Amazon Delivery

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-27-2020, 01:36 PM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,981
Thanks: 906
Thanked 761 Times in 256 Posts
Default Amazon Delivery

I was out this morning. When I got home I had an email from Amazon telling me my package had been delivered and would I care to comment on delivery. Along with the comments on delivery there was a photo of my front door with the Amazon package tucked into a corner behind a chair on the front patio.

I am constantly hearing politicians talking about splitting up the giant companies like Amazon, but when you get this type of service what right does anyone have to break up such a company. I know all the arguments about them putting the Mom and Pop stores on the high street out of business and I fully understand that, my own Father had a high street store when I was growing up, so I know what it would have meant to him to have had an Amazon in those days. But, as a buyer, I LOVE Amazon and all their high tech improvements in buying and shipping.

What do you think?
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  #2  
Old 02-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Bjeanj Bjeanj is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,663
Thanks: 107
Thanked 896 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Same could be said for WalMart, I would think. So long as Amazon continues to perform/deliver as they have to date, I see no reason to “break them up.” And, how would they approach that? They should leave well enough alone.
__________________
Teach your daughter how to shoot, because a restraining order is just a piece of paper.
  #3  
Old 02-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,981
Thanks: 906
Thanked 761 Times in 256 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Same could be said for WalMart, I would think. So long as Amazon continues to perform/deliver as they have to date, I see no reason to “break them up.” And, how would they approach that? They should leave well enough alone.
But, unfortunately, Politicians cannot leave anything alone. If they were to be broken up I believe Bezoz would just break his company up into separate companies, and, because he is so far ahead of the game now, he would still come out on top.
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  #4  
Old 02-27-2020, 01:54 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,487
Thanks: 671
Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

I agree that Amazon provides a great and reliable service. But, there are Federal antitrust laws that are designed to allow free competition. I have noticed that, no matter what product you want to buy, it is almost always available on Amazon. I will often see a television commercial that promotes a website where you can buy the product. But, usually, you can buy the exact same product on Amazon, sometimes for a lower price. This means that the maker of the product can only compete by paying a fee to Amazon because they can't get enough customers to use their website. (One example is chewy.com for pet supplies). I don't have the answer, but, if you want to sell a product online, you almost have to share your profit with Amazon to be successful.
  #5  
Old 02-27-2020, 02:31 PM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennacamp, Fernandinia 2 Frogs
Posts: 7,160
Thanks: 19
Thanked 1,100 Times in 420 Posts
Default

Amazon kind of lives at our house. If it’s $$$ they deliver to my car. Can’t get better than that.

On a more important note. FedEx, and UPS drivers exceed the speed, will gun it as a golf cart is merging to get ahead. It’s an everyday experience.

However Amazon seems to be very observant with speed limit, will let others merge, they deserve a job well done one delivery’s.
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change
  #6  
Old 02-27-2020, 03:00 PM
alwann's Avatar
alwann alwann is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Village of Gilchrist
Posts: 623
Thanks: 1
Thanked 318 Times in 111 Posts
Default Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree that Amazon provides a great and reliable service. But, there are Federal antitrust laws that are designed to allow free competition. I have noticed that, no matter what product you want to buy, it is almost always available on Amazon. I will often see a television commercial that promotes a website where you can buy the product. But, usually, you can buy the exact same product on Amazon, sometimes for a lower price. This means that the maker of the product can only compete by paying a fee to Amazon because they can't get enough customers to use their website. (One example is chewy.com for pet supplies). I don't have the answer, but, if you want to sell a product online, you almost have to share your profit with Amazon to be successful.

