AK-47's

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Sage
Default AK-47's

I agree with you. That IS a problem. A gun safety course before acquiring a gun should be required. I had to take such a course before I bought my first shotgun in MA some 40 years ago.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I agree with you. That IS a problem. A gun safety course before acquiring a gun should be required. I had to take such a course before I bought my first shotgun in MA some 40 years ago.
That would be a good requirement and a step forward without endangering gun owners' rights.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Sage
Default AK-47's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That would be a good requirement and a step forward without endangering gun owners' rights.
In every state I've lived in (MA, TN, MS, FL, NV, NC, GA) such a course is mandatory as part of qualifying for a concealed carry permit. However that is not necessarily the case for purchasing a gun.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Sage

There are 90 guns for every 100 Americans.
How many courses would we need so everyone safely knows how to handle a gun?
There are 320 million Americans.
How many students will be in each class?
Will the courses be free?
Will the teachers be paid?
Will the students be required to read past the third grade level?
Will the classes be bi-lingual?
Will the states pick up the tab or the federal government?
Who will manage the student records?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Sage
Default AK-47's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
There are 90 guns for every 100 Americans.
How many courses would we need so everyone safely knows how to handle a gun?
There are 320 million Americans.
How many students will be in each class?
Will the courses be free?
Will the teachers be paid?
Will the students be required to read past the third grade level?
Will the classes be bi-lingual?
Will the states pick up the tab or the federal government?
Who will manage the student records?
Tom - my son took a class that was mandatory for all male sophomores in high school. There were probably 100 males in that sophomore class. I had to pay for his participation - and it was mandatory for him to take. He received a certificate upon completion that he has retained (and he is 39).

My solution for the bilingual issue will not be popular. "If you are here, we're an English language speaking country. Your language is great as a secondary language. Learn English or leave." That was my Italian grandmother's philosophy and it's good enough for me.

My guess would be that fewer than 50% of the population owns the majority of guns, so that decreases your educational needs significantly. As far as new sales go, make sure a new purchaser has either a concealed weapon permit or a certificate proving that a gun safety course has been taken.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Tom - my son took a class that was mandatory for all male sophomores in high school. There were probably 100 males in that sophomore class. I had to pay for his participation - and it was mandatory for him to take. He received a certificate upon completion that he has retained (and he is 39).

My solution for the bilingual issue will not be popular. "If you are here, we're an English language speaking country. Your language is great as a secondary language. Learn English or leave." That was my Italian grandmother's philosophy and it's good enough for me.

My guess would be that fewer than 50% of the population owns the majority of guns, so that decreases your educational needs significantly. As far as new sales go, make sure a new purchaser has either a concealed weapon permit or a certificate proving that a gun safety course has been taken.
It's only 160 million people or less who need training minus any schools that have been training all along.
Anyone who doesn't speak English is exempt or is required to learn English before attending class and someone will be hired to enforce the rule.
All my great grandparents came through Ellis Island. By the time my grand parents came along they were assimilated too. It's very common where I came from. We lived close to Ellis Island.
I'm a retired teacher. When I started teaching we had drivers Ed and many shop, music and art classes that had to be dropped as budgets got voted down. Guess who voted them down?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
It's only 160 million people or less who need training minus any schools that have been training all along.
Anyone who doesn't speak English is exempt or is required to learn English before attending class and someone will be hired to enforce the rule.
All my great grandparents came through Ellis Island. By the time my grand parents came along they were assimilated too. It's very common where I came from. We lived close to Ellis Island.
I'm a retired teacher. When I started teaching we had drivers Ed and many shop, music and art classes that had to be dropped as budgets got voted down. Guess who voted them down?

If you are suggesting the NRA, please note I am an Endowment Life Member. I don't always do what it is suggested I do and I stick by my comments.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
In every state I've lived in (MA, TN, MS, FL, NV, NC, GA) such a course is mandatory as part of qualifying for a concealed carry permit. However that is not necessarily the case for purchasing a gun.
Actually in Florida (I do not know about other states) the training, safety, and proficency tests are NOT needed by any veteran (served at any time) and has a DD214 showing an honorable discharge.

