Age prejudice. How can we counter it? Is it real,or paranoia?

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Default I'm guilty of age discrimination!

When I as a younger man (just turned 70) I had a lot of thoughts about older people. Mostly that they knew more than me and they should be respected (until it was proven otherwise).

Did I think that older people were mentally slower and less informed about modern technology? You bet I did. Did I think they were horribly slow drivers and took too much time in any line I was in. Yep, guilty as charged. So, yes, I guess I discriminated.

But, now that I am in the latter part of my life I don't see much that affects me due to ageism.

I dislike any -ism because it does lump everyone into a homogeneous group and life doesn't work like that. Ageism must have been coined by this generation of seniors simple because they live longer and aren't afraid to speak up when something is perceived as wrong.

Nothing can prepare you for the day you look in the mirror and wonder who's the old fart staring back at you. It's already happened to me, so if others see me as an elder and have an opinion about that, then so be it; not a problem. Get in my way though, we've got a problem. LOL!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Sage
Default From someone still in the trenches of today's workforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I know that it is illegal to discriminate against a job applicant in their 50's, 60's, and 70's, but does the law really make sense? If you are trying to run a profitable business, do you want to invest in someone who is that close to retirement? There are people in their 80's and 90's with Government jobs being paid more than anyone else, who call in sick 2 or 3 days per week, and it is illegal to even ask them to retire. But, the Government can afford to pay those people. Businesses who need to make a profit cannot.
I am knocking on the door of turning 59. I hope to work full-time for another 6 years, then start collecting SS and work part-time. In today's workforce, most people in their 20's and 30's will stay at a job for 4 or 5 years tops, then move on to the next opportunity. This happens frequently at my current company and also happened at my previous company. Most millennials see what happened to their parents who worked for a company for 20+ years then were downsized in their 50's. At most companies, there is little to no loyalty shown by either the employer or the employee.

So what is the difference between hiring a qualified 30 year old who will probably stay with the company for 5 years then move on and hiring an equally qualified person in their late 50's who will probably stay for 6 or 7 years (maybe longer)?

Is it even wise for someone in their 20's to work at the same company for 20+ years? I don't know if that will happen any longer in today's economic environment. I stayed with one employer for 27 years. I don't know if that was a wise move or not, but that's water under the bridge at this point. At least I was there long enough to qualify for the parent company's pension plan before that was discontinued in 2014.

Finding a new job 4 years ago at age 55 was not easy. Even with today's very low unemployment rate, I don't imagine finding a good job with health insurance and the standard benefit package at age 59 would be a walk in the park.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers2tall View Post
I worked for a year just prior to retiring as an engineering and management recruiter aka “headhunter” and I can tell you age discrimination is an everyday thing in the business world. Even though they knew it was illegal more than a few companies would tell me not to send them any applicants over a certain age. I ignored their requests and sent them anyone who was qualified no matter how old they were. Even though it happens all the time age discrimination is almost impossible to prove in a lawsuit.
You are spot on! And thank you for sending the "mature" applicants to these employers. I guess I should not be surprised you were told not to send some compannies any applicants over a certain age...I'm guessing that age was 45, and not more than 50.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Platinum member

There is a club in T.V. called ‘Under 60.’
Why would you feel the need to have a club with age attached?
When members turn 60 they’re no longer allowed in the club.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

Sort of like kindergarten can’t get in over age 6. Why would you want to, anyways?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post

I can't help but chuckle at the irony/hypocrisy, living in a 55+ only community (yes, I understand the 20% and all that)...complaining about "age prejudice."

Everyone should think about it for a minute, it's pretty dang funny seeing some folks whining about 'others' griping about 'age ranges/ageism'...while at the same time being the epitome of one.

And since I'm 110 years old, I am ALWAYS correct due solely to the fact that I'm older, you are REQUIRED to believe me...and anything/everything I say.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Well that is a novel way of looking at things .... so you join the club because you are younger than 59 and they tell you to go when you get to 60?

Personally, I don't care one way or the other, but what do they do with you when you are too old to club with them?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-07-2019, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think the Baby Boomers also have age restrictions for people who want to join.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Well that is a novel way of looking at things .... so you join the club because you are younger than 59 and they tell you to go when you get to 60?

Personally, I don't care one way or the other, but what do they do with you when you are too old to club with them?
I've heard that they fly you up north, put you on an ice floe...then wave bye-bye.

That may change though, given that airfare is becoming more and more expensive, because they have to keep going further north...to find any ice.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I've heard that they fly you up north, put you on an ice floe...then wave bye-bye.

That may change though, given that airfare is becoming more and more expensive, because they have to keep going further north...to find any ice.

I needed a good laugh after fretting about that ol’ SNOOP.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default Prejudice-a misused term

Prejudice is understood to be a negative but we all do it all the time. The word is pre (before) judice (judgement) Heck you look out on a field loaded with mosquitoes and you judge with all those bugs the fishing will be great or you judge I don't want to be here.

With people it is exactly the same. One person has a nice smile and you are drawn to the them another is in pain, frowning etc and if you don't think you reject them.

Age prejudice-a rude shock to me at Mcdonalds. The zit faced kid behind the counter told me I wanted a senior coffee. Should have at least made me prove I was old enough. If, I had a bar perhaps the sign should say due to politically correct we card everyone.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Prejudice is understood to be a negative but we all do it all the time. The word is pre (before) judice (judgement) Heck you look out on a field loaded with mosquitoes and you judge with all those bugs the fishing will be great or you judge I don't want to be here.

With people it is exactly the same. One person has a nice smile and you are drawn to the them another is in pain, frowning etc and if you don't think you reject them.

Age prejudice-a rude shock to me at Mcdonalds. The zit faced kid behind the counter told me I wanted a senior coffee. Should have at least made me prove I was old enough. If, I had a bar perhaps the sign should say due to politically correct we card everyone.
There's a bar/music venue in New Haven (Toad's) that cards everyone. They take the law literally because they'd been raided many years ago. The actual law is that everyone must be in possession of a valid ID, not just that they be 21 or older.

So if you are 50 years old, and don't have your license on your person when ordering alcohol, you are violating the law - and so is the bar if they serve you.

The New York Ren Faire has the same policy. They don't care how old you are, or how old you look. No ID, no alcohol.
Closed Thread

Tags
prejudice, age, feel, fair, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.