Aarp

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2022, 01:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Aarp

You may recall that, several months ago, I sought advice here on whether or not joining the AARP was worthwhile.

Opinion was split but many saw it as just a way to market other products.

Well, I benefitted from discounted car rental rates but on returning to TV after several months I found that over half of my mail was from AARP - car insurance, life insurance etc.

I have no problem throwing it in the trash, but they are certainly keeping the USPS in business.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:01 PM
Platinum member

I have always considered AARP to be an insurance company disguised as an advocacy for Seniors.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
You may recall that, several months ago, I sought advice here on whether or not joining the AARP was worthwhile.

Well, I benefitted from discounted car rental rates but on returning to TV after several months I found that over half of my mail was from AARP - car insurance, life insurance etc.

I have no problem throwing it in the trash, but they are certainly keeping the USPS in business.
Here's a hint. If you get unwanted mail solicitations (from AARP or any other source) that provides you with return envelope that you don't have to stamp, just return the application form or other material (blank, of course) and send it back. They have to pay postage on those returns and if they get enough of them, it might discourage the garbage mail.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I have always considered AARP to be an insurance company disguised as an advocacy for Seniors.
Wrong - they simply market insurance from other carriers and get compensated from those carriers. New York Life, United Healthcare, Mutual of Omaha etc.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

I haven't followed them in years, but once upon a time, they're claimed to back seniors, but supported politicians that didn't. So, I cancelled my membership and never looked back. I never found any financial justification for being a member, there are many other ways to save as much or more.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

It’s a marketing company with a boring magazine. Unless it’s free, not for me
Old 07-14-2022, 02:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
It’s a marketing company with a boring magazine. Unless it’s free, not for me
Actually I find the magazine to be very good and their bulletins are even better.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
I haven't followed them in years, but once upon a time, they're claimed to back seniors, but supported politicians that didn't. So, I cancelled my membership and never looked back. I never found any financial justification for being a member, there are many other ways to save as much or more.
agreed
Old 07-14-2022, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

I once read a legal advice article in their magazine where a 68 year old woman wanted to sell a property, but she was afraid that the Government would make her pay off her student loan. The lawyer gave her advice about how to avoid paying off the loan, instead of telling her that she is a deadbeat and to pay off the loan. I don't like AARP.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,964 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Here's a hint. If you get unwanted mail solicitations (from AARP or any other source) that provides you with return envelope that you don't have to stamp, just return the application form or other material (blank, of course) and send it back. They have to pay postage on those returns and if they get enough of them, it might discourage the garbage mail.
It keeps the trash to the energy plant fueled. I pay for trash collection whether I use it or not so when I return just doing my part to keep energy rates low as possible.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

My bulletin makes it 10 feet from mailbox to trash can. Not paid in years yet it still comes
Old 07-14-2022, 05:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I joined way back when I turned 50 for the discounts, kept the membership for a while primarily for their supplemental health insurance once I got on Medicare at age 65. Then I discovered I did not need the membership to keep the insurance so I dropped my membership as AARP was certainly not representing my interests in any other manner.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-14-2022, 05:13 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

I have gotten some good discounts on hotel rooms using them. Paid for itself many times over.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Wrong - they simply market insurance from other carriers and get compensated from those carriers. New York Life, United Healthcare, Mutual of Omaha etc.
Independent insurance agencies, which are not insurance companies either, sell insurance policies for multiple insurance companies. AARP is nothing more than an independent insurance agency.

As far as discounts at motels/hotels, most also give discounts for AAA membership, active and retired military, and federal and state government employees. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones I'm most familiar with. I've found that it doesn't matter what organization the hotel accepts it is the same percentage for all of them.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
We get our auto insurance up north for both my truck and my wife’s Honda from the Hartford/AARP and get excellent rates. Unfortunately, they won’t write a policy on our Florida car.
Closed Thread

Tags
aarp, car, months, insurance, found

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.