AI Coming to the Nobel Price for literature... soon...

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2021, 04:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Have you coded in the AI field? I have for 40 years. I disagree, true intelligence will not be achieved as long as there is a "break" button.

Second, there is an issue of how we will know when we have achieved actual artificial intelligence, as opposed to just a deep learning algorithm. It is entirely likely that it will evolve so fast that it will escape captivity prior to us realizing it is self-aware. Most AI research today is done on air-gapped (no connection to any outside network) systems to try to prevent that. But, once the AI is self-aware and begins seriously improving itself, it will outpace any attempts we can make to contain it.
Yeah, I fiddled around with "Expert Systems" when that was the current IT fad. And then a little with neural networks, when that became cool. But obviously nothing like you. Although I ran an R&D group for while, I was basically a corporate coder in the energy industry. I got my start doing hardware maintenance back when minicomputers were the big thing. My first language was Raytheon 704 machine language.

On the subject of real AI -- we're nowhere near figuring out what causes human consciousness, so no, I don't think we are ever likely to duplicate it with transistors. But I'm certain that thoughtless arrogant geniuses who don't believe in "Break" buttons will eventually inflict humanity with a bad imitation that will cause lots of damage some day.

Like they say, to really screw things up, you need a computer.

Last edited by Blueblaze; 09-22-2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2021, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Yeah, I fiddled around with "Expert Systems" when that was the current IT fad. And then a little with neural networks, when that became cool. But obviously nothing like you. Although I ran an R&D group for while, I was basically a corporate coder in the energy industry. I got my start doing hardware maintenance back when minicomputers were the big thing. My first language was Raytheon 704 machine language.

On the subject of real AI -- we're nowhere near figuring out what causes human consciousness, so no, I don't think we are ever likely to duplicate it with transistors. But I'm certain that thoughtless arrogant geniuses who don't believe in "Break" buttons will eventually inflict humanity with a bad imitation that will cause lots of damage some day.

Like they say, to really screw things up, you need a computer.
Interesting background, I started in Mini-computers also, Modular Computer Systems. I was head of their automated test department for a while when the automated test was mostly an idea and not a reality yet.

As a consultant, I worked at Palo Verde Nuclear plant in Pheonix AZ designing software tracking systems, and right after 9/11, I worked on their fault proofing of the substation remote monitoring and control systems (congress mandated terrorist "proofing").

I hope you are wrong, but, I expect you are not.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Try this for a good explanation debunking the simulation theory.

I personally would like that to be true, but it is unlikely. Might be. We are just NPCs that an super race of aliens are playing with!

Computing a Universe Simulation - YouTube
Thanks for the link. I will take a look.

Have you seen the movie: The 13th Floor? It came out in 1999 and, although it's entertainment, it is very interesting.

The Thirteenth Floor (Trailer) - YouTube

Tags
program, youtube, gpt-3, amazing, gpt3

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.