Aarp

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts
Default Aarp

For years AARP has been sending me applications in the mail to get me to join up. The other day they sent me a membership application and this time with a 25% reduction in the price. I'm wondering what others think of AARP and is it worth it to be a member?

Last edited by New Englander; 03-10-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage

Ever since they supported Obama Care I dropped out and don't even open their mail now.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Ever since they supported Obama Care I dropped out and don't even open their mail now.
Same here. I never joined and I wouldn't give them a dime because they supported Obamacare.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-10-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

They offer some nice retail and restaurant discounts, but most of the time I forget to use them.

I used to have an Advantage Plan through them but don't recall if that even requires membership. I'll probably cancel it this year, now that you reminded me. :-)
Old 03-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
They offer some nice retail and restaurant discounts, but most of the time I forget to use them.

I used to have an Advantage Plan through them but don't recall if that even requires membership. I'll probably cancel it this year, now that you reminded me. :-)
You do not need to be a member of AARP to purchase the AARP advantage plan or the AARP prescription drug plan. But, you do need to be a member to purchase their Medicare supplement plan. The supplement plan is operated by United Health Care, and they pay royalties to AARP.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:49 PM

I have AAA, not interested in AARP. Discounts are about the same. I emailed them recently because they sent junk mail to my DECEASED husband, who died in 2011, and never lived at this address. It was upsetting. Can't seem to get them to stop sending junk mail!
Old 03-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Gold member

Junk mail, 5 or more pieces a week.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I think AARP is excellent...and well worth the price!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
I have AAA, not interested in AARP. Discounts are about the same. I emailed them recently because they sent junk mail to my DECEASED husband, who died in 2011, and never lived at this address. It was upsetting. Can't seem to get them to stop sending junk mail!
You can register your husband as deceased with Deceased Do Not Contact Registration to stop the junk mail.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I think AARP is excellent...and well worth the price!
I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

One of the better ways I’ve spent my money. Don’t agree with everything they support but do appreciate how they help us old folks.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-10-2019, 11:28 PM
Default AARP Alternatives - I Don't Belong to or Endorse Any of them

American Seniors Association (ASA)
Founded in 2005, ASA (originally known as the National Association for Senior Concerns) offers travel and prescription discounts. The group’s “Five Foundations” include rebuilding values of “respect and appreciation” for seniors, reforming Social Security (via a private-account solution), reforming Medicare (to include more choice), overhauling the “mountain of a mess” income-tax code, and controlling “wasteful and silly” government overspending. ASA does not report membership numbers on its website, but asserts that it is “the fastest growing seniors’ advocacy in the nation.”

Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC).
This organization, founded a decade ago, combines conservative political advocacy with a more robust benefits catalog than other groups, appealing to politically involved seniors who also want AARP-like discounts. In 2014, AMAC — then boasting 1.1 million members — boosted its membership by “hundreds of thousands” by merging with a like-minded group, Generation America.

CAP (formerly the Christian Association of Prime Timers)
Founded in 1994, CAP bills itself as “Your Christian Alternative to AARP.” It provides discount codes for products such as insurance, hotels, car rental, and some medical services. CAP says it “partners with Christian and/or distinctly conservative companies whenever possible.”

National Association of Conservative Seniors (NAOCS)
This group, founded in 2012, primarily offers travel discounts. The NAOCS has two levels of membership: “Silver” and “Gold Patriot.” The Gold Patriot membership includes a vacation voucher plus a “click to call” feature that promises to simplify the process of contacting elected officials.

The Seniors Coalition (TSC)
This organization was launched in 1989 to lobby for repeal of the short-lived Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act — an unpopular law that forced many seniors to pay for coverage they didn’t want. TSC’s website claims it is “one of the largest grassroots advocacy organizations” in Washington, D.C., “representing nearly 3 million seniors.” The group offers travel, insurance, and health-related discounts.

60 Plus Association
Founded in 1992, 60 Plus is a “nonpartisan seniors advocacy group with a free enterprise, less government, and fewer taxes view towards issues important to seniors,” according to the organization’s website. Its top legislative priorities are “ending the federal estate tax and saving Social Security for the young.” 60 Plus is focused on political advocacy only and does not offer member discounts. The group claims more than seven million members.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
You can register your husband as deceased with Deceased Do Not Contact Registration to stop the junk mail.
I did not know that, thank you!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:01 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hey, thanks.

You just reminded me to renew my AARP subscription.

I like the magazine. It is a quick read, interesting articles on topics for our place on the timeline of life: Health. The latest scams. Retirement decision-making. Features about regular older people who are accomplishing new things or dealing with big responsibilities like caregiving or job loss. And lots of other things that can be a part of aging.

The cover always has a famous senior on it. It is kind of fun to see who is right there on the timeline with us.

There is a section in every issue with a blurb about famous people who are turning 50, 60, 70, 80, etc. I do find though that now I sometimes have no idea who those 50 year-old whippersnappers are.

The bulletin keeps us informed on state and national issues that bear watching because of the possible negative effects on senior life. Good to know about these things.

AARP is one of my subscriptions. The Atlantic is the other one.
Closed Thread

Tags
aarp, wondering, price, reduction, 25%

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.