Ancestry.com

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 AM

A little over a yer ago two of my nieces had their DNA tested. The test results listed them as first cousins. It also revealed that they both had two first cousins that they were not aware of, one of these cousins lived near them and another lived in Sweden. My investigation revealed that the cousin in Sweden was definitely my daughter who I was not aware of and the other was definitely my deceased brother's son that no one in the family was aware of. Of course I had to get my DNA tested and the results were conclusive.

We recently had a family reunion so we could all meet the newly found family members. My Swedish daughter looked more like my family than her mother's. By the way her mother (deceased) would never tell her who her father was and she had never told or tried to contact me. My newly found nephew looked more like my brother than his son who we have known all his life.

Being a former LEO I think I have some investigative skills and my investigation along with DNA results have convinced me that DNA does not lie.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

I think a lot of the information they provide is bogus. I wouldn't pay anything for it. But, even if it was accurate, I just don't care about my ancestry.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOHNS2654 View Post
A little over a yer ago two of my nieces had their DNA tested. The test results listed them as first cousins. It also revealed that they both had two first cousins that they were not aware of, one of these cousins lived near them and another lived in Sweden. My investigation revealed that the cousin in Sweden was definitely my daughter who I was not aware of and the other was definitely my deceased brother's son that no one in the family was aware of. Of course I had to get my DNA tested and the results were conclusive.

We recently had a family reunion so we could all meet the newly found family members. My Swedish daughter looked more like my family than her mother's. By the way her mother (deceased) would never tell her who her father was and she had never told or tried to contact me. My newly found nephew looked more like my brother than his son who we have known all his life.

Being a former LEO I think I have some investigative skills and my investigation along with DNA results have convinced me that DNA does not lie.
This is a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I remember when cameras were first going up in public places. A lot of people called it invasion of privacy. But we now clearly see the benefits that those camera provide. With new technology comes questions and suspicions, and rightly so. But I believe that many benefits of DNA testing are out there waiting to be seen.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,619 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Are you also related to Henry the 8th? Or the Queen of England? Or George Washington?
I don’t know or care. Are you?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

Wife and I sent our DNA to ancestry.com as a Christmas gift to each other just for fun and information. What came back was very “general” and there was nothing that we didn’t already know from some research we did a few years ago. Sort of disappointed. We figured we had nothing to hide from anybody and didn’t give security matters a second thought. However, I know some friends and acquaintances who are close to being paranoid about their private matters and security to the point that it has become the major priority for them. Just because your credit card may be compromised is no reason to quit using credit cards. Its quite okay to have concern about your personal information and be careful not to give out certain personal information (i.e. Soc. Sec #’s, address, phone numbers to perfect strangers, etc). “Everything will be all right with you, when you are all right with everything”. anonymous
Old 09-24-2019, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,736 Posts

Old 09-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We have a forensic anthropologist DNA 5000bc, specializes in Egyptian, Native Mexico, Native Alaskan. Since he travels the world for data, we have quite an extensive Research. We got a better deal, but the education was more than $49.95
Old 09-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

I had mine done, and they sent the results to the police. Evidently I was Jack the Ripper.
Trial ccomes up next month!!
Old 09-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I had mine done, and they sent the results to the police. Evidently I was Jack the Ripper.
Trial ccomes up next month!!
Reincarnated " Jack the Ripper ", so I guess you will be referred to as Jack the Ripper Part II. Interesting.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Ancester's

I spent about 2 years doing research on my ancestor's on both my father's and mother's side. For my brothers 90th birthday I gave him a chart that listed our fathers ancestor's going back to 1587. It was a real eye opener. In each case I listed our string of grandfathers, wives maiden names and their children. and all their birth dates and dates of their deaths. I understand that a lot of people don't care to know their ancestor's however it is a terrific way to get to know your background. I will not go through some of the high points as it only opens an avenue for some to try to act like critics or be pretend comics. A couple of good places to start are Ancester.com or MyHeritage. There are a bunch of other sources but these are good for starters.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:01 PM

I have used it and it has connected me with some of my family that I had never met before. As for the DNA, with all the blood tests done in my life I really don't see the problem so the outcome for me was good. But I understand that there may be hesitation for some, which is quite alright.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,736 Posts

The DNAs in 1587 may not have been that accurate. Don’t they say 6 degrees of Separation? We are actually related to everyone on the earth.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:35 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The DNAs in 1587 may not have been that accurate. Don’t they say 6 degrees of Separation? We are actually related to everyone on the earth.

You are so right my brother from a different mother.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I had mine done and found out I was not related to my father's brother's nephew's cousin's sister's former room mate. I am a believer.
Closed Thread

Tags
find, interesting, children, non-believer, ancestry.com

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.