Veterans Support Organization Scam alert

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Default Veterans Support Organization Scam alert

Just came back from Publix at Mulberry, these 2 guys in military fatigues with buckets for your donation out in front. I remember this video on these bozo's which I am about to show you. Its a scam, most of these guys have never been in the military and a lot of them are felons. You will from time to time see them at other shopping centers around the area.

http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com...-is-it_15.html
Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

As a Viet Nam veteran, I am aware that some of these things are scams just as some of those folks that hold up signs saying "veteran...please help" are also scams. But I figure that the dollar or 2 that I give them will not make one bit of difference in my life, but very well may make a tiny bit of difference in their life. So I will continue to give and hope that "karma" punishes those that are dishonest. I know that it is probably not the smartest thing I have ever done, but one of those guys may really be a brother and I would rather give to a fraud than deny a fellow vet in need.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM

Brost, its an outright scam, it broke my heart to watch all these old veterans putting money into their scam, shame on you for that post, as a veteran I feel dishonered.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

I think Brostholder seems like a very decent guy - and Sparky, I would not belittle him like you did.

If you do not want to donate money to a person because you believe it is part of a scam, don't donate. No one is holding a gun to your head. However, let everyone do what they want to do. Have respect and tolerance for others.

Do you think the "vets" asking for money are making tons of money doing this? They are either doing it for food, rent, or maybe even booze. They are not doing it to get rich but probably because they do not have a job for some reason. Do not condemn others because all of us could just be one step from where they are right now.

Remember Jesus' words: You fed me when I was hungry; you clothed me when I was naked. All part of being a Christian, Sparky.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Is everyone burying their heads in the sand on this one, guys are dying defending our freedoms and you are taking up for these crooks, what the hell is the matter with you?
There are no vets in this, Helllllllllo
Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Veteran member

Hey sparky...........might be someones brother, cousin, son, etc.............
Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Location: Detroit, Mi. Greenville, Mi. Royal Oak, Mi, The Villages

There were two of these guys at the Publix near Buenos Aires today around 2PM. They had a table set up with donation canisters at both the entrance and exit door. Do they have to have a permit to solicit donations in our shopping centers?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-30 View Post
Brost, its an outright scam, it broke my heart to watch all these old veterans putting money into their scam, shame on you for that post, as a veteran I feel dishonered.
Sparky, I certainly didn't mean to anger you. As I sit here typing this I am remembering friends who didn't make it back as well as those that did, but have struggled with unseen wounds and have not been able to be as successful in life as I have been. I will continue to give when someone asks, even if I am sometimes suspicious that he may be going home and using my money to put gas in his Ferrari. I also give to help fellow vets through other charities and other personal actions. The only reason I mention that is so you don't think that the dollar I give to someone is depriving someone else of that same dollar. Thank you for your service.
B
Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran member

These guys were in front of Walgreens at the Colony Plaza today (sunday).
Why would anybody give to these guys after finding out they're running a scam? Perhaps they think it's small change compared to the millions that the nice Nigerian fellow is sending.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 PM

Brost I can see your heart is in the right place,but these guys are dishonering all our fighting and dying vets that took place. Please everyone, dont support these crooks.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

I can see that Sparky is very sincere about this issue; but what about Christian compassion?

If you think it is a scam - confront them about it or call the police.

If you are not willing to do that - be tolerant of others.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Gold member

I'm a Vietnam vet, and like Sparky, I won't give to anyone unless they are from an organization I recognize. If there are guys/gals from the American Legion, VFW, Disabled Vets, etc., I open the wallet. For guys sitting in front of a K-Mart wearing fatigues and asking for donations, I'll be asking a bunch of questions and probably will want a verifiable internet reference before I give. I avoid giving money to any panhandlers, including those pretending to be vets.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Veteran member

Collie was saying he gives to veteran organizatons such as American Legion, DAV, VFW, etc when he sees them collecting money for projects. That is good - and I do also - when it is for specific projects.

It is surprising to lots of veterans who belong to these organizations (especially National Rifle Assn - even though that is not specifically for vets), that the organizations are big time lobbyists in Washington DC. They are no different than the lobbyists for healthcare, pharmacy products, or any other represented groups. The lobbyists take your dues and use them to try and buy influence with members of Congress or the staff members of Congressmen. Basically, it means the money you give in dues helps to buy lunch for a Congressman.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I select 3 charities a year and when asked for donations I respond by saying I give to X Y and Z and if I was going to give more I would send it to one of them. Do the same with telephone requests. That way I know where the funds go, what they support and who gets the benefits. Usually two of the three are Fisher House and Salvation Army. And the one other changes year to year depending on events and needs. Taking this approach, the amount is somewhat controlled, I know how it's spent, and I select who, how much and when I support. Has worked well for me over the years.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 PM

I stopped at the Marion County Sheriff's office in The Villages, told him about it and asked him to watch the video, I asked about a permit, he said on private property they dont need one.
My suggestion is to ask these guys in fatigues for Military ID.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.