2 cars vs. 1 car

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Sage
Default Re: 2 cars vs. 1 car

Decisions, Decisions

Which one of my six cars/truck/van/suv do I keep??????

Can probably retire on just the car payments, insurance and maintenance savings!
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 AM

Been here almost 6 years and have one car. We have three golf carts which is a little much BUT you should have 2 golf carts and one car.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

We've been here for two years now. We have two cars and a golf cart. For perspective, we've driven one car about 14,000 miles a year which includes at least 3 trips per year to Connecticut & Vermont. The other has been driven about 4500 miles in the same period. We have concluded that we can easily get by with one car and one golf cart. I'm still twitching though because I still want my car..must be a guy thing. My recommendation is that if you have two cars, try it out for a while. It goes without saying that you will get a golf cart.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca
Decisions, Decisions

Which one of my six cars/truck/van/suv do I keep??????

Can probably retire on just the insurance and maintenance savings!
Been kicking this around for over a year. What to do upon the move to TV?. Another 4 car garage? Too many toys. ??? : :dontknow: Guess when the time comes I'll She'll decide.

Steve
Old 06-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Gold member

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but this is a topic that is of interest to us since we may be making a purchase decision in the near future. My wife insists that we need two cars plus a golf cart - even if the cars will be lightly used. It would seem that the obvious solution is a house with 2 car garage plus a golf cart garage. However, this adds to the price and, even more importantly, significantly limits the number of houses that may be available that meet this requirement. It would seem that the obvious solution if a house without a golf cart garage wins our hearts that we just keep one of the cars outside. However, this leads to 2 questions:

First, are the golf carts maneuverable enough and/or the driveways big enough to allow them to get around a parked car in the driveway? I'd hate to think about moving a car each time we wanted to use the golf cart. We would probably be getting a Designer home, if this makes a difference in the answer.

Secondly, based on the love bug discussion, it sounds like they can do damage to car finishes. If a car is parked in the driveway, how would one avoid damage? Would it have to be washed every day during love bug season?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I'm partial to two cars, just for the "comfort" factor, but...
realistically, a golf cart will indeed replace one of my vehicles,
I can't cost justify having two based on the posts above, nor really in my mind

for what purpose, for the once a year both parties want to go separate ways outside of TV?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but this is a topic that is of interest to us since we may be making a purchase decision in the near future. My wife insists that we need two cars plus a golf cart - even if the cars will be lightly used. It would seem that the obvious solution is a house with 2 car garage plus a golf cart garage. However, this adds to the price and, even more importantly, significantly limits the number of houses that may be available that meet this requirement. It would seem that the obvious solution if a house without a golf cart garage wins our hearts that we just keep one of the cars outside. However, this leads to 2 questions:

First, are the golf carts maneuverable enough and/or the driveways big enough to allow them to get around a parked car in the driveway? I'd hate to think about moving a car each time we wanted to use the golf cart. We would probably be getting a Designer home, if this makes a difference in the answer.

Secondly, based on the love bug discussion, it sounds like they can do damage to car finishes. If a car is parked in the driveway, how would one avoid damage? Would it have to be washed every day during love bug season?
I have a designer with a 2 car garage and there is no issue getting a cart around a car parked in the driveway. We've squeezed 2 carts and a car into the garage. We have 2 cars now, but I suspect we will eventually get rid of one and have 2.

The love bugs damage cars when you drive through them and they smash against the paint, not while parked.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Another solution is two golf carts, zero cars. Rent a car when you need one.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 AM

Been in TV seven years. Decided if something happened that we needed a second car we would rent it. Never happened. We have two golf carts which are used much more then the car. Many times weeks go by without using the car.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue

My answer to you would be to get a two car garage (if you cannot find one with the added golf cart garage) and bring the two cars down and see how it works out. Depending on the size of the garage and the cars, you can put both cars in the garage and the golf cart parked laterally to one of the cars. The next door neighbor does in with an Amarillo (ranch). If you park the second car about half way down the driveway you can maneuver the golf cart around the parked car. After a period of time, decide if you still need the two cars and make the decision then. That is what I did. And I still miss the pickup but it became unnecessary and the insurance and registration costs were reduced.

As redwitch pointed out the love bugs are only problems when you are driving and they splatter into your front bumper, hood and windshield.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Actually, it was StevefromNY who clarified the lovebug question, but thanks for giving me credit.

BTW -- If you insist on killing the bugs that land on your car while it is parked, do remember to immediately clean off the gooey mess. Personally, I have great fun swatting them while they're flying. My rolled up piece of newspaper is nice and yucky after a bout of lovebug revenge.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Platinum member

We have one car and one golf cart. Using the car less and less. We use it perhaps once a week when we leave The Villages. Otherwise, always use the golf cart.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Platinum member

Indeed, gigi22, I've met long-time Villagers who have actually given up their automobile altogether! Should they need to go somewhere "off campus," they usually call on a neighbor, or, in a pinch, The Villages Taxi. When they need to go visit family up north, a neighbor takes them to the airport shuttle and picks them up when they come home!

They keep asking what all the fuss is about gas prices! :joke:
SWR
Old 06-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Gold member

Thanks for the replies. I tend to agree that one car and one golf cart makes a lot of sense. However, my wife has always dreamed of having a 2-seat sports car and wants to fulfill that dream in Florida. Obviously this would not be practical for long trips or going places with visiting friends or relatives.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:54 PM

We went down to one car and one golf cart when we moved in. After a year or so we found the need for a second golf cart. We use the two carts and just leave the car in the garage for rainy days.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.