Alec Baldwin in lose/lose situation!

Old 10-24-2021, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,247 Times in 4,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMHisle View Post
You have a responsibility to learn about guns from someone with competent knowledge on them, otherwise you don't pick them up.

If you are handed a firearm and told it is loaded with blanks, you personally have to check it right then and there. If you pull the trigger and it harms someone, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.
Correct...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-24-2021, 05:58 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
You are incorrect in this case. I love all you non film business people chiming in with absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Lololoolol
Thank You Mr. Clueless.
Hollywood thinks they have their own laws.

When someone puts a gun in their hands and fires it, it is their responsibility.
Read the law, there is no Hollywood exemption.

I don't care who he voted for..................actually, none of us know who he actually voted for.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,247 Times in 4,282 Posts

It's nice to see that all of the Covid Virologists are also experts in firearms/armorers...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-24-2021, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Sorry but you have no idea how productions work. There is no actor who would check the gun. They have people for that. He is not even a grain of sand size responsible. It’s the 1st AD and the Armorer. PERIOD.
I do not see any actor checking weapons.

However, he would need to be questioned about what he had heard about gun safety or the lack of it on the set of this movie.

I am pretty sure that the lawyers will get into this.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Thank You Mr. Clueless.
Hollywood thinks they have their own laws.

When someone puts a gun in their hands and fires it, it is their responsibility.
Read the law, there is no Hollywood exemption.

I don't care who he voted for..................actually, none of us know who he actually voted for.
That would be Ms Clueless to you! Yes women can direct films and tv too. I don’t care who anyone voted for. But Alec Baldwin 100% has no responsibility for this. When I directed Tom on Blue Bloods, nobody discussed politics.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:07 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,597 Times in 1,760 Posts

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.—A crew member says she has raised safety concerns in the past about the assistant director who authorities say unwittingly handed actor Alec Baldwin the prop gun that killed a cinematographer on a film set.

Maggie Goll, a prop maker and licensed pyrotechnician, said in a statement that she filed an internal complaint with the executive producers of Hulu’s “Into the Dark” series in 2019 over concerns about assistant director Dave Halls’ behavior on set. Goll said in a phone interview Sunday that Halls disregarded safety protocols for weapons and pyrotechnics and tried to continue filming after the supervising pyrotechnician lost consciousness on set.

Halls has not returned phone calls and email messages seeking comment.

This week’s fatal shooting and some of her previous experiences point to larger safety issues that need to be addressed, Goll said, adding that crew member safety and wellbeing are top issues in ongoing contract negotiations between a union that represents film and TV workers and a major producers’ group.

Goll said it should not have happened because there are “so many steps that you have to go through … that the possibility of it even getting there should be impossible.”

Actor Ray Liotta agreed that the checks on firearms are usually extensive.

“They always—that I know of—they check it so you can see,” Liotta said in an interview Sunday at the Newport Beach Film Festival. “They give it to the person you’re pointing the gun at, they do it to the producer, they show whoever is there that it doesn’t work.”

Rust Movie Productions has not answered repeated emails seeking comment.

From: Assistant Director Who Gave Alec Baldwin Prop Gun Subject to Prior Complaint

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-24-2021, 06:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,597 Times in 1,760 Posts

Whatever the outcome I hope and pray Tamalewood which is what New Mexicans call filming in New Mexico, will not take a hit.

Many Hollywood studios are moving to New Mexico to take advantage of tax breaks. ... Despite the pandemic, 26 film and 24 television projects have been produced in the state, according to New Mexico's Economic Development Department.Jul 22, 2021

Hollywood leaving California for New Mexico tax incentives | Fox Business

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-24-2021, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I do not see any actor checking weapons.

However, he would need to be questioned about what he had heard about gun safety or the lack of it on the set of this movie.

I am pretty sure that the lawyers will get into this.
The issue is the 1st AD, who is in charge of safety on the set and also should never be handing out a gun, gave it to him and said cold gun. The armorer told him the guns were cold. He shouldn’t have taken her word but the actor has to be able to fully trust the first AD. That’s who dropped the ball here and whoever hired the inexperienced armorer. IF, it had been a hot weapon, they have what’s called a safety meeting and the entire crew has to be there to hear what to do in case anything happens. They make all the crew stand outside the danger zone, put plexiglass in front of the cameras and check all the gun chambers. Since this was a “cold” gun, none of this was done. Again, how can the 1st AD not be blamed. He did so many things wrong. I certainly am not defending Alec Baldwin. I hear he’s not the nicest to work with but I don’t know for sure. Regardless, he’s just not at fault. You can use 1/4 loads( which is always what I’ve used when shooting) 1/2 or full loads.

Last edited by Kelevision; 10-24-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
It's nice to see that all of the Covid Virologists are also experts in firearms/armorers...
Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Whatever the outcome I hope and pray Tamalewood which is what New Mexicans call filming in New Mexico, will not take a hit.

Many Hollywood studios are moving to New Mexico to take advantage of tax breaks. ... Despite the pandemic, 26 film and 24 television projects have been produced in the state, according to New Mexico's Economic Development Department.Jul 22, 2021

It will simply because the crew person who failed to do their job was local NM. The argument will be the quality/unqualified crew in NM so more will go back to LA. I also think there’s a problem with rush training these locals. There was an accident in Atlanta years back with a friend of mine getting killed on a train track. Though, that was the directors fault and he did go to jail.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.—A crew member says she has raised safety concerns in the past about the assistant director who authorities say unwittingly handed actor Alec Baldwin the prop gun that killed a cinematographer on a film set.

Maggie Goll, a prop maker and licensed pyrotechnician, said in a statement that she filed an internal complaint with the executive producers of Hulu’s “Into the Dark” series in 2019 over concerns about assistant director Dave Halls’ behavior on set. Goll said in a phone interview Sunday that Halls disregarded safety protocols for weapons and pyrotechnics and tried to continue filming after the supervising pyrotechnician lost consciousness on set.

Halls has not returned phone calls and email messages seeking comment.

This week’s fatal shooting and some of her previous experiences point to larger safety issues that need to be addressed, Goll said, adding that crew member safety and wellbeing are top issues in ongoing contract negotiations between a union that represents film and TV workers and a major producers’ group.

Goll said it should not have happened because there are “so many steps that you have to go through … that the possibility of it even getting there should be impossible.”

Actor Ray Liotta agreed that the checks on firearms are usually extensive.

“They always—that I know of—they check it so you can see,” Liotta said in an interview Sunday at the Newport Beach Film Festival. “They give it to the person you’re pointing the gun at, they do it to the producer, they show whoever is there that it doesn’t work.”

Rust Movie Productions has not answered repeated emails seeking comment.

From: Assistant Director Who Gave Alec Baldwin Prop Gun Subject to Prior Complaint
This is 100% accurate.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My basic rule when handling a gun was never keep it loaded unless you are hunting with it and always treat it as if it were loaded.

On another subject. If they were going for a sequence where a loaded pistol is fired at the audience then the bullets in the weapon would have to appear real to the audience. Especially if a real close up was involved.
My basic rule is to always keep my gun loaded. That way I never have to guess. Rule #1 - Always keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction unless you plan on shooting someone. Rule #2 - Treat all firearms as if they were loaded. Pretty simple stuff.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-24-2021, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

/////
Old 10-24-2021, 08:56 PM

Lots of people in this thread who should never be allowed near a firearm.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:

New Mexico is quite a beautiful state with a lot of gorgeous scenery. I hope the state can retain the movie industry there.

Tags
gun, terrible, tragedy, alec, safety

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.