Amazon Delivery

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2020, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Amazon Delivery

I was out this morning. When I got home I had an email from Amazon telling me my package had been delivered and would I care to comment on delivery. Along with the comments on delivery there was a photo of my front door with the Amazon package tucked into a corner behind a chair on the front patio.

I am constantly hearing politicians talking about splitting up the giant companies like Amazon, but when you get this type of service what right does anyone have to break up such a company. I know all the arguments about them putting the Mom and Pop stores on the high street out of business and I fully understand that, my own Father had a high street store when I was growing up, so I know what it would have meant to him to have had an Amazon in those days. But, as a buyer, I LOVE Amazon and all their high tech improvements in buying and shipping.

What do you think?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Same could be said for WalMart, I would think. So long as Amazon continues to perform/deliver as they have to date, I see no reason to “break them up.” And, how would they approach that? They should leave well enough alone.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Same could be said for WalMart, I would think. So long as Amazon continues to perform/deliver as they have to date, I see no reason to “break them up.” And, how would they approach that? They should leave well enough alone.
But, unfortunately, Politicians cannot leave anything alone. If they were to be broken up I believe Bezoz would just break his company up into separate companies, and, because he is so far ahead of the game now, he would still come out on top.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-27-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

I agree that Amazon provides a great and reliable service. But, there are Federal antitrust laws that are designed to allow free competition. I have noticed that, no matter what product you want to buy, it is almost always available on Amazon. I will often see a television commercial that promotes a website where you can buy the product. But, usually, you can buy the exact same product on Amazon, sometimes for a lower price. This means that the maker of the product can only compete by paying a fee to Amazon because they can't get enough customers to use their website. (One example is chewy.com for pet supplies). I don't have the answer, but, if you want to sell a product online, you almost have to share your profit with Amazon to be successful.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Amazon kind of lives at our house. If it’s $$$ they deliver to my car. Can’t get better than that.

On a more important note. FedEx, and UPS drivers exceed the speed, will gun it as a golf cart is merging to get ahead. It’s an everyday experience.

However Amazon seems to be very observant with speed limit, will let others merge, they deserve a job well done one delivery’s.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:00 PM
Veteran member
Default Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree that Amazon provides a great and reliable service. But, there are Federal antitrust laws that are designed to allow free competition. I have noticed that, no matter what product you want to buy, it is almost always available on Amazon. I will often see a television commercial that promotes a website where you can buy the product. But, usually, you can buy the exact same product on Amazon, sometimes for a lower price. This means that the maker of the product can only compete by paying a fee to Amazon because they can't get enough customers to use their website. (One example is chewy.com for pet supplies). I don't have the answer, but, if you want to sell a product online, you almost have to share your profit with Amazon to be successful.

I don't believe online retailers are under Amazon's thumb. No matter who they ship with, they have to pay for it, and the cost is passed on to the buyer -- us. It's cheaper for us to buy from merchants face to face and not pay for shipping, but we like the convenience of online shopping. I sometimes wonder what mail service would be like if Amazon ran the U.S. Postal Service. In fact, Amazon is already helping to keep USPS alive by using it for some deliveries. Let's not rush to throttle companies that know what they are doing because other companies whine. Remember the Bell System?
Old 02-27-2020, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I don't believe online retailers are under Amazon's thumb. No matter who they ship with, they have to pay for it, and the cost is passed on to the buyer -- us. It's cheaper for us to buy from merchants face to face and not pay for shipping, but we like the convenience of online shopping. I sometimes wonder what mail service would be like if Amazon ran the U.S. Postal Service. In fact, Amazon is already helping to keep USPS alive by using it for some deliveries. Let's not rush to throttle companies that know what they are doing because other companies whine. Remember the Bell System?
I would point out that, when you have your product listed on Amazon, you are not just paying to ship it. You are sharing part of your business with Amazon. It is not merely a shipping company. In fact, a lot of products sold on Amazon are not even shipped by Amazon. They are shipped by the manufacturer.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 02-27-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 PM

Great company providing great service. Can not wait for the Amazon Internet to put some other over priced companies out of business.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 02-27-2020, 05:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I was out this morning. When I got home I had an email from Amazon telling me my package had been delivered and would I care to comment on delivery. Along with the comments on delivery there was a photo of my front door with the Amazon package tucked into a corner behind a chair on the front patio.

I am constantly hearing politicians talking about splitting up the giant companies like Amazon, but when you get this type of service what right does anyone have to break up such a company. I know all the arguments about them putting the Mom and Pop stores on the high street out of business and I fully understand that, my own Father had a high street store when I was growing up, so I know what it would have meant to him to have had an Amazon in those days. But, as a buyer, I LOVE Amazon and all their high tech improvements in buying and shipping.

What do you think?
I shop Amazon regularly and feel the same way you do.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:49 AM

What does high street mean?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:14 AM

I use Amazon a lot - like a huge portion of the shopping population, apparently. But it is coming at a cost. I do think they are going to be hit - rightly or wrongly - for anti-trust at some point. Some of the politicos have already suggested going down that road. (Of course, they would have to face their constituents, too.)

There are many jobs at risk today due to this "just get it shipped" convenience we're living in. Brick and mortar stores, malls, etc., are in peril. Many haven't been able to compete. Just the ramifications of changing technology? Perhaps. The horse and buggy owners surely learned that back in the day.

Seems a little odd, but I think the Amazon effect can also lead to people leading more solitary lives in some respects. Why leave the house? Get everything delivered.

At some point, we may all find out that we're simply living in an Amazon world, and we'll be beholden to them for all that what we want/need - at the costs they determine, while essentially being devoid of competition. Sounds over the top, I know, but are we really that far off?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

In England it meant the luxury street with better shops .
Old 02-28-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
when we had New England telephone years ago, we got a free phone, free installation, free repair. After they were forced to break up, we had to buy the phone, pay for the installation and pay for repair. How did that help the consumer?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:58 AM

There’s far far more to this matter than just the home shopping service — and it’s too complicated to explain here. Go to PBS.org/Frontline and watch a very recent program on Amazon. It’s an eye opener, I assure you.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammendolia View Post
when we had New England telephone years ago, we got a free phone, free installation, free repair. After they were forced to break up, we had to buy the phone, pay for the installation and pay for repair. How did that help the consumer?
Phone service and products were MUCH more expensive before the break up of ATT and that's just facts.

Last edited by Westie Man; 02-28-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, high, delivery, street, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.