9 Family Connection Special. The Domestic Violence Crisis in Central Florida.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default 9 Family Connection Special. The Domestic Violence Crisis in Central Florida.

9 Family Connection Special - The domestic violence crisis in... | www.wftv.com

I hope that you will help with solving this problem. Watch the WFTV Vanessa Welch and Bob Opsahl Special and then get involved with this in some way. What are some solutions that you would recommend? I know there is a lot of wisdom among people on TOTV as well as Village residents.

I had pursued getting links to Victims Services resources in libraries since at least 2000 in Central Florida libraries as well as to libraries all over the US and even abroad. Gary Corsair, the Villages Daily Sun reporter, had even done an Memorial Day weekend article on my efforts with respect to Villages' area libraries back in 2007. http://www.talkofthevillages.com/for...ay-08-a-13879/

Much more can be done. Since I have 4 degrees and two of these are in areas related to law and librarianship I have always seen education and access to information as keys to solving this problem.

The video shown last night on ABC in Orlando had other solutions. Cops' solutions come from other life experiences, teachers from another, journalists probably from yet another. Then there are individual histories that come into play.

Would like to know what you think?

Write the people involved with addressing this problem if you do have a solution. I plan to add my two cents about libraries and a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory. http://myfloridalegal.com/directory Contact the libraries and Sheriff's Offices in the area about pertinent links from their respective web-sites.

Counseling and mental health links would also be very relevant IMHO.

If you do not live in Central Florida see how your Community stacks up in this area by doing various searches on victim services providers in your area and how much visibility they might have in your opinion.
  #2  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When you speak about "education" are you talking about educating the victims about services that are available to help them or about educating the cowardly brutes who beat their spouses?

If you are talking about the victims I am with you 100%. If you are talking about the cowards who beat their wives, the only "education" they need is to spend some long hard time in the slammer. They already know that what they are doing is wrong. They prosper only because they are allowed to get away with it.
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
  #3  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
When you speak about "education" are you talking about educating the victims about services that are available to help them or about educating the cowardly brutes who beat their spouses?

If you are talking about the victims I am with you 100%. If you are talking about the cowards who beat their wives, the only "education" they need is to spend some long hard time in the slammer. They already know that what they are doing is wrong. They prosper only because they are allowed to get away with it.
It is not that simplistic. A battered woman/man/child might strike back at the tormentor, then you have problems with the legal system on defining just who the "victim" is. Often, batterers are the victims of violence from their parents and/or other relatives. These people often have a lot of mental health issues to deal with as well--depression, alcoholism, drug abuse of various kinds, etc. By "these people" I mean those caught up in the cycle of violence. http://www.ncdsv.org/images/MCBW_Und...nWhoBatter.pdf
National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence http://www.ncdsv.org/ncd_newscover.html
  #4  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I guess the best thing for me to say is that we disagree.
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
  #5  
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I guess the best thing for me to say is that we disagree.
Yes. Education about why men/women/child batter is important as well as are methods to stop this abuse. Very few really effective methods IMHO involve jail time. Support groups with helping getting the battered person out of the reach of the batterer are important as are extended family.

Unless you address the cause of the violence I see that you just will have another person being battered when the person sentenced gets out of jail.

Not sure how the prison gang culture would help much of anyone get over violent tendencies.
  #6  
Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Mack184 Mack184 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My concern & sympathy is 100% with the victims. The more resources they have, the better. I have no pity for and don't believe in any excuses or squishy "understanding" for the aggressors. The only thing they deserve is severe punishment. That's all I'm going to add since to go any farther will take us into the politcal area which is forbidden by the board.
__________________
"I did not get into rock-n-roll just to pick up chicks. However..I was able to adapt". Ted Nugent
  #7  
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
My concern & sympathy is 100% with the victims. The more resources they have, the better. I have no pity for and don't believe in any excuses or squishy "understanding" for the aggressors. The only thing they deserve is severe punishment. That's all I'm going to add since to go any farther will take us into the politcal area which is forbidden by the board.
Not sure you got the point about it being hard to define "victim" in some domestic violence cases. They is usually a lot of grey areas in these matters. The Anthony case is a good one to point out grey areas. The little girl Caylee is clearly a victim in the whole tragedy but the evidence was not at all that clear about what happened within the Anthony family. I did get the impression that domestic violence was probably involved. I was not a juror in that matter so I really would not have got all of the facts that the lawyers were allowed to present. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Caylee_Anthony

I do believe that the protections provided by the US and State Constitutions in the criminal justice system are very important and could hardly be called as ending up with "squishy" results.
  #8  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default Link for that Task Force.

