golf once a week. I'm fairly young (for TV that is...early 50's) and I just don't know if I'm ready to give up my car. :dontknow: I think we'll both be pretty active during the day going to different activities. My concern is that something I want to do will be at the other end of TV and will be too long of a trip by golf cart. I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Sage
Default Re: 2 cars vs. 1 car

gigi...we have 2 cars and one golf cart; more often than not, we 'fight' over who gets to take the golf cart. I think you would do real well with one car and two golf carts and ok with one of each; it's extremely rare that we would need to take both cars out at the same time. When one of our cars is not longer functional, it will be replaced with a second golf cart.

We have an extended garage (4 ft longer) and 2 full size cars and the golf cart fit in there nicely. That's another option over the golf cart garage.....a lot of extra space at far less the extra cost of a golf cart garage.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM

One and one half car garage(Patio Villa)one car,one golf cart,no problem.Been here 8 years.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Platinum member

We have a Courtyard Villa with a 1 1/2 car garage. We have gone down to 1 car and one golf cart. It is working out pretty well. My husband does volunteer work outside of The Villages, and he needs the car for this. When this happens I use the golf cart for my things. Often the car only comes out of the garage one or two times a week.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM

One car garage with double wide door. One car and a golf cart...seven years and it's adequate. No problem.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Gold member

Been here 10 years with 1 car and 1 golf cart. Use the golf cart more than the car. No problems. We are retired and there is hardly no place we can't get to by golf cart. That's one of the greatest benefits of TV. Other retirement communities we looked at, required a car for everything but golf.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 PM

One car and two electric golf carts. Two car garage but my husband would love to have a golf cart garage too. Our garage is very organized and roomy enough for what we have. We rarely use our automobile and use at least one of the golf carts every day.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 PM

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm reconsidering our need for two cars and a golf cart. Maybe we should start off with one car and a golf cart and see how it goes. We can always add another golf cart or a small car, as long as we get an extended garage or a golf cart garage. We saw a home that we liked in Duval with an extended garage back in June, but we hadn't sold our home, yet. It was good to see that option. If anyone feels that they really need both cars, I liked to hear from them! Thanks, again!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Platinum member

gigi22:
As a single person, I get by very easily with my car and my golf cart. But, you should listen to the others who've posted here, as there are very few reasons to have two cars! I've actually met several couples who've lived in TV for years who have given up their automobile altogether! They claim that, if they need to go anywhere where they can't go in their golfcart, they can easily call The Villages Taxi, or, better yet, their neighbor! A good way to save money!
Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

interesting question, my wife and I are wondering the same thing. I've seen the smart car (8' x 5') at www.smartusa.com that is street legal but might fit in that 1/2 spot. It's pricier but gives the flexibility to go anywhere. Just a thought.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Eternal Member

We have 2 cars now and expect we'll keep them both for awhile - I expect to be living in TV next year. I am planning on getting 2 carts and leaving a car in the driveway. Our normal (not expanded) 2 car garage easily holds one car and 2 carts, and our driveway is wide enough to maneuver around. Once one of the cars goes, we'll dump it and go with one car and 2 carts. All of our visits to TV have found the car in the garage and us riding around in the cart. As has been said before, one of the unique aspects of TV is the ability to go almost everywhere by cart.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Gold member

John N that was a good idea about the Smart Car. I will look into that.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 10-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Eternal Member

When I moved here, I had a car and a pickup truck. After we bought a cart, the pickup stayed outside of the 2 stall garage. Sold the pickup and get by just fine with the one car and the cart.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Hyacinth, let me know what you think about it, especially if you test drive or buy one. I'm curious
Old 10-14-2007, 08:49 AM

We have a two car garage and we have been able to get both cars, a Honda Element and an Accord, plus the golf car into the garage with the golf car sideways behind the Element.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.