Am I the only one?

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talktome View Post
I agree he's annoying however what about all these stupid ads on this site? Anyway to get rid of them so that I can read the articles only and not get " attacked" by all this stuff like especially the guy selling reverse mortgages! How does he get away with it? Ugh!
Reverse mortgage guy seems to be gone for a bit. Hoping he stays gone.

Thankfully we can scroll past stuff we are not interested in.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
I hit the Mute button as soon as he comes on! Sick of him!
This is why we DVR everything we watch so we can go right past all the commercials
Old 04-13-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1bulldog View Post
I thought new enrollment time was October to December. What happened to that policy? Commercials and annoying phone calls happen all year long now.

Maybe when running ads all year they're targeting those just turning 65 who will become eligible for Medicare & enrollment in a supplementary plan the first month they reach age 65, no matter what month of the year it is.

I get a kick out of Broadway Joe's amateurish and corny over-the-top delivery, and feel some nostalgia regarding what a strapping and swaggering young man he used to be. Though since the stigma of career desperation for celebrities (even current big names) doing commercials seems to have vanished, I feel a bit sorry for the regular up-and-coming actors who used to get those parts.

Off topic a bit, but the one that infuriates me is for the Capital One credit card ("What's in your wallet?"), currently featuring Samuel L. Jackson or Jennifer Garner. I can only assume these celebs are clueless that this company lures primarily low-income folks (often with poor credit ratings) with repeated mailing of introductory offers (it can be hard to resist $ that can buy a new mattress for your child, for example) and ropes them into what often becomes a high-interest trap of lifetime debt.

Since he's been doing these commercials longer than anyone and appeals to all generations, I'd LOVE to see Samuel L. Jackson look into this company's practices and then present some PSAs warning uninformed young folks about the dangers of credit card debt, and encouraging practical ways to avoid that trap.

I can see the concern with the Tom Selleck commercial; for whatever reason (mature good looks & resonant voice, eye-contact/confidence, maybe his "Blue Bloods" role) he projects an air of integrity and is a "senior" himself, so his presenting something as good for seniors may inspire an inclination-to-trust similar to that of a commercial featuring Dr. Oz promoting a health product.

Last edited by D.Bolen; 04-13-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
There are some Medicare Advantage programs that SO get you that “$148.00” payment from SS that pays for Medicare. Some even get you money every month to use for OTC pharmacy products.

The commercial that upsets me whenever I see it is the one for Reverse Mortgages by Tom Seleck. There is only a very small percentage of Seniors that a reverse mortgage would be good for, but he pushes it for everyone who wants “extra money”, and yes Tom, it IS a plan to take your house for a small percentage of what it’s worth.
Agree, I always found the Tom Selleck ad to be obnoxious. Very few TV ads are interesting.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Reverse mortgage guy seems to be gone for a bit. Hoping he stays gone.

Thankfully we can scroll past stuff we are not interested in.
like the reverse mortgage guy, there are some people who feel they have to add their opinion to everything said
Old 04-13-2021, 08:57 AM

I have a friend who’s wife works in the billing department for a hospital . She say most of the complaints are from people with
Medicare advantage plans .
Old 04-13-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
Namath (and others) are hawking Medicare Advantage (aka MA) plans - private insurance plans that are alternatives to standard Medicare and Medicare Gap plans. MA plans are traditionally much cheaper - sometimes with a $0 premium - than traditional plans. Sometimes they offer free gym plans, like the Silver Sneaker plan. Sometimes they have offerings with dental and some hearing aid coverage. The MA plans come with "Plan D" prescription coverage built in.

The downsides? There could be lots of out-of-pocket costs for some services. My late mom was talked into switching from a Medicare/Medicare Gap plan to a MA plan by her doctor's office in TV. She ended up having to go to the hospital as an in-patient several times one year. Her MA plan only covered in-patient care after the third day you were there. That's lots of $$ to pay when you have separate in-patient hospital visits. Her MA plan was regional, and her doctors had to be part of that plan. Some plans require your doctors to act like HMO doctors, where they need to refer you for care you want/need.

