Anchorage (Eagle River) AK

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2017, 05:16 AM
Default Anchorage (Eagle River) AK

Has anyone lived in Anchorage or the area for an amount of time?
I am moving there and would like info on travel recently on the Alcan Highway.
Is there cell phone coverage a lot of the way and what does one do if car stops working and cell phone service is NOT available?
When flying there prior, how do you avoid $93 daily car rental fees?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

A quick search revealed this.

About Us - The MILEPOST

If I were to ever drive up there, I think I would definitely buy that book.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Lots of my librarian friends from the University of Denver were from Alaska or moved there. Looks like a good place to live for some. I would contact the librarian in that area and start asking some questions with their reference service. Chugiak-Eagle River Branch Library

MOA Departments Divisions and Offices Library

Had a U of MN law student acquaintance who moved up there after law school to practice and do a lot of outdoor stuff unfortunately she died in a truck accident.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-12-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:27 PM

I was stationed in Anchorage for 3 years, 1985 to 88. Took the ferry from Seattle to Haines. Yes, we bought the Milepost. I would Google as much as I could to get those questions answered. Not sure how much cell coverage there'd be in British Columbia, Yukon, NW Territories, etc. Was beautiful country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Default Live here now

6 years until I retire...Have been here since 1979, so I guess I can qualify.

Milepost is the absolute bible of the highway.
FAQ: Driving the Alaska Highway - The MILEPOST

Trip Planner: The Alaska Canada Highway | Guide | Road Trip Planner | AlCan | Photos

There are tons of websites with advice and tons of RVs coming and going over the summer.

And depending on how safe/connected you want to be, you can try something like this: Alaskan Discovery RV Tours: RV caravan tours to Alaska and the Yukon. Pets are welcome!

That is super cheap for car rental, especially during the summer which is tourist season. Where did you want to drive. They do have bus routes if you are just going to tourist things. Maybe rent a car for just a few days and the rest take the bus. (Friends do a lot of Foreign Exchange teens so we do a lot by bus with them.
MapsAndSchedules
Old 06-13-2017, 05:16 AM

I drove the Alcan twice, in and out. I lived in Kenai, south of Anchorage for 7 years from 2005-2012, before I moved here. There are dead zones for cell coverage. I wouldn't worry about car trouble, in the summer lots of cars on the Alcan, someone will stop to help. The road is great but under construction quite a bit in the summer, they have always have one lane open and alternate with pilot cars to lead you out of the construction. Beautiful drive and one the most memorable experiences of my life, take your time. If your really concerned, a satellite phone may work, but we never felt the need. Never rented a car as I always had my own, but yes, it's expensive in the summer but other posting have given you some good references.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:55 AM

I have to chuckle a little bit about being worried about not having cell coverage. We drove the Alaskan Hwy. both directions back in 76. Of course there wasn't anything like cell phones then. We had 4 flat tires on the way up and as I was just 2 weeks from having had surgery, I couldn't change them. Always found a helpful traveler to help out. Back in those days the highway was dirt the complete distance. It quickly turned to mud after any rain.

Now days with the road being paved and a lot more places for service along the way, I think it would be a boring drive except for the spectacular views!

Just get the Milepost book (we had one back then) and go and enjoy the beautiful trip. Vehicles are a ton more dependable now than they were 40 years ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, anchorage, phone, cell, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.