Don't forget that many of the veterans here are Vietnam Era, Korean Era, and some WWII vets. Many have not picked up a handgun since being discharged which could be over 70 years ago! All of these veterans remember all their gun safety and could pass a proficency test? Does't matter - pay for processing and fingerprinting and you got your concealed carry permit - no waiting period for buying a gun, either.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Actually in Florida (I do not know about other states) the training, safety, and proficency tests are NOT needed by any veteran (served at any time) and has a DD214 showing an honorable discharge.

Don't forget that many of the veterans here are Vietnam Era, Korean Era, and some WWII vets. Many have not picked up a handgun since being discharged which could be over 70 years ago! All of these veterans remember all their gun safety and could pass a proficency test? Does't matter - pay for processing and fingerprinting and you got your concealed carry permit - no waiting period for buying a gun, either.

I would accept the training of a military veteran over civilian firearm training any day. Did you really mean what you just posted?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
I would accept the training of a military veteran over civilian firearm training any day. Did you really mean what you just posted?
Yes. Which part are you referring? If a veteran had a Marksman medal with an M-1 in 1952, had not picked up a gun since 1955, has an Honorable Discharge, he can pay fingerprint and processing fee (around $125) and get the Concealed Carry permit.

I would rather see everyone take the gun safety course (paid for by themself) and shooting proficiency test before getting a Carry permit and gun. Perhaps the gun safety course and shooting test will be done by certified NRA instructors but would be certified under any conditions.

If I had the choice of letting the Korean War Vet (described above) or a 30 year old who just had the course and proficiency test get a permit - it would be the young person.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you are suggesting the NRA, please note I am an Endowment Life Member. I don't always do what it is suggested I do and I stick by my comments.
I'm not suggesting the NRA. I don't know the first thing about the NRA except that they have a lobby. I don't know what an Endowment Life Member is. It's none of my business.

I'm just asking who, what, when and where questions.

I think you are not seeing me as I am.
Like the Lady G I am quite comfortable with gun owners in The Villages. They have a lifetime of experiences handling weapons.

When I lived in Newark, I was a little more than worried.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Absolutely right, as usual, Gracie.
However, an AK-47 is a very unwieldy weapon for home defense. Most would pick a pistol instead of a bulky weapon such like the AK-47. The AK would be more likely to be taken away by an intruder and turned on the owner than a pistol, too. (how many Wyatt Earps are going to say they would shoot first and ask questions later?)
What, whaaaaaat, I disagree. If you must have a firearm for home protection then a pistol grip pump action shotgun with an open choke is you best choice. It won't go through your wall and kill your neighbor when you miss your target like a rifle or hand gun will.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm not suggesting the NRA. I don't know the first thing about the NRA except that they have a lobby. I don't know what an Endowment Life Member is. It's none of my business.

I'm just asking who, what, when and where questions.

I think you are not seeing me as I am.
Like the Lady G I am quite comfortable with gun owners in The Villages. They have a lifetime of experiences handling weapons.

When I lived in Newark, I was a little more than worried.
And I was worried as a visitor to Newark. I apologize.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
What, whaaaaaat, I disagree. If you must have a firearm for home protection then a pistol grip pump action shotgun with an open choke is you best choice. It won't go through your wall and kill your neighbor when you miss your target like a rifle or hand gun will.
Finally, someone who knows the topic. I have many current and former FBI friends. The majority use and recommend pump action shotguns for home defense. The sound of shotgun being racked is enough to scare off many would be thugs.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRichm369 View Post
A civilian version of an AK 47 is no more dangerous than any other rifle of similar caliber, same hold true for AR 15s. So first and foremost all firearms need to be secured, I own several guns and none of them have ever jumped out of my gun safe and fired a shot at anyone or any thing.
If you keep your firearms in a safe, I guess you don't have them for home defense.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.