Am i legally obligated to pay property taxes missed by the title co.?

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2020, 02:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleW1962 View Post
You are responsible for payment of any taxes that were assessed during the time you were the owner up until the closing date. Any amount due should have been prorated as of the closing date. Your post says you sold in Maine (which I assume is where the unpaid tax issue lies) but then you mention a lien on property in the Villages. Liens for unpaid taxes follow the property and cannot be transferred to other property especially property in another state. I assume you did sign a document that said something close to inadvertent errors happen but you will take steps to correct them. It is a processor or closing agent's nightmare when errors occur and they have to reach out after a closing to either collect additional funds or have documents re-signed. You should ask the closing agent or whoever is requesting funds what the time period is that is due and also make sure that you were given credit (pro-ration) for days you were not the owner. A prior post mentioned title insurance - title insurance only insures any defects in the title and the chain of ownership - this will not apply in this matter. It is an unfortunate oversight or omission. You don't need to contact any attorney - just deal with the title company (In Maine a lot of law firms act as closing agents) or law office and make sure you understand the amount you are being asked to pay. My source of this information - I have been a paralegal in Maine since 1984 and have handled close to 3000 closings (I later was a foreclosure paralegal and foreclosed on the people I helped close). I hate to admit it but I have actually had to make these types of calls myself. Please let me know if I can explain myself further. Signed - a Mainer now but headed to my beloved home in Monarch Grove by January 1, 2021!
The OP can read this post and know the answer to their question. Thank you for your knowledgeable post and an early Welcome to The Villages!!!
Old 05-14-2020, 06:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleW1962 View Post
You are responsible for payment of any taxes that were assessed during the time you were the owner up until the closing date. Any amount due should have been prorated as of the closing date. Your post says you sold in Maine (which I assume is where the unpaid tax issue lies) but then you mention a lien on property in the Villages. Liens for unpaid taxes follow the property and cannot be transferred to other property especially property in another state. I assume you did sign a document that said something close to inadvertent errors happen but you will take steps to correct them. It is a processor or closing agent's nightmare when errors occur and they have to reach out after a closing to either collect additional funds or have documents re-signed. You should ask the closing agent or whoever is requesting funds what the time period is that is due and also make sure that you were given credit (pro-ration) for days you were not the owner. A prior post mentioned title insurance - title insurance only insures any defects in the title and the chain of ownership - this will not apply in this matter. It is an unfortunate oversight or omission. You don't need to contact any attorney - just deal with the title company (In Maine a lot of law firms act as closing agents) or law office and make sure you understand the amount you are being asked to pay. My source of this information - I have been a paralegal in Maine since 1984 and have handled close to 3000 closings (I later was a foreclosure paralegal and foreclosed on the people I helped close). I hate to admit it but I have actually had to make these types of calls myself. Please let me know if I can explain myself further. Signed - a Mainer now but headed to my beloved home in Monarch Grove by January 1, 2021!
Gayle, thank you for a very clear, and well-crafted post. Best wishes for your upcoming move to TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, property, title, obligated, taxes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.