Orange County Domestic Violence Task Force

Do not see any way of contacting them however.

http://www.orangecountydomesticviole...org/Events.php

I did like them on Facebook and could at least put my input on there. http://www.orangecountydomesticviole...org/About.html
  #9  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default Hope some TOTVers will help with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
9 Family Connection Special - The domestic violence crisis in... | www.wftv.com

I hope that you will help with solving this problem. Watch the WFTV Vanessa Welch and Bob Opsahl Special and then get involved with this in some way. What are some solutions that you would recommend? I know there is a lot of wisdom among people on TOTV as well as Village residents.

I had pursued getting links to Victims Services resources in libraries since at least 2000 in Central Florida libraries as well as to libraries all over the US and even abroad. Gary Corsair, the Villages Daily Sun reporter, had even done an Memorial Day weekend article on my efforts with respect to Villages' area libraries back in 2007. http://www.talkofthevillages.com/for...ay-08-a-13879/

Much more can be done. Since I have 4 degrees and two of these are in areas related to law and librarianship I have always seen education and access to information as keys to solving this problem.

The video shown last night on ABC in Orlando had other solutions. Cops' solutions come from other life experiences, teachers from another, journalists probably from yet another. Then there are individual histories that come into play.

Would like to know what you think?

Write the people involved with addressing this problem if you do have a solution. I plan to add my two cents about libraries and a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory. Victim Services Directory Contact the libraries and Sheriff's Offices in the area about pertinent links from their respective web-sites.

Counseling and mental health links would also be very relevant IMHO.

If you do not live in Central Florida see how your Community stacks up in this area by doing various searches on victim services providers in your area and how much visibility they might have in your opinion.
I recently put a Facebook message on the Orange County Domestic Task Force webpage. This was about links from area county libraries as well as from police department and Sheriff webpages. Hope some other TOTVers will help with this effort. https://www.facebook.com/OCDVTF?ref=ts http://www.orangecountydomesticviole...ndex_MA7F.html http://myfloridalegal.com/directory

I will be contacting the Lake/Sumter/Marion County public libraries as well as the area County Sheriff's and PDs as well via their websites about links to the Florida Victim Services Directory http://myfloridalegal.com/directory and whatever other resource looks relevant. The more people making these kind of requests though the faster there will be a response.
  #10  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I recently put a Facebook message on the Orange County Domestic Task Force webpage. This was about links from area county libraries as well as from police department and Sheriff webpages. Hope some other TOTVers will help with this effort. https://www.facebook.com/OCDVTF?ref=ts Orange County Domestic Violence Task Force Victim Services Directory

I will be contacting the Lake/Sumter/Marion County public libraries as well as the area County Sheriff's and PDs as well via their websites about links to the Florida Victim Services Directory Victim Services Directory and whatever other resource looks relevant. The more people making these kind of requests though the faster there will be a response.
I posted something on the Facebook Lake County Library System about a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory as well as something for educating about people with mental illnesses. https://www.facebook.com/LakeCountyF...ocation=stream

Again, I hope that more TOTVers will get involved with this. Gary Corsair a reporter for the Villages Daily Sun had done an article about my attempts to get this link to the Florida Victim Services Directory back in May of 2007. Lake County Library System did have a link for the Florida Victim Services Directory at that time but it disappeared sometime after that. I had been working pro bono and actually at my expense to get links to the Florida Victim Services Directory from all kinds of FL libraries since 2000.
  #11  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default Did get a response on Facebook from the Lake County Library System Facebook person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I posted something on the Facebook Lake County Library System about a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory as well as something for educating about people with mental illnesses. https://www.facebook.com/LakeCountyF...ocation=stream

Again, I hope that more TOTVers will get involved with this. Gary Corsair a reporter for the Villages Daily Sun had done an article about my attempts to get this link to the Florida Victim Services Directory back in May of 2007. Lake County Library System did have a link for the Florida Victim Services Directory at that time but it disappeared sometime after that. I had been working pro bono and actually at my expense to get links to the Florida Victim Services Directory from all kinds of FL libraries since 2000.
https://www.facebook.com/LakeCountyF...ocation=stream

He/she passed on my suggestion. Will have to watch and see if anything happens.
  #12  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I posted something on the Facebook Lake County Library System about a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory as well as something for educating about people with mental illnesses. https://www.facebook.com/LakeCountyF...ocation=stream

Again, I hope that more TOTVers will get involved with this. Gary Corsair a reporter for the Villages Daily Sun had done an article about my attempts to get this link to the Florida Victim Services Directory back in May of 2007. Lake County Library System did have a link for the Florida Victim Services Directory at that time but it disappeared sometime after that. I had been working pro bono and actually at my expense to get links to the Florida Victim Services Directory from all kinds of FL libraries since 2000.
This is what Lake County Library System has now. Area Resources - Lake County Florida Government

If I were a survivor/victim of crime or someone looking for Lake County resources for the mentally ill, I would have a hard time using this. I would probably just use some kind of search engine like Google and hope for the best.

