Age prejudice. How can we counter it? Is it real,or paranoia?

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2019, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
It's a meme that dates back at *least* to 2008. I didn't check to see if it went back any further, I'd have to do a different type of google search for that.

Suffice it to say it would be used to attempt to apply to pretty much any generation. It's what our grandparents said to us, and probably what their grandparents said to them. Emotional tripe, mostly, a poor attempt at a guilt trip.

And certainly not true.
Thank you for making the effort to look up actual facts...it is much appreciated.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Platinum member

You can counter any kind of prejudice by being kind to everyone always.

Here's my current response to Village people who ask me, "YOU own a house here?" (Always said with a look of surprise). My reply is, "No, I own two." And I smile and move on.

Unless you are under age 55ish, I can't imagine you can answer the question of age discrimination in TV. You wouldn't be subjected to it.

It's like asking a 70 year old white male if he knows what color discrimination feels like. He has zero experience with being discriminated against based on the color of his skin.

Prejudice exists in many forms.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Unless you are under age 55ish, I can't imagine you can answer the question of age discrimination in TV. You wouldn't be subjected to it.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Over a dozen years ago friends of mine moved into a strictly age controlled 55 and over community literally the day the wife turned 55. She was a physically fit well built California blonde having a body additionally benefiting from some great plastic surgery. Older women in the community were constantly rudely confronting her, especially at the swimming pools, telling her "You do not belong here!" She felt age discrimination big time, the sort a relatively young person receives in a senior community.

After a few years they moved away. Her husband was very glad to get away as living in the community - which was her idea - depressed him; plus older widows were continually knocking on their door to badger him to change a light bulb or whatever for them.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,500 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

More older people die from automobile accidents than younger people die from automobile accidents BUT

Older people have fewer automobile accidents than youger people. It may be that they don't drive as much or they are more careful, but that is fact.

Yet in other forums here in The Villages there is constant harping on old people shouldn't drive.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

About appearance...
different cultures... in my old European country (perhaps due to few men because of a lot of historic wars) if you tried flirting with someone’s husband you’d be lucky to get away with a slap in the face from the wife. Predatory people are treated as predators. Usually though, it’s up to the spouse who is being “enticed” to handle it and it is much more effective.
The most beautiful and irresistible attribute, in my opinion, is kindness. Physical appearance is interesting, like with a puppy, but you get used to it quickly and then it becomes invisible.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
More older people die from automobile accidents than younger people die from automobile accidents BUT

Older people have fewer automobile accidents than youger people. It may be that they don't drive as much or they are more careful, but that is fact.

Yet in other forums here in The Villages there is constant harping on old people shouldn't drive.
But do seniors have fewer driving accidents per mile driven?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Smile Kudos - Age

Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
An intelligent, well thought out...and dead-on post!

It's obvious that age often affects some of us...a lot different than others.

Some become more wise and tolerant.

Some become meaner and more devious.

Some imagine slights and use any excuse...to exhibit their own prejudices.

Some decide they're tired of pretending to be nice, and by golly, are going to finally speak up about how they really feel, ignoring those societal pressures/norms which have dictated until now...that they keep it to themselves.

And some dwell, focus and are petrified that we are all mortal and...on the last few holes of life.

And sadly, some fight that horrible, irreversible and debilitating disease (to one degree or another)...of dementia/Alzheimer's.

For me, it's being thankful for each additional day and living my life so that should it end tomorrow (or during my nap today )...I'll be going out with very few regrets.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,500 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
But do seniors have fewer driving accidents per mile driven?
Could be...… and then...………

Young vs. Old: Who are the Safest Drivers? - Good2Go

As Velvet said and others. Being kind is more important that starting arguments, being negative and looking down on anyone for being different than us, no matter what the difference is.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-04-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Just a hunch, but if you were to count the number of automobile accidents that occur in the Villages you'd see those statistics change pretty significantly.

That would probably explain why some fora that are specific to the Villages, harp on old people who shouldn't drive. Get a whole bunch of old people together, make everyone who isn't old a significant minority (less than 20%), and you'll probably see a lot of old people doing a lot of stupid things, and very few younger people doing a lot of stupid things.

But that's because there just aren't a lot of younger people in that location.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Just a hunch, but if you were to count the number of automobile accidents that occur in the Villages you'd see those statistics change pretty significantly.

That would probably explain why some fora that are specific to the Villages, harp on old people who shouldn't drive. Get a whole bunch of old people together, make everyone who isn't old a significant minority (less than 20%), and you'll probably see a lot of old people doing a lot of stupid things, and very few younger people doing a lot of stupid things.

But that's because there just aren't a lot of younger people in that location.
I'm not sure it has anything to do with age. You see some really stupid driving mistakes, but I think the person driving probably always drove stupidly and people like us kept them alive all these years.

The biggest thing we notice is people jumping out in front of you from a side street when there is absolutely NOTHING behind you and they could have waited two minutes for you to go by. No commonsense, but they probably never had any commonsense to begin with. One of these days they will jump out in front of someone who has slow reflexes and that will be all she wrote.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-04-2019, 06:30 PM
TOTV Moderator

Let’s get this thread back to the original topic of age discrimination.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I sincerely feel that we old folks should allow the younger generation to guide us and stop being obstructing to there advice.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Respect always has to be earned, whether by young or old. In my native country the young, particularly university students, were often historically the leaders of change. People listened to them. Because they deserved it.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Sage

---

Last edited by Barefoot; 05-05-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
You can counter any kind of prejudice by being kind to everyone always.
Closed Thread

Tags
prejudice, age, feel, fair, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.