Age prejudice. How can we counter it? Is it real,or paranoia?

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Having performed literally hundreds and hundreds of in-person interviews in my previous life...the question you were asked was against the law.

There's a whole, long list, of questions that can't be legally asked...and that is but one of them.

It IS legal to ask if there's any reason that you might be unable to work weekends, odd shifts or during certain days of the week, but you do NOT have to explain what those reasons are...even if you were to answer 'yes.'

Not to say that the potential employer won't illegally discriminate due to your answers/non-answers, as that sadly still happens all of the time...but they have no right to ask certain questions in the first place.
Yeah that's why it threw me for a loop. I knew if I pointed out to him that it was against the law for him to ask the question, I wouldn't get the job. If I answered it "yes I'll need time off on occasion to take care of the grandkids" I wouldn't get the job. If I told him I didn't have grandkids, and it was a guy who felt it was a woman's duty to give birth to fertile, child-bearable progenies, I wouldn't get the job. If he was fishing to find out how old I was and I said "not yet" I might not get the job. No matter how I answered the question, I was risking being out of a job. And the question was illegal to ask, as you said.

That was the moment I decided I didn't want to work there. Who would want to work for someone who is either a) ignorant of the laws preventing him from asking questions like that or b) knowledgeable but willing to break the laws to get the "right" employee?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Yeah that's why it threw me for a loop. I knew if I pointed out to him that it was against the law for him to ask the question, I wouldn't get the job. If I answered it "yes I'll need time off on occasion to take care of the grandkids" I wouldn't get the job. If I told him I didn't have grandkids, and it was a guy who felt it was a woman's duty to give birth to fertile, child-bearable progenies, I wouldn't get the job. If he was fishing to find out how old I was and I said "not yet" I might not get the job. No matter how I answered the question, I was risking being out of a job. And the question was illegal to ask, as you said.

That was the moment I decided I didn't want to work there. Who would want to work for someone who is either a) ignorant of the laws preventing him from asking questions like that or b) knowledgeable but willing to break the laws to get the "right" employee?

YEP...dead on.

If they saw no problem with asking those types of illegal questions in the interview, you can guarantee they had no problems trying to short-shrift or sharpshooting employees...once you were hired.

Good move in saying 'bye-bye'...to those types of dinosaurs.

I would also bet, their turnover rate...was multiples of the average for their industry.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 AM

The most obvious forms of discrimination /prejudice are the ones advertised.

Senior discount

Ladies night

Never knew how they still get away with it.

The old woman are the ones with the money.

If anything they should pay a surcharge.[emoji16]
Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Default Prejudice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

The word is truly simple. Pre meaning before. Judice meaning judgement. In reality we are all guilty. It is a survival skill.

In your reported tale your prejudice, your assumption that they were prejudice. Made you decide you did not want to work there.
Your prejudgement may have been correct. Life is full of choices.
Other than in science fiction we never HONESTLY what would have happened it we had.

In terms of age discrimination. A shock years ago when I got a senior coffee from a zit faced kid at Mcdonalds without asking.
Who is that OLD ...... looking back at me as I shave?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I didn't think age prejudice existed when I was younger. I do not think it is prevalent but it does occur.

I don't like judging whole groups of people and dismissing them. It isn't fair based on any criteria.

Do you see and feel age prejudice in real life or on this forum? How old are you?

I can't believe it but I am 79.
I'm going to be 61 soon Mrs. Gracie. I don't know why but maybe it's the way I was dragged up. I have unending total respect for people, all of them. Until I sense without a link that they are not genuine. I use my intuition. Always have always will. Most of the time correct. Seldom wrong.

Sometimes I wonder if a sharp answer to a post that is disagreeable to someone might be answered more gently if the recipient's age was known. I wonder? Conversely is it OK for a person of advanced age to speak down to a person who is younger?

I feel no prejudice towards me at all even though I'm Calorically Challenged, Catholic, Live in The Villages or for other reasons that are private. I reject all of that because ultimately what another person feels about me is none of my business, who cares! Great question. Keep them coming!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I'm going to be 61 soon Mrs. Gracie. I don't know why but maybe it's the way I was dragged up. I have unending total respect for people, all of them. Until I sense without a link that they are not genuine. I use my intuition. Always have always will. Most of the time correct. Seldom wrong.

Sometimes I wonder if a sharp answer to a post that is disagreeable to someone might be answered more gently if the recipient's age was known. I wonder? Conversely is it OK for a person of advanced age to speak down to a person who is younger?

I feel no prejudice towards me at all even though I'm Calorically Challenged, Catholic, Live in The Villages or for other reasons that are private. I reject all of that because ultimately what another person feels about me is none of my business, who cares! Great question. Keep them coming!
Good thoughts. I do speak down to youngsters sometimes who are not my kin and try to explain the world to me. Perhaps I should listen.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Other forms of discrimination....that many seek:

Handicapped parking.
VIP lines at theme parks.
Preferred parking.....anywhere.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Sometimes, in some situations, what some folks like to refer to as "discrimination"...is actually simply common sense and "leveling the playing field."

I could even provide a plethora of links citing local case law, all the way up to THE SUPREME'S decisions, but methinks those that would benefit the most from those links...wouldn't even bother reading them.

Just glad to help.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

How did Jefferson put it: The greatest inequality is to treat unequals equally?
Old 04-23-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
How did Jefferson put it: The greatest inequality is to treat unequals equally?
Unequals….? That's one statement from Jefferson that I personally dislike...
Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage

“Unequals” in my interpretation recognizes that some of us are less able to do certain things than others, those who need wheelchairs as compared to those who don’t, the young as compared to the adults etc. the vulnerable as compared to those who are not.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:53 PM
Sage

I prefer my interpretation. I suppose one could refer to inequalities created by man, vs inequalities created by nature. One is in someone’s imagination and the other is scientific.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-23-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:28 PM
Veteran member

I find it odd when people say that their generation was better than any other, then proceed to whine when people from another generation want to have a club and not include the person that goes out of their way to insult them due to their age.
The under sixty clubs are fun because nobody is making passive aggressive jabs at them because of their age.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 AM
TOTV Moderator

The off topic discussion that has derailed this thread has been moved to its own thread, “Later in life marriage”.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Old people are all paranoid.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
prejudice, age, feel, fair, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.