Anybody remember enjoying paper dolls?

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Anybody remember enjoying paper dolls?

The Villages Florida
Old 02-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Sage

AND...Army jeeps?

The Villages Florida
Old 02-15-2015, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Oh my goodness yes, paper dolls - luv, luv, luv them, even to this day. I used to buy them for my granddaughters whether they wanted them or not, then play with them myself when I went to visit! I used to get very bent out of shape when their little fingers tore off the tabs that kept the clothing on the dolls - mean Nana!

In our house it was Tonka Toys - the big earth moving heavy equipment Tonka's. We had a dirt patch and a sand box filled to the brim with Tonka earth moving equipment - kept them amused for hours!

Also match box cars. Sets of them. When we moved we must have thrown out dozens of match box cars - and please do not tell me what they are worth now on Ebay!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Sage

I loved paper dolls. Remember the Betsy McCall paper dolls? My imagination soared with paper dolls.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:16 AM

Paper dolls were one of my favorite things. Are those Dorothy Lamour and Esther Williams? My poor mother had to cut them out since I was never happy with my cutting. Of course, I also wanted all of the little extras that were on the page along with clothes. Poor mom! I remember the Tillie paper dolls that were in the Sunday comic sections. My aunt would save her McCalls magazine for me.

I also adored my Madame Alexander dolls. Mom sewed extensive wardrobes for them. It's payback time since I'm now sewing for my granddaughters' American Girl dolls.

I liked Tinker Toys and roller skates, too.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Paper dolls were one of my favorite things. Are those Dorothy Lamour and Esther Williams? My poor mother had to cut them out since I was never happy with my cutting. Of course, I also wanted all of the little extras that were on the page along with clothes. Poor mom! I remember the Tillie paper dolls that were in the Sunday comic sections. My aunt would save her McCalls magazine for me.

I also adored my Madame Alexander dolls. Mom sewed extensive wardrobes for them. It's payback time since I'm now sewing for my granddaughters' American Girl dolls.

I liked Tinker Toys and roller skates, too.
YES - roller skating. Used to roller skate up and down the road and never had to worry about anyone running us over or yelling at us to get out of the street!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Am I remembering correctly? Did a book of paper dolls cost a quarter? -- all those hours of fun for a quarter. I always bought the movie stars because of their glamorous clothes.

And remember how there were always two paper dolls of the same movie star, but one looked more like her and had more glamorous clothes to wear.

When I played paper dolls with my younger sister, I always made her take the one that did not really look much like the movie star, and then, if a friend came to play, I would not let my sister play at all. -- Aw, c'mon, do not judge me. -- All you big sisters know what I am talkng about.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Am I remembering correctly? Did a book of paper dolls cost a quarter? -- all those hours of fun for a quarter. I always bought the movie stars because of their glamorous clothes.

And remember how there were always two paper dolls of the same movie star, but one looked more like her and had more glamorous clothes to wear.

When I played paper dolls with my younger sister, I always made her take the one that did not really look much like the movie star, and then, if a friend came to play, I would not let my sister play at all. -- Aw, c'mon, do not judge me. -- All you big sisters know what I am talkng about.
My older cousin did that to me, and played beauty shop on my hair. She PULLED.

But I love her now.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Villages Florida
Remember enjoying paper dolls? Nope, can't say that I do.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Eternal Member

And let's not forget colorforms !!! Those were fun because they didn't rip like the paper doll outfits.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
And let's not forget colorforms !!! Those were fun because they didn't rip like the paper doll outfits.
"iT'S MORE FUN TO PLAY. THE COLORFORMS WAY"
I don't know why I remember jingles but can't find my way home if I make a left off MicroRaceTrack.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Sage

I always played with erector sets and lincoln logs. I don't recall swallowing a single one.
I had a Daisey BB gun too when I was way too young and still have both eyes. The same with knives. For my First Holy Communion my dad gave me a Jim Bouey Knife. My mother hid that and I never could find it.

[Now that I think about it, I wonder if my Dad was trying to get rid of me?]

sorry i went off track,,,
My sister played with paper dolls---i didn't get it,,,I'm so Catholic, I wouldn't look.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I always played with erector sets and lincoln logs. I don't recall swallowing a single one.
I had a Daisey BB gun too when I was way too young and still have both eyes. The same with knives. For my First Holy Communion my dad gave me a Jim Bouey Knife. My mother hid that and I never could find it.

My sister played with paper dolls---i didn't get it,,,I'm so Catholic, I wouldn't look.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post

Sometimes, Tomwed, I just like you a lot, but sometimes I just plain love you. In a virtuous Catholic way. lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I was a seriously greedy child. I used to design clothes for my friends' paper dolls. Fifty cents for a new wardrobe. I made a fortune from Carol who always wanted new clothes for her Lennon Sister dolls. Personally, I would die before being caught actually playing with them. I was into Tonka trucks and soldiers of all eras (they all died bravely and tragically).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.