ALF's - Where Do You Start?

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Default ALF's - Where Do You Start?

My wife's mother and her step-father need an ALF. That is not in doubt. But how to go about the initial steps of research and related matters is very uncertain and new to the parties involved. Help with exploring possible facilities and coordination of appropriate and required family member communications is needed.

If you have any experience or knowledge regarding the initial stages of such matters, please post. I'm thinking the first steps might even involve some sort of consultant or advisor who could help us, for a fee of course.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:32 PM
John41

Usnews has rated assisted living facilities. The state also has a website. There is an agency for elderly people. You have to see if they accept medicaid and medicare. Also will the ALF allow outside aids to assist your parents. This is very important as some do not and care can be very expensive and substandard. My sister in law who works in the field has seen some very bad examples of health care. There are a lot of assisted living facilities in the Leesburg area.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
My wife's mother and her step-father need an ALF. That is not in doubt. But how to go about the initial steps of research and related matters is very uncertain and new to the parties involved. Help with exploring possible facilities and coordination of appropriate and required family member communications is needed.

If you have any experience or knowledge regarding the initial stages of such matters, please post. I'm thinking the first steps might even involve some sort of consultant or advisor who could help us, for a fee of course.

Thanks.
I don't think you need an advisor. I would start by visiting the assisted living facilities in The Villages and talk to the residents. Typically, assisted living facilities will not be covered by either Medicare or Medicaid, although some may have a few rooms available under Medicaid.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:52 PM

Quick update...while The Villages area is a slight possibility, the most likely area for an ALF will be the northern Tampa area...New Tampa, Temple Terrace, and nearby areas.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:00 PM

I sent you a PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:38 AM

Things are different in time of covid as you may not be allowed to visit facilities. My first step with Dad, who is quite content at Buffalo Crossings was to look online. I then visited every ALF facility in The Villages. The agreement was if he was going to stay here then it would be where he could still have his golf cart. My son and daughter in law visited ones in the NYC area ( where we live) and I was the ones they thought best. I took Dad to see my top 3 and let him make choice. After first visit I learned to shade the price (quite common I have been told).

Due to current circumstances things are different. My understanding is no/restricted visits. Dad's facility opened for visits (by appt only) on 9/28 I made arrangements to fly down on 10/5 and appts for 10/6 and 10/7. A resident (first time positive in a resident) tested positive all visits halted. All staff are tested every 2 weeks. I ended up knocking on dad's window and waving.

You won't get to see how things are normally because these are not normal times. Dad's place was always lively with plenty of activity which for the most part has stopped. After this round of resident testing with 1 additional positive resident. They are again allowed to socialize outside with social distancing. It is probably easier as a couple as they would be allowed to dine together, etc.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the input so far. I have an unfortunate update...my wife's step-father has died. Obviously we need to address my wife's mother's situation as soon as possible. Will visit ALF's of course, but I would still like to contact a consultant (or whatever the proper term might be) who could advise regarding all the related issues.

I'd still really appreciate additional input as the urgency has been increased.

Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:57 PM
Veteran member

Are you still looking at ALs in the Tampa area? I'm unaware of consultants that would help with something like this. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, I'm just personally not aware of any.

I think you need to try to find a place that is open and taking new patients. Maybe list the areas that your MIL needs help with and any medical insurance or longterm care insurance that she might have. Write down questions you might have. Ex: does the AL provide transportation to/from doctors appts, would she have a private or semi private room, ratio of staff to patient, how are meals handled and any other questions that you might have. I'm sure there are a bunch more that I am not thinking of.

Sometimes the ALs give virtual tours if you can not actually visit the facilities yourself. I wish you luck, I know that this is stressful. Even if your MIL isn't moving to an AL in TV, it might still be helpful for you to schedule a tour of one or two locally just to get a feel for what you are looking for.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post

Thanks.
Sorry for your loss.
Hope things will get on an even-keel for the widow and all families
l
My first step would be to contact an attorney.
Perhaps you already have.

.... KATHRYN LINN at 352-633-1263
.................would be my "go to" Attorney...

Even if you are not near The Villages, call her anyway....

She will direct you to the correct sources and
help you decide the steps necessary to meet this need.
She will ease the burden and stress.

She does Estate and Probate and Tax Plan
and can handle ALL necessary Documents.

In my humble opinion..
......She is honest and sincere
............and reasonably priced.

Last edited by mrfixit; 12-02-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:35 AM
Default "A Place For Mom" website https://www.aplaceformom.com/

Great starting place is "A Place For Mom"
Find Assisted Living, Memory Care and Senior Living | A Place for Mom
Old 12-02-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
I, personally, didn't find them helpful. I had done research prior to contacting them, the consultant was nice and friendly but couldn't answer many of my questions. However, if you are starting from scratch and in a time crunch this may be the way to start.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

Check out the various AL management companies in TV. For instance, KR Management runs Buffalo Crossings, as well as, other facilities in the state, including a facility in St Petersburg, FL.

Also, don't sign anything until you consult with a lawyer.

Last edited by Gulfcoast; 12-04-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
...Also, don't sign anything until you consult with a lawyer.
Why is that?
Old 12-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Why is that?
I'm not a lawyer but AL is not inexpensive so I would be careful signing anything until POA is updated and whatnot.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:03 PM

I haven't seen this response, but seek out an advocate. May be a elder advocate, patient advocate, health advocate. A variety of names. These are people who will help guide and assist you through the various issues of assisted living and nursing home decisions. You need someone on your side to better understand the terminology and avoid the pitfalls of the industry.

Patient Advocacy: When You Need Someone to Go to Bat for Your Senior
Closed Thread

Tags
initial, steps, matters, experience, knowledge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.