American Cars vs Foreign Cars

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Patriotism

I think that any reasonable person reading most of the previous post here would realize that neither union busting, nor lack of patriotism, nor lack of sensitivity for American workers is driving the car buying decisions of consumers. If they build a better car-as good or better than those with foreign names, I am positive that we would buy them.

PS: that assumes that the prices are competitive
Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Default Cars

With all the conversations about our UNIONS today I would like to think they care for the American people but they don't. That being said the American car Cameo is being build in Canada. Remember is all about the almighty buck and don't let anyone tell you any different. I don't trust any unions anymore, I use to work for one years ago.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaman View Post
My previous car -- Chevy Equinox -- assembled in Canada, engine from China, tranny from Japan.
My current car -- Kia Sorento -- assembled in West Point, Georgia, engine and tranny also from Georgia.
Go figure.
Oh yeah.... The U.S Made in Georgia Kia.. I heard that the laid off GM workers in Georgia were real glad to find a job with Kia when their GM plant closed..... We should also mention the New tire plant that was built in Macon, GA to build the KUMHO brand tires for the new Kia SORENTO auto plant. Those 2500 rubber workers and truck drivers and support suppliers are real happy to be working and spending their Dollars earned at the Korean plants right here in the USA. .......But what do I know ....I buy all my gasoline at SAMS CLUB or the Murphys gas station that WalMart owns....Oh I remember why I buy my gas there....it is all Domestic production Crude oil that is refined right here in the USA with US workers and US truck drivers doing the deliveries.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Default Support our country, Buy american

I was born in America, I have always lived in America, and I will die as an American, Therefore I will always support the American economy at all costs! I also know people who have American made cars and trucks that they have driven well over 200,000 miles. Especially Ford and GM. If you take pride in your car and service it as recommended, you will also own your American car or truck for many years.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmangione View Post
I was born in America, I have always lived in America, and I will die as an American, Therefore I will always support the American economy at all costs! I also know people who have American made cars and trucks that they have driven well over 200,000 miles. Especially Ford and GM. If you take pride in your car and service it as recommended, you will also own your American car or truck for many years.
Admirable and I always had American cars until this past year. I got a great deal on a Toyota for my daughter and after driving it and noting the quality, I traded in the last American car I had and bought a Toyota.

Everyone who is adamant about buying USA built goods, does this apply to everything you buy or just automobiles ? For example, almost all consumer computers these days are completely designed, developed, tested and built overseas someplace. Then, the label of the company (Dell, etc) is placed on it and it is shipped from China or Taiwan or another place like that. Same with software. Much of the "US companies" software is actually architected and developed overseas and then shipped using the "American companies" logo.

Which would you rather have, American companies who have all their work offshored or international companies who have manufacturing and development facilities in the US ? It is all about money.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default American or Foreign?

I drive a Japanese Honda Accord made in Marysville, Ohio. Best of both worlds.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmangione View Post
I own two cars. One Ford Explorer (made in USA) and one Volkswagen (made in Germany).

Explorer: The bad, all the time some repairs. Second alternator, third starter, need alignment all 6 month (drive just on highway), Electric has when car is cold flicker and goes up and down and many more problems.

The good: All parts are very inexpensive and easy to repair.

Volkswagen: The good. Nothing ever was wrong, just the regular waer parts.
And is build with high standards and quality.
The Bad: All the parts are very expensive, almost triple price compare to American parts.

And the resume: I love both of my cars in different ways, and I do not care about the origin.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Default American? Foreign?

I drive a Pontiac. Obviously, that's American, though now an orphan killed off by GM.

Or is it American? I drive a Pontiac Vibe (which was killed off even before the whole Pontiac line). It was made in Carmichael, CA ... in a Toyota plant. And, I'm told, is a clone of the Toyota Matrix.

BTW, I bought it used. At a Honda dealer.

An international economy, right here in North Florida.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I don't think it is a union's business what type of car an employee drives. The antics by union people as explained in earlier post upset me. During the bailouts the unions undeservingly received a % of the business while legitimate creditors (bondholders) lost their right of claim. The government will always contend that the bailout was necessary but it was not and if allowed to go through bankrputcy procedures would have come out of it just fine.

After the bailout were complee the unions asked for all the concessions they made to be returned and a week later the top management of GM divided millions in bonus to each of them

I was in the process of buying a car and because of the unions demand for return of concessions and senior management division of millions I called the Cadillac agent and told him I would not complete my sale with him and had given him the reason. I purchased a comparable Honda product which was my first choice but ...I wanted to buy American The problem is these American Auto Mfg could care less anymore about having pride in working toward brand loyalty.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrgeezer View Post
I drive a Pontiac. Obviously, that's American, though now an orphan killed off by GM.

Or is it American? I drive a Pontiac Vibe (which was killed off even before the whole Pontiac line). It was made in Carmichael, CA ... in a Toyota plant. And, I'm told, is a clone of the Toyota Matrix.

BTW, I bought it used. At a Honda dealer.

An international economy, right here in North Florida.
Up until January of this year we had a Pontiac Vibe too (great car!). Yes it is the exact same car as the Toyota Matrix with different body work. All Toyota mechanicals. The interiors are identical. We preffered the exterior styling of the Vibe vs. Matrix.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Veteran member
Default BUY made in USA

With the state of the economy, we need to buy products made or assembled in the USA. Your children and grandchildren's futures depend. Washington is talking about cutting SS and medicare now. The funding comes from payroll taxes in the USA not some foreign country!
Not "self serving" we do not have children and are 9 years from collecting SS, just an American for 56 years.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 AM

I will buy all goods with an "MADE IN USA" label on them. And yes, everyone knows that you cannot purchase ALL items only made in the U.S you are not the only person in the world that has this knowledge. And furthermore "my" "personal" opinion is that the new american manufacturers have the same quality as Toyota or Nissan etc. "And "my personal" opinion is people who purchase Toyota vs. American manufacturers have a bias and only look as far as Toyota and never even look at a Chevrolet, Chrysler, or Ford product and see the "true quality" these new products do have.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
With the state of the economy, we need to buy products made or assembled in the USA. Your children and grandchildren's futures depend. Washington is talking about cutting SS and medicare now. The funding comes from payroll taxes in the USA not some foreign country!
Not "self serving" we do not have children and are 9 years from collecting SS, just an American for 56 years.
I agree and that includes the big three automakers but also includes Toyota, Honda, Hyundai etc that all have manufacturing plants here in the USA
Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Default Cars/Unions

Can't one support teachers and not a union?.....My BMW was made in South Carolina; I'm a retired educator.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.