I looked at the some of the Lake County city websites as well as the Lake County Sheriff's website and they do not have a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory nor one that would be quickly discernible as helping those with some kind of mental illness. http://www.cityofclermontfl.com/index.asp

Lake County Sheriff's Office website-- https://www.lcso.org/
  #13  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
9 Family Connection Special - The domestic violence crisis in... | www.wftv.com

I hope that you will help with solving this problem. Watch the WFTV Vanessa Welch and Bob Opsahl Special and then get involved with this in some way. What are some solutions that you would recommend? I know there is a lot of wisdom among people on TOTV as well as Village residents.

I had pursued getting links to Victims Services resources in libraries since at least 2000 in Central Florida libraries as well as to libraries all over the US and even abroad. Gary Corsair, the Villages Daily Sun reporter, had even done an Memorial Day weekend article on my efforts with respect to Villages' area libraries back in 2007. http://www.talkofthevillages.com/for...ay-08-a-13879/

Much more can be done. Since I have 4 degrees and two of these are in areas related to law and librarianship I have always seen education and access to information as keys to solving this problem.

The video shown last night on ABC in Orlando had other solutions. Cops' solutions come from other life experiences, teachers from another, journalists probably from yet another. Then there are individual histories that come into play.

Would like to know what you think?

Write the people involved with addressing this problem if you do have a solution. I plan to add my two cents about libraries and a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory. Victim Services Directory Contact the libraries and Sheriff's Offices in the area about pertinent links from their respective web-sites.

Counseling and mental health links would also be very relevant IMHO.

If you do not live in Central Florida see how your Community stacks up in this area by doing various searches on victim services providers in your area and how much visibility they might have in your opinion.
Hope you will help with making suggestions on various local library and sheriff websites about making sure that help for the mentally ill like through groups like NAMI as well as marketing of the Florida Victim Services Directory are easily located by a user.

Sumter County Sheriff's Office, Florida

I looked at the Sumter County Sheriff's Office website today and did not find anything about the Florida Victim Services Directory nor anything about NAMI. http://www.nami.org/ Both resources that the Sheriff's Office IMHO should be actively engaged in making well known to the general public.
  #14  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default Sumter County Public Library website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Hope you will help with making suggestions on various local library and sheriff websites about making sure that help for the mentally ill like through groups like NAMI as well as marketing of the Florida Victim Services Directory are easily located by a user.

Sumter County Sheriff's Office, Florida

I looked at the Sumter County Sheriff's Office website today and did not find anything about the Florida Victim Services Directory nor anything about NAMI. NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness - Mental Health Support, Education and Advocacy Both resources that the Sheriff's Office IMHO should be actively engaged in making well known to the general public.
Sumter County, FL - Official Website - Recommended Websites

They have a lot of very useful websites on this index linked above. I hope that TOTVers with help with getting more public awareness of the Florida Victim Services Directory and mental illness support groups like NAMI. They do seem connected especially considering many people who batter their significant others have some kind of anger and/or control issues that involve certain kinds of mental illnesses.

Contact you local libraries and sheriff's offices websites about this matter. This seems like a worthwhile thing to do for other communities than the Villages and Central Florida as well. But other places will hopefully have something like the Florida Victim Services Directory.
  #15  
Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,166
Thanks: 2,487
Thanked 737 Times in 456 Posts
Default How libraries near the Villages can be relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
9 Family Connection Special - The domestic violence crisis in... | www.wftv.com

I hope that you will help with solving this problem. Watch the WFTV Vanessa Welch and Bob Opsahl Special and then get involved with this in some way. What are some solutions that you would recommend? I know there is a lot of wisdom among people on TOTV as well as Village residents.

I had pursued getting links to Victims Services resources in libraries since at least 2000 in Central Florida libraries as well as to libraries all over the US and even abroad. Gary Corsair, the Villages Daily Sun reporter, had even done an Memorial Day weekend article on my efforts with respect to Villages' area libraries back in 2007. http://www.talkofthevillages.com/for...ay-08-a-13879/

Much more can be done. Since I have 4 degrees and two of these are in areas related to law and librarianship I have always seen education and access to information as keys to solving this problem.

The video shown last night on ABC in Orlando had other solutions. Cops' solutions come from other life experiences, teachers from another, journalists probably from yet another. Then there are individual histories that come into play.

Would like to know what you think?

Write the people involved with addressing this problem if you do have a solution. I plan to add my two cents about libraries and a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory. Victim Services Directory Contact the libraries and Sheriff's Offices in the area about pertinent links from their respective web-sites.

Counseling and mental health links would also be very relevant IMHO.

If you do not live in Central Florida see how your Community stacks up in this area by doing various searches on victim services providers in your area and how much visibility they might have in your opinion.
For those concerned about the privatization of libraries, this shows what a good librarian can do by making community resources more accessible through libraries. I know that they do not seem to be doing this now but some of the libraries I have used in the past were very good at making their library a central hub at getting all kinds of information about resources available to those in their community. This was done with some style as well and made the person aware quickly of what was available.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.