Amazon Firestick vs Smart TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran member
Default Amazon Firestick vs Smart TV?

Given my lack of technical expertise, I am looking for a little help here. I want to buy my wife either a new smart TV or an Amazon Firestick (since she has - and loves - Alexa). Which would you recommend? Most of the TVs seem to come with a host of applications. Which applications would you suggest for the TV or Firestick. She is a regular Netflix user now. Thanks for any advice you have to offer.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:42 AM

If you are looking to use major apps like Netflix or Hulu, either option works. And you don't have to get a firestick to get an amazon app. My LG smart TV has an amazon app on it. Basically, a smart TV with the apps built in is a minor convenience over plugging in a stick or device. On the other hand, a firestick or a roku, etc. are portable and can be moved from one TV or another and even taken on vacation with you if you stay somewhere that has wifi.

These things are getting somewhat redundant. I have a smart TV, with a smart bluray player hooked to it, and Xfinity hooked in as well. I can launch and watch netflix on any of those devices. And to add to that, I never do it but a 4th option would be to launch netflix on my smartphone and then screen share it to my TV. How many different methods do we need to get to Netflix on the same TV screen? Haha
Old 05-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,677 Times in 5,229 Posts

I would recommend that you buy a blu-ray player with built-in wifi and that includes the Amazon App. It will essentially convert your tv into a smart tv, will have most of the popular streaming apps, and will also allow you to play dvds and cds. These players are available for about $75. Just make sure that is has wifi.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:13 PM

I, too, have a smart LG tv with Amazon App, but I find the controls that come with the Firestick and its control are easier to use, so generally go that route even though I could use the LG tv. The portability is a great thing to have as well with the Firestick.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

Thank you to each of you. While we were talking about this today, our internet connection went down (Spectrum). We were trying to decide if our smart TV would be enough and had given up until we realized it was our internet that was down. I think we will end up with a firestick. How will that work with Alexa (echo dot)?
Old 05-31-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
Thank you to each of you. While we were talking about this today, our internet connection went down (Spectrum). We were trying to decide if our smart TV would be enough and had given up until we realized it was our internet that was down. I think we will end up with a firestick. How will that work with Alexa (echo dot)?
I think you can use "Alexa" to control your firestick. I've never tried it myself. I have 2 Amazon echoes and find that I use them to control smart plugs for turning lamps on and off or I use it to stream music or talk radio as I have it hooked into my SiriusXM account.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:54 PM

If you get a Firestick make sure it's 4k capable, as a new TV will most likely be 4k. The devices under $50 are usually 1080p.

Amazon Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD and Alexa Voice Remote - Streaming Media Player

The Firestick works with Alexa voice commands from your remote, Echo or Dot.

Remember, the picture quality will mostly depend on the TV you chose and there are many good choices.

I prefer the streaming sticks/devices as they have an extraordinary amount of apps as compared to smart TVs. I also have Smart TVs and Smart Blueray players and have found they aren't as fast as the streaming sticks and are slow to update and add new apps.

The price difference between a Smart TV and a TV + streaming device is negligible these days.

YMMV, good luck.

Last edited by VIN574; 05-31-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:09 AM
Gold member

I have 4 smart tv's and 4 Firesticks, I just like the Firestick better.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Once again, thank you all. It looks like the Firestick is the way to go for us since we have Alexa. As some of you have mentioned, we have been disappointed in the limited number of apps available for our smart TVs/DVDs.

Tags
firestick, amazon, applications, smart, host

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.