Age prejudice. How can we counter it? Is it real,or paranoia?

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2019, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,500 Times in 3,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
55 and over communities are by their very nature age discriminatory. Housing for Older Persons Act - Wikipedia The idea is to provide a peaceful and safe environment where senior citizens can live away from young whippersnappers who are so loud, stay up late, drive too fast and cause so much commotion and crime.
Yeah that was me until 2 years ago when I turned 55. I was loud, drove too fast, stayed up late, and caused commotion and crime.

Now I just drive too fast and stay up late. Maybe a little mayhem now and then. But I'm not young, dammit, and I have earned the right to say "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
Old 04-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Yeah that was me until 2 years ago when I turned 55. I was loud, drove too fast, stayed up late, and caused commotion and crime.

Now I just drive too fast and stay up late. Maybe a little mayhem now and then. But I'm not young, dammit, and I have earned the right to say "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
LOL. I can relate. I have gone from being Dennis to becoming Mr. Wilson.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-22-2019, 05:34 PM

60 may be the new 40 ,
but 9 PM is the new Midnight .
Old 04-22-2019, 06:10 PM
TOTV Moderator

The topic of this thread is Age Prejudice. Please return to that topic. Further off topic posts will be removed.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
60 may be the new 40 ,
but 9 PM is the new Midnight .

Good one!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,059 Times in 2,743 Posts

I have friends who are in their late 50's/early 60's who are very highly educated, intelligent, and experienced professionals who can't find work. One is an extremely smart mechanical engineer who is totally sick of being rejected for jobs by much younger and less experienced people. One the other hand, I went golfing last week up North, and for the first time in my life, I got the senior citizen greens fee rate, I saved $9 and rather enjoyed it. And yes, people used to call me dude, now they call me sir. I prefer dude, but I guess dudes don't have very thin gray hair?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,621 Times in 1,764 Posts

Even the movies discriminate on age. Did anyone else ever pass as a child, or try to do so, after one reached the age of having to purchase an adult ticket?

When I had reached 55, the age of being entitled to a senior discount at the movies locally, I was single and dating. I used to never ask for a senior discount on a date so I would not appear cheap or 'old'. At age 56 I had started to date a 37 year old woman who I took to the movies. She knew how old I was, at the box office teased me about it, and insisted I ask for a senior ticket, which I did. Although we only dated a couple years we remain friends and get together from time to time. When she turned 55 I took her to the movies and bought her a senior ticket! Yes, she had to show her ID to get it!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-22-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,500 Times in 3,103 Posts

I don't get carded when I buy a drink anymore, because people think I'm too old-looking to be under 21. And yet, they won't give me a senior discount at the supermarket because they say I have to be 60, and I don't look old enough to qualify.

When I applied for a desk job last year (before we knew we'd be moving to Florida), the interviewer asked me if I expected to need time off to take care of grandchildren. That one really took me by surprise. I totally didn't see that coming. The answer was no, but I felt resentful that he put me in a position where I'd have to either answer it, or explain why I refused to answer it.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Even the movies discriminate on age. Did anyone else ever pass as a child, or try to do so, after one reached the age of having to purchase an adult ticket?

When I had reached 55, the age of being entitled to a senior discount at the movies locally, I was single and dating. I used to never ask for a senior discount on a date so I would not appear cheap or 'old'. At age 56 I had started to date a 37 year old woman who I took to the movies. She knew how old I was, at the box office teased me about it, and insisted I ask for a senior ticket, which I did. Although we only dated a couple years we remain friends and get together from time to time. When she turned 55 I took her to the movies and bought her a senior ticket! Yes, she had to show her ID to get it!
The first time I went on a date to the movies, the guy that took me went to the window and said: "one adult, and one child". Being 18, I was totally offended. I ended up marrying the cheap jerk anyway. Didn't last.
I wouldn't think that here in TV, you would meet up with much age discrimination because of the demographics. (There's that word again!) Except maybe against younger people. For example, even though my hard-working daughter is a resident, she can't swim in most of the pools, because she is under 30.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
The first time I went on a date to the movies, the guy that took me went to the window and said: "one adult, and one child". Being 18, I was totally offended. I ended up marrying the cheap jerk anyway. Didn't last.
I wouldn't think that here in TV, you would meet up with much age discrimination because of the demographics. (There's that word again!) Except maybe against younger people. For example, even though my hard-working daughter is a resident, she can't swim in most of the pools, because she is under 30.
Interesting perspective...thanks for sharing.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I have not noticed any age discrimination here. People are people everywhere you go, some you like, some you don't, age has not been a factor in that for us. I do remember many many years ago when we bought our first house our neighbors were an extremely attractive older couple and I used to envy them because they were having so much fun on their side of the 6ft privacy fence, every Friday night in the summer they would have friends visit for wine and cheese while I was putting young children to bed!!!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

You ask a 19 or 20 year old and many would tell you “I can serve my country and be shot at in Iraq but can’t have a beer in this great country of ours”. I got bad news for you Son, soon you will have to be 21 in order to light up a cigarette. Discrimination? I can vaguely remember when in my State a female age 18 could drink but a male had to be 21. Discrimination? Because I was just short of 21 years of age, my mother had to actually sign for me to get married but my wife, now of over 50 years, who was barely 18 , and just graduated from H.S., could sign for herself. Over the years, we both have laughed about that! I’ve said all that to say this. Now that I’m older, I really don’t feel discriminated against - - I get discounts in many places and since I’m older I feel entitled. Isn’t this a great Country or what?
Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,059 Times in 2,743 Posts

I can't understand the logic of allowing 18 year olds to serve their country and vote, but not be able to legally drink. If you are old enough to be able to determine who our elected officials are and carry a loaded firearm, why aren't you old enough to drink? To further the point, an 18 year old committing a crime is tried as an adult. So if you are considered an adult, why can't you make the decision to drink or not? I hate double standards. To make it worse, the dominate political party in my home state up north is pushing to lower the voting age to 16?
Old 04-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Discriminate and it's other forms seem to be more used as a negative.
Much of our daily lives function with discrimination.

Refresher on the meaning of discrimination:

Discriminate | Definition of Discriminate by Merriam-Webster
Old 04-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I don't get carded when I buy a drink anymore, because people think I'm too old-looking to be under 21. And yet, they won't give me a senior discount at the supermarket because they say I have to be 60, and I don't look old enough to qualify.

When I applied for a desk job last year (before we knew we'd be moving to Florida), the interviewer asked me if I expected to need time off to take care of grandchildren. That one really took me by surprise. I totally didn't see that coming. The answer was no, but I felt resentful that he put me in a position where I'd have to either answer it, or explain why I refused to answer it.
Having performed literally hundreds and hundreds of in-person interviews in my previous life...the question you were asked was against the law.

There's a whole, long list, of questions that can't be legally asked...and that is but one of them.

It IS legal to ask if there's any reason that you might be unable to work weekends, odd shifts or during certain days of the week, but you do NOT have to explain what those reasons are...even if you were to answer 'yes.'

Not to say that the potential employer won't illegally discriminate due to your answers/non-answers, as that sadly still happens all of the time...but they have no right to ask certain questions in the first place.
Closed Thread

Tags
prejudice, age, feel, fair, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.