Make no mistake about it - lots - millions - of people opt for these MA plans because of their low initial costs. If you're healthy, they're a great deal. When you're sick and need serious care, you could be in a for a financial shock. I would never go for one of these MA plans after what my Mom went through. But lots of people are happy with them.
Yes, forget Medicare Advantage plans. But, remember Broadway Joe for the good football player that he was!
Old 04-13-2021, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Tired of seeing the sleazy Medicare help line commercial with joe Namath? Especially the end where he’s say it free. Bating IMO

Medicare Coverage Helpline | Truth In Advertising

Just seen another one, go Medicare noticed the free, free, and the big lie 148 dollars back on you SS.
Sounds like the guy selling windows, “call now “
Old 04-13-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

There is actually a science and an industry devoted to this. We like to think we are immune to advertising-we are not. I fast forward commercials. Yet, I must admit, I watch to see when I've passed the commercials and have seen them all so many times it is like a booster shot from the hated by me Gecko or..........

Joe Namath is well known. Surely, he is represented by an agent. If, you want Joe it will cost you $$$$$. I can offer you Tiger Woods for ??????? A pretty girl for ????????? A cute kid for ?????????? A puppy for ??????????? For today, if, you act quickly you can get an unknown Villager real cheap.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:22 AM

Two of you have referred to him as "the man." Don't you remember way back when he did the commercial for pantyhose? And did everyone go out and buy pantyhose?
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
This is why we DVR everything we watch so we can go right past all the commercials
My wife is NOT bothered in the least by TV commercials. She must be more "mentally tough" than I am, she just tunes them out somehow. Women have an inherent ability to multitask. I would think that ability would make TV commercials HARDER to tune out, but I guess they can do both. I am better at tuning her out than the TV ads. What REALLY bothers me about the TV ads is that the stations jack up the volume during those ads. A few years ago Congress passed a law to prevent that increase in volume during commercials. Somehow (?) the TV stations and advertisers got around that law and it was never implemented. Too bad, so sad.

I always wondered if some bright electronic engineer would design a product that would SENSE the volume increase of the ads and then mute them or if recorded, fast-forward out of them. Maybe someone did, but the Television Industry would just buy them out to stop them. Also, I imagine that the Television Industry could create counter-measures to prevent muting and fast-forwarding if too many people did it.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 AM

Add Liberty Mutual ads to that annoyance list!
Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bolen View Post
Maybe when running ads all year they're targeting those just turning 65 who will become eligible for Medicare & enrollment in a supplementary plan the first month they reach age 65, no matter what month of the year it is.

I get a kick out of Broadway Joe's amateurish and corny over-the-top delivery, and feel some nostalgia regarding what a strapping and swaggering young man he used to be. Though since the stigma of career desperation for celebrities (even current big names) doing commercials seems to have vanished, I feel a bit sorry for the regular up-and-coming actors who used to get those parts.

Off topic a bit, but the one that infuriates me is for the Capital One credit card ("What's in your wallet?"), currently featuring Samuel L. Jackson or Jennifer Garner. I can only assume these celebs are clueless that this company lures primarily low-income folks (often with poor credit ratings) with repeated mailing of introductory offers (it can be hard to resist $ that can buy a new mattress for your child, for example) and ropes them into what often becomes a high-interest trap of lifetime debt.

Since he's been doing these commercials longer than anyone and appeals to all generations, I'd LOVE to see Samuel L. Jackson look into this company's practices and then present some PSAs warning uninformed young folks about the dangers of credit card debt, and encouraging practical ways to avoid that trap.

I can see the concern with the Tom Selleck commercial; for whatever reason (mature good looks & resonant voice, eye-contact/confidence, maybe his "Blue Bloods" role) he projects an air of integrity and is a "senior" himself, so his presenting something as good for seniors may inspire an inclination-to-trust similar to that of a commercial featuring Dr. Oz promoting a health product.
That was a GOOD post! And a very good warning about the danger of credit card abuse. Some middle-class people in my own family got themselves in debt trouble by overusing credit cards. So, I have seen the problem and it can get UGLY. For lower-income citizens, it would be a terrible trap.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:08 AM

He’s sickening to watch. These Medicare commercials are lies. Namath made millions. If he spent all his cash, too bad. Didn’t like him in football. Revolting to watch him peddle insurance.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:33 AM
Default back around 1968

I saw him in on the street in a fur coat. Quite a shock to see him as an oldster selling to oldsters
Closed Thread

Tags
free, medicare, noticed, imo, lie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.