American Cars vs Foreign Cars

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Gold member

We moved to FL from the Detroit burbs.
Except for the Tbird as shown we have driven Lexus, Acura and Infinitis since 1990 except for a 1995 Corvette.
I had way to many GM CRAP cars.
We traded our Infinti M35 with 16k miles last fall because it needed tires way to prematurely and I prefer to lease as I like a new car every 2-3 years.
We leased a 2011 lincoln MKS.
My wife likes it better and I do "feel" good about driving a car that is from FOMOCO.
The president of our investment club told the members if everyone got an American car the economy would boom.
So he goes out and gets a Lexus and another guy a Hyundai. Hypocrit.
Anyway get what you want its your $$.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Gold member

I believe the subject has become irrelevant in todays world economy. All autos are made from parts from numerous countries. Most large auto manufacturers have plants all over the world. Americans (or their mutual funds) own stock in foreign auto manufacturers and share in their profits. American unions caused the opening of the domestic auto market by pricing their labor, and subsequently, the autos they made out of competition with foreign manufacturers. Unions, and their members, cannot change the facts by intimidation and shaming Americans. Make a better vehicle and a resaonable price and you will sell vehicles. Union scale wages drive up prices of everything in the areas so you need even higher wages to get by.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
... Union scale wages drive up prices ...
I think that's yesterday's issue. Unions have lost a lot of power (at least in the private sector). Wages have been flat for over a decade. Pensions have nearly disappeared. Benefit and health care cost have been pushed back to the worker.

At the same time, CEOs and top executives continue to prosper (compensation equivalent to 300 workers), and Corporations gladly take taxpayer subsides and handouts.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sknt-UBRhxo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sknt-UBRhxo[/ame]
Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Made in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaParkersburg View Post
I just researched and you are 100% Right. Is any car made in America anymore? Why are we giving our country away. I will pay more for Made in the USA just because it gives an American a job.
My "foreign car", a Honda Accord, was made in Maryville Ohio as are all Accords. The parts were probably made in Japan along with a lot of the parts for American made cars. If you count Canada as America, and I do, then more cars are aAmetrican but the unions may not agree.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Gold member

Then all of the vehicles built in Mexico are American too? I used to have a Chrysler PT Cruiser which was built in Mexico.

As mentioned earlier the automotive waters are muddy indeed.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
Then all of the vehicles built in Mexico are American too?...........
Was it built in 'North America'? Yes.

Was it built in 'The United States of America'? No.

Yes, muddy waters indeed!

Bill
Old 04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

My previous car -- Chevy Equinox -- assembled in Canada, engine from China, tranny from Japan.
My current car -- Kia Sorento -- assembled in West Point, Georgia, engine and tranny also from Georgia.
Go figure.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default It is pretty simple! Which cars y'all bought that kept

jobs in manufacturing in the USA?

btk
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Gold member

Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 PM

I have purchased alot of cars in my days. Growing up I would buy nothing but a GM. During the 70's, 80's & 90's they made alot of bad cars, as well did Ford and Chrysler. I went to Toyota in 2005, they make a great car. Since then I have bought two GM's and one Dodge. They have been great cars. I think all US made auto's have come along ways in the last ten years. I probally will buy another one next time.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 AM

I say we should all buy foreign labeled cars! We know that a good chunk of the money we spend on foreign products even though they are assembled here in the USA, goes back to the mother country. We also know that the people in those countries need our dollars so much more than people in the USA do. Earning $12 per hour in a Toyota factory in the USA just makes so much more sense than working for a USA company and earning a decent wage and also keeps the money here at home.

Makes me want to puke seeing all the foreign vehicles on the highways in my (and your) USA! How stupid can one country and it's people get?

I love this country and will always buy American when I can.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Gold member

As mentioned before on this thread the current global economy has turned the auto industry upside down.

On the other hand, the tens of thousands of jobs created by foreign brands with plants in the U.S. as well as their parts suppliers, their dealerships etc. is a good thing.

Plus this competition is motivating the U.S. brands to build better cars which is reflected in their increasing sales and quality reports.

Overalll, not an all bad situation. Just IMO.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
My "foreign car", a Honda Accord, was made in Maryville Ohio as are all Accords. The parts were probably made in Japan along with a lot of the parts for American made cars. If you count Canada as America, and I do, then more cars are aAmetrican but the unions may not agree.
My American company makes most of the steel used in your Honda , Toyota or Subaru.
We also sell to GM , Chrysler and Ford. The tolerances for all the produced steel is much more critical for the foreign cars.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUREK View Post
... The tolerances for all the produced steel is much more critical for the foreign cars.
Which tolerances were tighter for foreign auto makers.... Chemical composition of the steel or the dimensional tolerances for thickness/hardness, etc...

Thanks....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I say we should all buy foreign labeled cars! We know that a good chunk of the money we spend on foreign products even though they are assembled here in the USA, goes back to the mother country. We also know that the people in those countries need our dollars so much more than people in the USA do. Earning $12 per hour in a Toyota factory in the USA just makes so much more sense than working for a USA company and earning a decent wage and also keeps the money here at home.

Makes me want to puke seeing all the foreign vehicles on the highways in my (and your) USA! How stupid can one country and it's people get?

I love this country and will always buy American when I can.
So now the people of the US are stupid--Apparently you just can't express your point without becoming insulting. If you read the various posts you will see that the issue of what is an American car is really unclear. People will buy the products which generally give them the most satisfaction ie price, style,safety performance or whatever turns them on. If that happens to be an American Legacy name , that's ok. If the name is Toyota and it's made in Kentucky that's great too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.