I don't believe online retailers are under Amazon's thumb. No matter who they ship with, they have to pay for it, and the cost is passed on to the buyer -- us. It's cheaper for us to buy from merchants face to face and not pay for shipping, but we like the convenience of online shopping. I sometimes wonder what mail service would be like if Amazon ran the U.S. Postal Service. In fact, Amazon is already helping to keep USPS alive by using it for some deliveries. Let's not rush to throttle companies that know what they are doing because other companies whine. Remember the Bell System?
  #7  
Old 02-27-2020, 03:10 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,487
Thanks: 671
Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,825 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I don't believe online retailers are under Amazon's thumb. No matter who they ship with, they have to pay for it, and the cost is passed on to the buyer -- us. It's cheaper for us to buy from merchants face to face and not pay for shipping, but we like the convenience of online shopping. I sometimes wonder what mail service would be like if Amazon ran the U.S. Postal Service. In fact, Amazon is already helping to keep USPS alive by using it for some deliveries. Let's not rush to throttle companies that know what they are doing because other companies whine. Remember the Bell System?
I would point out that, when you have your product listed on Amazon, you are not just paying to ship it. You are sharing part of your business with Amazon. It is not merely a shipping company. In fact, a lot of products sold on Amazon are not even shipped by Amazon. They are shipped by the manufacturer.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 02-27-2020 at 03:19 PM.
  #8  
Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 PM
seoulbrooks's Avatar
seoulbrooks seoulbrooks is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Harbor Hills, Lady Lake
Posts: 203
Thanks: 37
Thanked 109 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Great company providing great service. Can not wait for the Amazon Internet to put some other over priced companies out of business.
__________________
DeFuniak Springs, Fl, Eglin AFB, Fl
Kindley Air Force Base, Bermuda, Keesler AFB, Ms
Lackland AFB, Tx, Edwards AFB, Ca
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
  #9  
Old 02-27-2020, 05:21 PM
New Englander New Englander is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Massachusetts, Pinellas, Now Sanibel
Posts: 1,586
Thanks: 336
Thanked 847 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I was out this morning. When I got home I had an email from Amazon telling me my package had been delivered and would I care to comment on delivery. Along with the comments on delivery there was a photo of my front door with the Amazon package tucked into a corner behind a chair on the front patio.

I am constantly hearing politicians talking about splitting up the giant companies like Amazon, but when you get this type of service what right does anyone have to break up such a company. I know all the arguments about them putting the Mom and Pop stores on the high street out of business and I fully understand that, my own Father had a high street store when I was growing up, so I know what it would have meant to him to have had an Amazon in those days. But, as a buyer, I LOVE Amazon and all their high tech improvements in buying and shipping.

What do you think?
I shop Amazon regularly and feel the same way you do.
__________________
Is this a great country or what?
  #10  
Old 02-28-2020, 05:49 AM
ts12755 ts12755 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 230
Thanks: 28
Thanked 304 Times in 111 Posts
Default

What does high street mean?
  #11  
Old 02-28-2020, 06:14 AM
Heyitsrick Heyitsrick is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 219
Thanks: 2
Thanked 274 Times in 115 Posts
Default

I use Amazon a lot - like a huge portion of the shopping population, apparently. But it is coming at a cost. I do think they are going to be hit - rightly or wrongly - for anti-trust at some point. Some of the politicos have already suggested going down that road. (Of course, they would have to face their constituents, too.)

There are many jobs at risk today due to this "just get it shipped" convenience we're living in. Brick and mortar stores, malls, etc., are in peril. Many haven't been able to compete. Just the ramifications of changing technology? Perhaps. The horse and buggy owners surely learned that back in the day.

Seems a little odd, but I think the Amazon effect can also lead to people leading more solitary lives in some respects. Why leave the house? Get everything delivered.

At some point, we may all find out that we're simply living in an Amazon world, and we'll be beholden to them for all that what we want/need - at the costs they determine, while essentially being devoid of competition. Sounds over the top, I know, but are we really that far off?
  #12  
Old 02-28-2020, 06:45 AM
J1ceasar J1ceasar is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 715
Thanks: 39
Thanked 535 Times in 277 Posts
Default

In England it meant the luxury street with better shops .
  #13  
Old 02-28-2020, 06:47 AM
jammendolia jammendolia is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 25
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Same could be said for WalMart, I would think. So long as Amazon continues to perform/deliver as they have to date, I see no reason to “break them up.” And, how would they approach that? They should leave well enough alone.
when we had New England telephone years ago, we got a free phone, free installation, free repair. After they were forced to break up, we had to buy the phone, pay for the installation and pay for repair. How did that help the consumer?
  #14  
Old 02-28-2020, 06:58 AM
WindyCityzen WindyCityzen is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 84
Thanks: 31
Thanked 76 Times in 38 Posts
Default

There’s far far more to this matter than just the home shopping service — and it’s too complicated to explain here. Go to PBS.org/Frontline and watch a very recent program on Amazon. It’s an eye opener, I assure you.
  #15  
Old 02-28-2020, 07:03 AM
Westie Man Westie Man is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 51
Thanks: 49
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammendolia View Post
when we had New England telephone years ago, we got a free phone, free installation, free repair. After they were forced to break up, we had to buy the phone, pay for the installation and pay for repair. How did that help the consumer?
Phone service and products were MUCH more expensive before the break up of ATT and that's just facts.

Last edited by Westie Man; 02-28-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, high, delivery, street, front

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.