AC Advice

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Sage
Default AC Advice

Our AC has been struggling a bit. The maintenance folks said there were indications of a leak, but they couldn't pinpoint the location of the leak. The guy was nice enough, and we've had decent experience with the company he works for. But yet he made it sound like if they can't find the location of the leak, the only way to "fix" it is to install a whole new system.

Anybody out there have any similar situations in the past? I understand the difficulty sometimes in locating a leak, but replacing a system that may be working just fine except for the leak seems ridiculous.

Any thoughts?

And just so I can plan for a worst-case-scenario (I have no intention of replacing our system unless multiple vendors say there is no other option) about what cost might I be looking for to get a new system for a ~1500 SF home?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Will the "new" system include new refrigerant lines ? The leak may be there. I would insist upon them being replaced.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Having a similar problem right now on a client's house. Chuck Farrell came out and said the best way to go was to add more refrigerant and let the leak get a little larger. Once that happens, they can determine if it is a simple fix the leak, put in a new coil or replace the whole unit. Seemed like a reasonable solution to me. I would much rather do a temporary fix that works than repair/replace the wrong thing.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

Die can be put into the system to find a leak when a leak detector cant. The only problem there is the system would have to be pumped down and new freon put in. If the leak is in one of the coils I think I would replace that coil. You can fix it but not really.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
Die can be put into the system to find a leak when a leak detector cant. The only problem there is the system would have to be pumped down and new freon put in. If the leak is in one of the coils I think I would replace that coil. You can fix it but not really.

You are incorrect. The system does not have to be pumped down to install the dye. And even if it did, after you were done the pumped down refrigerant could be released back into the system and you would lose nothing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.